A show about the inspiration for way too many of us. :)

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2010
      I just saw in TV an advertisement on Discovery Channel about a show about Robin
      Hood.

      On Thursday evening, at 8 and 11 PM, there is a show called "The Legends of
      Robin Hood with Olly Steeds".

      Here is the blurb:

      "Journalist Olly Steeds heads to Sherwood Forest to test the legends of Robin
      Hood by living them himself to show what it really meant to live as an outlaw in
      medieval England."

      Mark S.
      (Antonio Tagliaferro)
    • Shellie
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10, 2010
        That is one that we will deffinately have to watch. We were just watching Robin of Sherwood today. I have forgotten most of the episodes. Just love them :-)

        Shellie
        Gwyntarian
        Mogadore, Ohio

        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2010
          There is also this one on Hidtory channel tonight:

          The Real Robin Hood
          Tuesday, May 11th at 8/7c

          "The folk hero known as Robin Hood is one of history's best-known figures, and his legend has inspired movies, television shows, and countless stories. But the image of Robin Hood in tights and a feathered cap is somewhat recent-- in reality, this character is a composite of several historical figures whose exploits date back to the era of the Crusades. In the upcoming Universal Pictures film Robin Hood, director Ridley Scott brings a fresh interpretation of the Robin Hood myth to the big screen, using recent historical research to accurately shape this new take on the age-old hero.

          Coinciding with the film release, HISTORY has developed a 2-hour special to provide additional historical context on the Robin Hood myth, revealing the creation of the legend and the new insights historians have into the truth behind this powerful story. This special presentation includes clips from Ridley Scott's new film, interviews with actors, and commentary from leading historians. The Real Robin Hood provides an excellent way for students to discuss the relationship between historical fact and Hollywood fiction."

          -Rebecca

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <sebree@...> wrote:

          > I just saw in TV an advertisement on Discovery Channel about a show about Robin
          > Hood.
          >
          > On Thursday evening, at 8 and 11 PM, there is a show called "The Legends of
          > Robin Hood with Olly Steeds".
          >
          > Here is the blurb:
          >
          > "Journalist Olly Steeds heads to Sherwood Forest to test the legends of Robin
          > Hood by living them himself to show what it really meant to live as an outlaw in
          > medieval England."
          >
          > Mark S.
          > (Antonio Tagliaferro)

        • James W
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2010
            One thing I hate about the new movie is that it continues with the Victorian age concept of putting Robin Hood in 12th Century with King Richard and Prince John. The earliest poems refer to Comely King Edward. I think setting a Robin Hood story during the reign of Edward III would be far more interesting. It could set against the backdrop of either the Scottish battles or the 100 Year War.

            In Service,
            James
          • Shellie
            Message 5 of 9 , May 11, 2010
              That would be a much better setting for sure. It would give a different feel to it as well.

              Shellie
              Gwyntarian
              Mogadore, Ohio
              One thing I hate about the new movie is that it continues with the Victorian age concept of putting Robin Hood in 12th Century with King Richard and Prince John. The earliest poems refer to Comely King Edward. I think setting a Robin Hood story during the reign of Edward III would be far more interesting. It could set against the backdrop of either the Scottish battles or the 100 Year War.

              In Service,
              James

            • Eibhlin
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2010
                "...the relationship between historical fact and Hollywood fiction." So true, so true! From what I saw last night on this Robin Hood special, that might just be a close relationship in this movie!
                Eibhlin

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "BeckiG" <bgraham_gs@...> wrote:

                > There is also this one on Hidtory channel tonight:
                >

                > The Real Robin Hood
                > Tuesday, May 11th at 8/7c
                >
                > "The folk hero known as Robin Hood is one of history's best-known figures, and his legend has inspired movies, television shows, and countless stories. But the image of Robin Hood in tights and a feathered cap is somewhat recent-- in reality, this character is a composite of several historical figures whose exploits date back to the era of the Crusades. In the upcoming Universal Pictures film Robin Hood, director Ridley Scott brings a fresh interpretation of the Robin Hood myth to the big screen, using recent historical research to accurately shape this new take on the age-old hero.
                >
                > Coinciding with the film release, HISTORY has developed a 2-hour special to provide additional historical context on the Robin Hood myth, revealing the creation of the legend and the new insights historians have into the truth behind this powerful story. This special presentation includes clips from Ridley Scott's new film, interviews with actors, and commentary from leading historians. The Real Robin Hood provides an excellent way for students to discuss the relationship between historical fact and Hollywood fiction."
                >
                > -Rebecca
                >

                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <sebree@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just saw in TV an advertisement on Discovery Channel about a show about Robin
                > > Hood.
                > >
                > > On Thursday evening, at 8 and 11 PM, there is a show called "The Legends of
                > > Robin Hood with Olly Steeds".
                > >
                > > Here is the blurb:
                > >
                > > "Journalist Olly Steeds heads to Sherwood Forest to test the legends of Robin
                > > Hood by living them himself to show what it really meant to live as an outlaw in
                > > medieval England."
                > >
                > > Mark S.
                > > (Antonio Tagliaferro)

              • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12, 2010
                  There was a great piece on the History channel last night (Tue) which gave
                  the documentation sources for the history of the myth and the possibilities
                  of the actual historical people who may have been the people around whom the
                  legend started. It was a well presented piece with references to actual
                  documents of the time period.

                  The only frustrating thing is the failure of the West to admit that the
                  legend of Robin Hood is an Anglisized version of a much older tale from the
                  Arabic countries which pre-dates the English Robin Hood by several
                  centuries. The tale obviously was encountered during the Crusades and
                  brought back to England with the returning Crusaders. The main characters
                  were reworked as English characters but the similarities to the original
                  Arabic tale are impossible to ignore. I would need to track down the Arabic
                  bard, Changir (sp?), for the direct reference piece from the Arabic tales.

                  I didn't know that Robin Hood was left handed.... <G>

                  I'll miss the opening of the movie Friday due to our hosting the Grandaddy
                  of Archery events this weekend in North Central Pennsylvania. We've got a
                  *big* Scout camp where we hold Wills' Revenge. This gives us scads of room
                  for several roving ranges as well as the best Royal Round range you may ever
                  come across. We've had more personal best scores shot on this range due to
                  the interesting layout which apparently assists the Archer to focus on the
                  targets.
                  Thrown weapons will be on hand as well as the Atlatl. Æthelmearc Archery
                  Champion will also be shot this day. Our final shoot of the day is a (first
                  round) volley fire clout into a floating target on the lake. Cabin space is
                  *included* in the site fee. If you wish to spend the weekend with some of
                  the best and nicest this Society has to offer...

                  http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~acg/Events/WillsRevenge2010.html

                  Hope to see many of you Goode Gentles here.

                  Brad

                  :)

                  I just saw in TV an advertisement on Discovery Channel about a show about
                  Robin
                  Hood.

                  On Thursday evening, at 8 and 11 PM, there is a show called "The Legends of
                  Robin Hood with Olly Steeds".

                  Here is the blurb:

                  "Journalist Olly Steeds heads to Sherwood Forest to test the legends of
                  Robin
                  Hood by living them himself to show what it really meant to live as an
                  outlaw in
                  medieval England."

                  Mark S.
                  (Antonio Tagliaferro)
                • bryn_archer
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 12, 2010
                    Yeah, but if they wanted to follow the earlier story, with King Edward, they couldn't use Marian or Friar Tuck, which is half the known story.

                    Bryn
                  • bradb@micro-link.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 12, 2010
                      Yup. Apparently Marion and Tuck were later additions who weren't included
                      in the original versions of the tale.

                      Brad