Re: [SCA-Archery] Arrow questions.

  • Dave Poulin
    Message 1 of 18 , May 29, 2010
      Come to the dark side...

      Antony

      From: SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com [mailto: SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Cleve Johnson
      Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 11:12 PM
      To: SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Arrow questions.

      I am taking a poll.

      1)  What spine weight are your arrows? 75ish

      2)  What length are your arrows? 14

      3)  Do you use steel field points?  If so, what weigth (ex. 100 gr, 125 gr, etc...)? 125

      4)  Do you use plastic nocks or self nocks? None

      5)  Do you use 3 fletch or 4 fletch? 2

      6)  What colors do you use? Red or Yellow currently

      Thank you for your assistance?

      Eadric of Grenfeld,

      Barony of Sternfeld/Constella tion Region/Middle Kingdom

      Cleve Johnson

      "Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."

    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 18 , May 29, 2010
        Always good to see folks doing market research to give us more suppliers.
        Carolus

      • kweancel@raex.com
        Message 3 of 18 , May 29, 2010
          Agreed; however, I would strongly recomend folks replying privately, so the list doesn't fill our email buffers.
                Ancel

          > Always good to see folks doing market research to give us more suppliers.
          > Carolus

          > Cleve Johnson wrote:
          >>

          >> The reason for the poll is to figure out what supplies to
          keep on hand
          >> because I have been getting opportunities to make arrows for other
          >> people. I realize that many archers in the SCA already make their
          >> own, but if I can get find out what most people on this list use, that
          >> would help me to know if I need to keep a supply of more than one
          >> weight for points, more than one spine weight for shafts, etc....
          >>

          >> Eadric
          >>
          >> /*Cleve Johnson */
          />>> lighttrek@... <mailto:lighttrek@...>

          >> www.books.lighttrek.com
          <http://www.books.lighttrek.com/>

          >> */"Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."/*

          />>> >
          >> > 6) What colors do you use?
          >> >
          >> > Thank you for your assistance?
          >> >
          >> > Eadric of Grenfeld,
          >>
          > Barony of Sternfeld/Constellation Region/Middle Kingdom
          />>> >

          >> > /*Cleve Johnson */

          >> > lighttrek@...
          <mailto:lighttrek%40sbcglobal.net>
          >> <mailto:lighttrek@... <mailto:lighttrek%40sbcglobal.net>>
          >> > www.books.lighttrek.com <http://www.books.lighttrek.com/>
          >> <http://www.books.lighttrek.com/>
          >> >
          >> > */"Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."/*

          >> 05/27/10 11:30:00

          />>>

          >> 13:17:00

        • Des & Jan Howard
          Message 4 of 18 , May 29, 2010
            Ancel
            Dunno about that. I'm curious as to what parts others
            favour in their equipment choices. If the info also
            helps a merchant, well & good.
            Ranif

            kweancel@... wrote:
            > Agreed; however, I would strongly recomend folks replying privately, so
            > the list doesn't fill our email buffers.

            -32.656072 149.840624
          • Des & Jan Howard
            Message 5 of 18 , May 29, 2010
              Cleve Johnson wrote:
              > I am taking a poll.
              > 1) What spine weight are your arrows?
              30-35
              > 2) What length are your arrows?
              28"
              > 3) Do you use steel field points? If so, what weigth (ex. 100 gr, 125
              > gr, etc...)?
              Yes, 100gr
              > 4) Do you use plastic nocks or self nocks?
              plastic
              > 5) Do you use 3 fletch or 4 fletch?
              4 x 3" parabolic
              > 6) What colors do you use?
              alternate red/white, white nocks
              Regards
              Ranif
              -32.656072 149.840624
            • Guy
              Message 6 of 18 , May 29, 2010
                As an individual who makes and sells arrows, I'll give you what I have found works best.

                1) What spine weight are your arrows?
                I stock shafts from 30/34 spine to 60/64 and occasionally find it necessary to buy heavier. You didn't ask about materials but I use Sitka spruce but may be stocking POC soon. Also have bamboo.

                2) What length are your arrows?
                Somewhat unnecessary question since shafts usually come 32" and get cut down as necessary. Bamboo may be obtained in 100cm, about 38".

                3) Do you use steel field points? If so, what weigth (ex. 100 gr, 125 gr, etc...)?
                This question also needs shaft diameter to be helpful: 5/16" shafts = 100gr and 125gr. 11/32" shaft usually 125gr but sometimes 145gr. I have not yet met anyone in the SCA who uses 23/64" shafts.

                4) Do you use plastic nocks or self nocks?
                Both. I've settled on Bohning classic for plastic nocks and have found it necessary to keep all available colors in both 5/16 and 11/32 on hand.

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Cleve Johnson <lighttrek@...> wrote:

                > I am taking a poll.
                >
                > 1)  What spine weight are your arrows?
                >
                > 2)  What length are your arrows?
                >
                > 3)  Do you use steel field points?  If so, what weigth (ex. 100 gr, 125 gr, etc...)?
                >
                > 4)  Do you use plastic nocks or self nocks?
                >
                > 5)  Do you use 3 fletch or 4 fletch?
                >
                > 6)  What colors do you use?
                >
                > Thank you for your assistance?
                >
                > Eadric of Grenfeld,
                > Barony of Sternfeld/Constellation Region/Middle Kingdom
                >

                > Cleve Johnson
                > lighttrek@...
                > www.books.lighttrek.com
                >
                > "Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."

              • Guy Taylor
                Message 7 of 18 , May 29, 2010
                  Sorry, that message sent before I was ready. Here is the rest:

                  5)  Do you use 3 fletch or 4 fletch?
                  This question may not give you really helpful information. While I normally advocate 3 fletch, I've found SCA archers to be oddly fond of 4 fletch. Many people say this is so they don't have to worry about how the arrow is nocked during a speed round. My reply is that with an index nock they can have the arrow properly oriented for the string without looking at it. And, in the instance that a 3 fletched arrow is nocked "inside out," go ahead and shoot it. It's unlikely that the arrow's flight will suffer.

                  6)  What colors do you use?
                  Archers are a colorful lot. I find it necessary to have pretty much every color available on hand; solid, barred, and Gateway's "camo."

                  An additional question is, what fletching shape do you use?
                  An arrow maker could limit their wares to just what is available pre-cut, generally shield or parabolic. Or you can get choppers and cut what you need as necessary. I find 8 different choppers fulfills my needs.

                  Regards,  Guy

                • Cleve Johnson
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 30, 2010
                    I plan to.  I am going to build a crossbow this summer.

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 30, 2010
                      1 35/40
                      2 30"
                      3 Yes, 100 or 125
                      4 self
                      5 3
                      6 Blue shafts, white hens, red cock

                      Logan the Boweyder, Couer d'Ennui, Calontir

                    • bluecat@neo.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 31, 2010
                        > I am taking a poll.
                        >
                        > 1) What spine weight are your arrows?

                        35- 40. I also have some 40 - 45 which I shoot. I find these work well
                        in beating a crosswind. Adjust my aim a bit and away they go.

                        > 2) What length are your arrows?

                        Full. I use 3 bows- one of which is an antique take down 6' longbow. I
                        need the length for that bow- otherwise I could lose an inch of length
                        if I had to, but I am used to aiming at the length they are.

                        > 3) Do you use steel field points? If so, what weigth (ex. 100 gr,
                        125 gr, etc...)?

                        Field points 110, 115 grams. If you can get 115's please do so. I find
                        120 is a little heavy for my shafts- and 110 a little light.

                        > 4) Do you use plastic nocks or self nocks?

                        Plastic. I have used snap nocks- I will be going to speed nocks.

                        > 5) Do you use 3 fletch or 4 fletch?

                        Usually 3- but as I shift to speed nocks I am going to go to 4.

                        > 6) What colors do you use?

                        I have used several. Oddly enough black and red fletch seems to be the
                        easiest to find in grass. Yellow and greens are all but doomed to be
                        lost. White isn't much better. Orange, royal blue, and purple show up
                        kind of. If it's really buried, black or red seems to show up best.

                        Dirk Edward of Frisia
                      • James of the Lake
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 31, 2010
                          1)  What spine weight are your arrows?   35#

                          2)  What length are your arrows?  28"

                          3)  Do you use steel field points?  If so, what weigth (ex. 100 gr, 125 gr, etc...)?  100gr steel field points

                          4)  Do you use plastic nocks or self nocks?   self

                          5)  Do you use 3 fletch or 4 fletch?   3-fletch, shield-shaped

                          6)  What colors do you use?   2 white, 1 red (my livery colors)

                                 James of the Lake, Naevehjem, CAID

                          On May 28, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Cleve Johnson wrote:

                          I am taking a poll.
                          [snip]