Re: Winter Challenge end-of-season

  • James W
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2010
      Greetings Nigel,

      I have a fairly simple description of a period hand bow that allows a fair amount of tolerance in materials used.

      A period bow is a bow where the arrow is intended to be shoot off the archer's hand. An arrow rest may be added using a piece of wood, leather, or cork attached onto the side of the bow but nothing can be cut into the bow.

      This allows self bows, laminated bows, fiberglass bows, fiberglass backed bows and very simple arrow rests which tends to allow for maximum play. It also tends to deal with some of the safety concerns some people might have about going from a modern bow to a more period bow. And it is very easy to interpret and doesn't add a whole lot of complexity to the rules, IMHO.

      In Service,
      James