Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: A little playful archery thing I came up with

  • Shellie
    Message 1 of 22 , May 10, 2010
      Cool. I would have to get some new ink to do any printing. Been out for about a couple months now. That is a really good idea though. I might make some Doctor Who ones like putting some cybermen and Daleks in them. and some more of the Doctor's enemies. :-)

      Shellie
      Gwyntarian
      Mogadore, Ohio
      Message 2 of 22 , May 10, 2010
        Politics does have a useful purpose. ;-)

        Jon
        On May 10, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Randal of Camusfearna wrote:

        > And what, you may ask, do I mount the graphics to after I tape them
        > together? As the election season approaches, look around you as you
        > drive from place to place. See those 4 foot x 8 foot political
        > advertisement signs stuck in vacant lots? Corrugated plastic! Most
        > candidates have no use for them after the election, and that
        > material is not cheap if you go to buy it (available at high volume
        > sign companies). Three sheets of that back to back will stop arrows
        > from most bows. I made some novelty targets (life size figures from
        > the Bayoux Tapestry), painted them with latex enamel paints and
        > I've used them at two events, with just a little touch up.
        >
        > Randal
      • George Bottorf
        Message 3 of 22 , May 11, 2010
          Greetings. Be advised that most archery ranges may have a no human figure target rule. Of course it may be different according to the range, but I would not bet against it. If you're on private property, then have fun. Otherwise, be sure to ask first. YIS, Abner.
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 22 , May 11, 2010

            4-H shooting has NO human targets, NO tombstone targets, and no Paintball.

            James Pratt

             4-H Archery/Rifle and Hunting Instructor.

            Greetings. Be advised that most archery ranges may have a no human figure target rule. Of course it may be different according to the range, but I would not bet against it. If you're on private property, then have fun. Otherwise, be sure to ask first. YIS, Abner.

          • Harry Billings
            Message 5 of 22 , May 11, 2010
              also bow and arrows are sporting equipment not weapons.

              plachoya
              Ansteorra

              4-H shooting has NO human targets, NO tombstone targets, and no Paintball.

              James Pratt

               4-H Archery/Rifle and Hunting Instructor.

            • Terrance Timmons
              Message 6 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                in some areas they are considered weapons, and they are.  they are used in a sport same as rifles and shotguns and need to be given similar respect.  some people hear sporting equipement and think of foot balls, soccer balls, nothing real dangerous, but our sport CAN BE.  Not sniping just pointing out that we should approach them as weapons, respectfully, not fearfully, and definitally not ignorantly.

                Ive seen too much "stupidy/ignorance" cause harm even with "just" a bow and arrow.

                sorry, getting off soap box now

                Terrance
                Atenveldt

                Message 7 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                  They deffinately are weapons. I didn't know where the gun was back when I was in junior high so when no one was home I kept the bow and some arrows (hunting style) at hand so that I would be ready to shoot. I lived in a bad area that is why I still to this day sleep armed. Though not with anything that can fire but with my daggers and a short sword readily available.

                  Shellie
                  Gwyntarian
                  Mogadore, Ohio

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                      Some municipalities consider them weapons for carrying purposes.  a gental in Canada couldnt take a takedown recurve, disassembled on the bus or train, and couldnt keep it at work, actually got in trouble because she had it once.  if i remember right, they took the string so it would be rendered "safe"

                      some places dont allow even shooting them in town limits, others do.  but yes they are DEFINITELY weapons, the only "LIVE" weapon used in this game we play

                      Terrance
                      Atenveldt

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                        I know a lot of groups try to classify them as such, but to me it is a way to marginalize them, or make them more acceptable to those who feel weapons are "bad" things, when people are bad, not weapons.  again this is one of my pet pieves.  its like encouraging a 10 yr old to play some of the games rated MA that make it seem "fine" to steal, kill etc, when a 10 yr old doesnt have a fully developed sense of self yet.  Personal opinion, on this, others disagree.  Im a big gamer, but seeing how some kids act after playing these games for years, it scares me for the future.  No not all, but enough.

                        Terrance
                        Atenveldt

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                          I beg to differ as ALL thrown weapons are "LIVE" also.

                          Edward
                          AEthelmearc

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                            my bad, thrown are not used Society wide that I know of, and since a society list. remember what they say about ASSumptions, lol.  yes they are live, the few ive seen anyway, not a huge group for it in Northern Atenveldt, at least.  at least not Yet.

                            Terrance
                            Atenveldt

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                              greetings

                               depends on which jurisdiction your in.
                              in some , shooting an arrow from a bow in city limits will get you a discharging a deadly weapon in city limits ticket.
                              ( or jail )
                              and some parks consider them deadly weapons as well.

                              and besides " everything " "can be" a weapon .
                              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                              Arthur

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                                greetings

                                " almost " the only live weapon.
                                we also play with real axes, knives, and spears, that can do real, permanant damage, if not handled responsibly and respectfully.
                                Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                                Arthur

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                                  Tell me about it Bryan says it is ok to shoot a bow in your back yard as long as the neighbors don't care. College Station on the other hand says you have to have 5 contiguous acres or you are breaking the law. For though that don't know they share a city limit.

                                  plachoya
                                  Ansteorra

                                • padraig@cablespeed.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 11, 2010

                                    Not in my neck of the woods. Michigan does not seem to get real uptight about it when we are dealing with reenactors.

                                    Padraig MacRaighne

                                    On Tue May 11 8:28 , George Bottorf sent:

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 12, 2010
                                        ok what is happening with formating on some of these emails, very hard to read.  i was 3 lines into this when I realized i was reading my own post, only the first line was new.

                                        Terrance

                                        ps not just James, but others are showing this way, another Yahell issue????