Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Buying My First Bow

  • George Bottorf
    Message 1 of 21 , May 12, 2010
      It's probably a semi-circular piece that fits in the large diameter groove for "golf tube" size shafts. Including Siloflex? Probably has a small,5/16-3/8" groove for regular wood arrows. If so, I would like to see it, just to see if I am close! If possible, could a web site be posted where one may look at his crossbows? YIS, Abner de Plunkett.
    • LCopland@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , May 12, 2010
        You could also try www.threeriversarchery.com. They have scadians on staff so you can ask them any questions, of course, they say to defer to your own area's marshals.

        Lori
        Message 3 of 21 , May 13, 2010
          Maybe I got this comment out of context...

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maldon

          From the poem... Part I

          "Nor could for the water, the army come at the other,
          For there came flowing, flood after ebb;
          Locked were the ocean-streams, and too long it seemed
          Until they together might carry their spears.
          There by Panta's stream in array they bestood,
          Essex men's rank, and the men from the ships,
          Nor might any one of them injure the other
          Except where from arrow's flight one had his death.
          The flood went out - the pirates stood ready.
          Full many of the Vikings, eager for battle."

          http://www.battleofmaldon.org.uk/

          This seems to show archery being used by Anglo-Saxons and Vikings in 991.

          Logan
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ren_junkie" <ren_junkie@...> wrote:

          > There's nothing showing Saxons using bows at all, only crossbows? Hunting or target even? Wow.

        • Dayrl Merrill
          Message 4 of 21 , May 13, 2010

            pretty much describes it.  I sold the two I had on consignment. When I get more  will post. Or if someone else can please go ahead.
            Message 5 of 21 , May 14, 2010
              Wrong Saxons. Mid-16th century from the Electorate of Saxony. Borders the modern day Czech Republic. It does cause some confusion. And it's REALLY frustrating when looking for men's clothing styles (particularly patterns).

              Yeah, I got a 3 rivers catalog (Thank you to Lord Mungo for that). There's some killer stuff I'd like to get (one day, the Magyar bow will be mine!). But even tho $120 is a great price for the longbow, I'm looking for stuff a bit less than that (tho it's my backup purchase). Since I have to do a crossbow as well (and arrows, and quarrels, and everything else for bow and crossbow), I'm trying to drop every dollar off the price I can. The crossbow I think will be harder to come to a decision on.

              Still looking at stuff. Nearing a decision on bow, tho.

              Thanks!

              Christopher

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder" <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

              > Maybe I got this comment out of context...
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maldon
              >
              > From the poem... Part I
              >
              > "Nor could for the water, the army come at the other,
              > For there came flowing, flood after ebb;
              > Locked were the ocean-streams, and too long it seemed
              > Until they together might carry their spears.
              > There by Panta's stream in array they bestood,
              > Essex men's rank, and the men from the ships,
              > Nor might any one of them injure the other
              > Except where from arrow's flight one had his death.
              > The flood went out - the pirates stood ready.
              > Full many of the Vikings, eager for battle."
              >
              > http://www.battleofmaldon.org.uk/
              >
              > This seems to show archery being used by Anglo-Saxons and Vikings in 991.
              >
              > Logan
              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ren_junkie" <ren_junkie@> wrote:
              > >
              > > There's nothing showing Saxons using bows at all, only crossbows? Hunting or target even? Wow.

            • Carolus
              Message 6 of 21 , May 14, 2010
                Using 7050T651 aluminum for a prod and a good hardwood for the tiller, a
                good crossbow can be made for around $60 and a week's work. Course, it
                takes a fair amount of work and access to a band saw and drill press but
                that is what friends are for. If you were in Caid we could get it done
                here.
                Carolus

                ren_junkie wrote:
                > Wrong Saxons. Mid-16th century from the Electorate of Saxony. Borders the modern day Czech Republic. It does cause some confusion. And it's REALLY frustrating when looking for men's clothing styles (particularly patterns).
                >
                > Yeah, I got a 3 rivers catalog (Thank you to Lord Mungo for that). There's some killer stuff I'd like to get (one day, the Magyar bow will be mine!). But even tho $120 is a great price for the longbow, I'm looking for stuff a bit less than that (tho it's my backup purchase). Since I have to do a crossbow as well (and arrows, and quarrels, and everything else for bow and crossbow), I'm trying to drop every dollar off the price I can. The crossbow I think will be harder to come to a decision on.
                >
                > Still looking at stuff. Nearing a decision on bow, tho.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Christopher

              • i_griffen
                Message 7 of 21 , May 14, 2010
                  Carolus

                  What is the difference between 7075T6 and 7050T651? And where can I find it? Also Saxson crossbows, were can I find more info?

                  Thanks

                  Iain

                  > Using 7050T651 aluminum for a prod and a good hardwood for the tiller, a
                  > good crossbow can be made for around $60 and a week's work. Course, it
                  > takes a fair amount of work and access to a band saw and drill press but
                  > that is what friends are for. If you were in Caid we could get it done
                  > here.
                  > Carolus
                  >
                  > ren_junkie wrote:
                  > > Wrong Saxons. Mid-16th century from the Electorate of Saxony. Borders the modern day Czech Republic. It does cause some confusion. And it's REALLY frustrating when looking for men's clothing styles (particularly patterns).
                  > >
                  > > Yeah, I got a 3 rivers catalog (Thank you to Lord Mungo for that). There's some killer stuff I'd like to get (one day, the Magyar bow will be mine!). But even tho $120 is a great price for the longbow, I'm looking for stuff a bit less than that (tho it's my backup purchase). Since I have to do a crossbow as well (and arrows, and quarrels, and everything else for bow and crossbow), I'm trying to drop every dollar off the price I can. The crossbow I think will be harder to come to a decision on.
                  > >
                  > > Still looking at stuff. Nearing a decision on bow, tho.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > >
                  > > Christopher

                • Carolus
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 14, 2010
                    That should have been 7075T651. T6 is tempered grade 6 and T651 is
                    tempered grade 6 stress relieved. T6 is more brittle and more prone to
                    fatigue failure.
                    Carolus

                    i_griffen wrote:
                    > Carolus
                    >
                    > What is the difference between 7075T6 and 7050T651? And where can I find it? Also Saxson crossbows, were can I find more info?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Iain
                    >
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Using 7050T651 aluminum for a prod and a good hardwood for the tiller, a
                    >> good crossbow can be made for around $60 and a week's work. Course, it
                    >> takes a fair amount of work and access to a band saw and drill press but
                    >> that is what friends are for. If you were in Caid we could get it done
                    >> here.
                    >> Carolus
                    >>
                    >> ren_junkie wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Wrong Saxons. Mid-16th century from the Electorate of Saxony. Borders the modern day Czech Republic. It does cause some confusion. And it's REALLY frustrating when looking for men's clothing styles (particularly patterns).
                    >>>
                    >>> Yeah, I got a 3 rivers catalog (Thank you to Lord Mungo for that). There's some killer stuff I'd like to get (one day, the Magyar bow will be mine!). But even tho $120 is a great price for the longbow, I'm looking for stuff a bit less than that (tho it's my backup purchase). Since I have to do a crossbow as well (and arrows, and quarrels, and everything else for bow and crossbow), I'm trying to drop every dollar off the price I can. The crossbow I think will be harder to come to a decision on.
                    >>>
                    >>> Still looking at stuff. Nearing a decision on bow, tho.
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks!
                    >>>
                    >>> Christopher

                  • Randal of Camusfearna
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 17, 2010

                      Logan,

                      I don't think you are getting it out of context.  I found the following a bit further on...

                      "Now was riot raised, the ravens wheeled,
                      The eagle, eager for carrion, there was a cry on earth.
                      Then loosed they from their hands the file-hard lance,
                      The sharp-ground spears to fly.
                      Bows were busied - buckler met point
                      Bitter was the battle-rush, warriors fell
                      On either hand, the young men lay!"

                      However, I cannot determine from either segment whether the bows were used by the Anglo-Saxons, or the Vikings, or both.

                      -Randal

                      Posted by: "logantheboweyder" logantheboweyder@...   logantheboweyder

                      Thu May 13, 2010 10:18 am (PDT)

                      Maybe I got this comment out of context...

                      <SNIP>

                    • Carolus
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 17, 2010
                        In either case these were the Saxons in the British and not in Saxony
                        proper.
                        Carolus

                        Randal of Camusfearna wrote:

                        > Logan,
                        >
                        > I don't think you are getting it out of context. I found the
                        > following a bit further on...
                        >

                        > "Now was riot raised, the ravens wheeled,
                        > The eagle, eager for carrion, there was a cry on earth.
                        > Then loosed they from their hands the file-hard lance,
                        > The sharp-ground spears to fly.
                        > Bows were busied - buckler met point
                        > Bitter was the battle-rush, warriors fell
                        > On either hand, the young men lay!"
                        >

                        > However, I cannot determine from either segment whether the
                        > bows were used by the Anglo-Saxons, or the Vikings, or both.
                        >

                        > -Randal

                        > Posted by: "logantheboweyder" logantheboweyder@...
                        > <mailto:logantheboweyder@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Buying%20My%20First%20Bow>
                        > logantheboweyder <http://profiles.yahoo.com/logantheboweyder>
                        >

                        > Thu May 13, 2010 10:18 am (PDT)
                        >
                        > Maybe I got this comment out of context...
                        >
                        > <SNIP>

                      • logantheboweyder
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 18, 2010
                          Hmmm...

                          http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/carol-sum1.html

                          Charlemagne calls for the army, to meet in Saxony, and lists among what they should bring, a bow and quiver with arrows.