Re: [SCA-Archery] sca archery history

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
      Target archery took place at the second tourney.  In the photo section of this group there is a photo "Early sca archery" that shows the target in the background.

      Jon

      On May 30, 2010, at 1:04 AM, Kirby wrote:

      I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to find information on how long archery has been a part of the sca? where was it started?

    • Kirby Campbell
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010

        I agree with your statement sir about the FITA target not being as period for shoots as we would like. What ways would you suggest on ranking archers throughout the society?

        Target archery took place at the second tourney.  In the photo section of this group there is a photo "Early sca archery" that shows the target in the background.

        Jon

        On May 30, 2010, at 1:04 AM, Kirby wrote:

        I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to find information on how long archery has been a part of the sca? where was it started?

      • THL Caedmon Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
          On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Kirby Campbell <kkidder@...> wrote:

          > I agree with your statement sir about the FITA target not being as period for shoots as we would like. What ways would you suggest on ranking archers throughout the society?

          One could use target types that were period. And some targets may not
          necessary be targets, per se, but things that were present and used as
          a practice target on the fly. Things like wreaths, stumps, fence
          post, Italians and see how closely you land your arrows in the ground
          at a distance.

          Alternately, you could develop a system based on winning and losing
          challenges. You challenge another archer to a contest of skill, you
          agree on a contest, then compete. The winner gains stature, the loser
          does not.

          -Caedmon
        • Bill Moore
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
            Got something against Italians do you? ;)

            Edward

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
              On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Bill Moore <billm64@...> wrote:

              > Got something against Italians do you? ;)
              >
              > Edward

              As a target, they are much better dressed than say, Spaniards or Gauls. :)

              -Caedmon
            • ICE TIGER
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                Shoot the French...it's a tradition in England.
                Dalton

                > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Bill Moore
                > <billm64@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Got something against Italians do you? ;)
                > >
                > > Edward
                >
                > As a target, they are much better dressed than say, Spaniards or
                > Gauls.  :)
                >
                > -Caedmon

              • ronan mackee
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                  True True But I found out the Norse move slower than the french those french are like little roaches on the war field . Ahh but the Norse make more fun target to play with even better when they run away

                  ronan

                  Shoot the French...it' s a tradition in England.
                  Dalton

                  > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Bill Moore
                  > <billm64@verizon. net> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Got something against Italians do you? ;)
                  > >
                  > > Edward
                  >
                  > As a target, they are much better dressed than say, Spaniards or
                  > Gauls.  :)
                  >
                  > -Caedmon

                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                    I see no real problem with continuing to use the FITA target for practices since it provides a consistent method of providing a simple numerical  system for keeping track of your shooting level and improvement from practice to practice and comparing scores to those of other archers in other kingdoms.  It is also convenient for dividing archers by rank into divisions for some competitions.  A good ranking system should include more than shooting at fixed targets at known distances.

                    However, it could be replaced with a standard period looking target face with a roundel with a "peg" within a circle.  The roundel, "peg" and circle with be of a standard size and would have a set scoring value.  See the files section of this group for:  "A Period Archery Target for the SCA"  (and the three separate files of illustrations for the article) and "Period Target.pdf". This could provide the same useful information as the FITA face.

                    However, his would require that most of the kingdoms would agree to this change.  And that would most likely only happen if a majority of the archers wanted the change to take place.  Perhaps the Society Deputy Marshal for target archery might have some ideas on this.

                    For competitions at events I would like to see the roundel and other period style targets and scoring, hit/miss,  used instead of the modern multi-ring targets with multi-point value scoring.
                    See the files section of this group for my article on "Period Targets and Competitions".  There is a good looking roundel target example in the files under "Decorated Period Target".

                    Jon

                    On Jun 1, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Kirby Campbell wrote:

                    I agree with your statement sir about the FITA target not being as period for shoots as we would like. What ways would you suggest on ranking archers throughout the society?

                  • Hobbe
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                      I sort of like the Carolingian Company of Bowmen ranking system.
                      http://www.kellswood.com/ccb/rankshoot.php
                      I could see a variation on this working well for the SCA.
                      All you need to make targets are scissors and a ruler.
                      ~Hobbe