A little playful archery thing I came up with

  • Shellie
    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2010
    For those that like Sci/Fi and Archery. This is my first ever attempt at using photoshop.

    Shellie
  • The Greys
    Message 2 of 22 , May 9, 2010
      Well done, but what's the target? Or do they, the people, get equal points?

      As a note of reference to the group when making targets. If you use clip art or pictures you can put then into Excel then size them up to whatever size you need. When you print them out Excel very nicely overlaps a row/column or two on the next page. For graphics that ends up being about a 1/2 inch overlap. Thus all you have to do is cut off the white margins then line up the graphic and tape it together. I have made targets as large a full size Moose using this techique.

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Shellie" <mbuter30@...> wrote:

      > For those that like Sci/Fi and Archery. This is my first ever attempt at using photoshop.
      >
      > Shellie

    • Shellie
      Message 3 of 22 , May 9, 2010
        It was just a fun thing I did to see if I could do photo shop I love Doctor Who and Robin of Sherwood from the 80's. I thought it would be funny to put Robin in place of David Tennant as some good humour. You could make it a target though making rose higher points because she is smaller and a little harder to see and Robin lower points then the Tardis. I never thought about it as a target.

        It would be intersting to see what would come of this though.

        Shellie
        Gwyntarian
        Mogadore, Ohio
        Well done, but what's the target? Or do they, the people, get equal points?

        As a note of reference to the group when making targets. If you use clip art or pictures you can put then into Excel then size them up to whatever size you need. When you print them out Excel very nicely overlaps a row/column or two on the next page. For graphics that ends up being about a 1/2 inch overlap. Thus all you have to do is cut off the white margins then line up the graphic and tape it together. I have made targets as large a full size Moose using this techique.

        cog

        --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Shellie" <mbuter30@.. .> wrote:

        > For those that like Sci/Fi and Archery. This is my first ever attempt at using photoshop.
        >
        > Shellie

      • Randal of Camusfearna
        Message 4 of 22 , May 10, 2010
          And what, you may ask, do I mount the graphics to after I tape them together? As the election season approaches, look around you as you drive from place to place. See those 4 foot x 8 foot political advertisement signs stuck in vacant lots? Corrugated plastic! Most candidates have no use for them after the election, and that material is not cheap if you go to buy it (available at high volume sign companies). Three sheets of that back to back will stop arrows from most bows. I made some novelty targets (life size figures from the Bayoux Tapestry), painted them with latex enamel paints and I've used them at two events, with just a little touch up.

          Randal

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:

          > Well done, but what's the target? Or do they, the people, get equal points?
          >
          > As a note of reference to the group when making targets. If you use clip art or pictures you can put then into Excel then size them up to whatever size you need. When you print them out Excel very nicely overlaps a row/column or two on the next page. For graphics that ends up being about a 1/2 inch overlap. Thus all you have to do is cut off the white margins then line up the graphic and tape it together. I have made targets as large a full size Moose using this techique.
          >
          > cog
          >
          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Shellie" <mbuter30@> wrote:
          > >
          > > For those that like Sci/Fi and Archery. This is my first ever attempt at using photoshop.
          > >
          > > Shellie

        • Shellie
          Message 5 of 22 , May 10, 2010
            Cool. I would have to get some new ink to do any printing. Been out for about a couple months now. That is a really good idea though. I might make some Doctor Who ones like putting some cybermen and Daleks in them. and some more of the Doctor's enemies. :-)

            Shellie
            Gwyntarian
            Mogadore, Ohio
            And what, you may ask, do I mount the graphics to after I tape them together? As the election season approaches, look around you as you drive from place to place. See those 4 foot x 8 foot political advertisement signs stuck in vacant lots? Corrugated plastic! Most candidates have no use for them after the election, and that material is not cheap if you go to buy it (available at high volume sign companies). Three sheets of that back to back will stop arrows from most bows. I made some novelty targets (life size figures from the Bayoux Tapestry), painted them with latex enamel paints and I've used them at two events, with just a little touch up.

            Randal

            --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "The Greys" <cogworks@.. .> wrote:

            > Well done, but what's the target? Or do they, the people, get equal points?
            >
            > As a note of reference to the group when making targets. If you use clip art or pictures you can put then into Excel then size them up to whatever size you need. When you print them out Excel very nicely overlaps a row/column or two on the next page. For graphics that ends up being about a 1/2 inch overlap. Thus all you have to do is cut off the white margins then line up the graphic and tape it together. I have made targets as large a full size Moose using this techique.
            >
            > cog
            >
            > --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Shellie" <mbuter30@> wrote:
            > >
            > > For those that like Sci/Fi and Archery. This is my first ever attempt at using photoshop.
            > >
            > > Shellie

          • John edgerton
            Message 6 of 22 , May 10, 2010
              Politics does have a useful purpose. ;-)

              Jon
              On May 10, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Randal of Camusfearna wrote:

              > And what, you may ask, do I mount the graphics to after I tape them
              > together? As the election season approaches, look around you as you
              > drive from place to place. See those 4 foot x 8 foot political
              > advertisement signs stuck in vacant lots? Corrugated plastic! Most
              > candidates have no use for them after the election, and that
              > material is not cheap if you go to buy it (available at high volume
              > sign companies). Three sheets of that back to back will stop arrows
              > from most bows. I made some novelty targets (life size figures from
              > the Bayoux Tapestry), painted them with latex enamel paints and
              > I've used them at two events, with just a little touch up.
              >
              > Randal
            • George Bottorf
              Message 7 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                Greetings. Be advised that most archery ranges may have a no human figure target rule. Of course it may be different according to the range, but I would not bet against it. If you're on private property, then have fun. Otherwise, be sure to ask first. YIS, Abner.
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 8 of 22 , May 11, 2010

                  4-H shooting has NO human targets, NO tombstone targets, and no Paintball.

                  James Pratt

                   4-H Archery/Rifle and Hunting Instructor.

                  Greetings. Be advised that most archery ranges may have a no human figure target rule. Of course it may be different according to the range, but I would not bet against it. If you're on private property, then have fun. Otherwise, be sure to ask first. YIS, Abner.

                • Harry Billings
                  Message 9 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                    also bow and arrows are sporting equipment not weapons.

                    plachoya
                    Ansteorra

                    4-H shooting has NO human targets, NO tombstone targets, and no Paintball.

                    James Pratt

                     4-H Archery/Rifle and Hunting Instructor.

                  • Terrance Timmons
                    Message 10 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                      in some areas they are considered weapons, and they are.  they are used in a sport same as rifles and shotguns and need to be given similar respect.  some people hear sporting equipement and think of foot balls, soccer balls, nothing real dangerous, but our sport CAN BE.  Not sniping just pointing out that we should approach them as weapons, respectfully, not fearfully, and definitally not ignorantly.

                      Ive seen too much "stupidy/ignorance" cause harm even with "just" a bow and arrow.

                      sorry, getting off soap box now

                      Terrance
                      Atenveldt

                      Message 11 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                        They deffinately are weapons. I didn't know where the gun was back when I was in junior high so when no one was home I kept the bow and some arrows (hunting style) at hand so that I would be ready to shoot. I lived in a bad area that is why I still to this day sleep armed. Though not with anything that can fire but with my daggers and a short sword readily available.

                        Shellie
                        Gwyntarian
                        Mogadore, Ohio

                          Message 13 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                            Some municipalities consider them weapons for carrying purposes.  a gental in Canada couldnt take a takedown recurve, disassembled on the bus or train, and couldnt keep it at work, actually got in trouble because she had it once.  if i remember right, they took the string so it would be rendered "safe"

                            some places dont allow even shooting them in town limits, others do.  but yes they are DEFINITELY weapons, the only "LIVE" weapon used in this game we play

                            Terrance
                            Atenveldt

                            Message 14 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                              I know a lot of groups try to classify them as such, but to me it is a way to marginalize them, or make them more acceptable to those who feel weapons are "bad" things, when people are bad, not weapons.  again this is one of my pet pieves.  its like encouraging a 10 yr old to play some of the games rated MA that make it seem "fine" to steal, kill etc, when a 10 yr old doesnt have a fully developed sense of self yet.  Personal opinion, on this, others disagree.  Im a big gamer, but seeing how some kids act after playing these games for years, it scares me for the future.  No not all, but enough.

                              Terrance
                              Atenveldt

                              Message 15 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                                I beg to differ as ALL thrown weapons are "LIVE" also.

                                Edward
                                AEthelmearc

                                Message 16 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                                  my bad, thrown are not used Society wide that I know of, and since a society list. remember what they say about ASSumptions, lol.  yes they are live, the few ive seen anyway, not a huge group for it in Northern Atenveldt, at least.  at least not Yet.

                                  Terrance
                                  Atenveldt

                                  Message 17 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                                    greetings

                                     depends on which jurisdiction your in.
                                    in some , shooting an arrow from a bow in city limits will get you a discharging a deadly weapon in city limits ticket.
                                    ( or jail )
                                    and some parks consider them deadly weapons as well.

                                    and besides " everything " "can be" a weapon .
                                    Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                                    Arthur

                                    Message 18 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                                      greetings

                                      " almost " the only live weapon.
                                      we also play with real axes, knives, and spears, that can do real, permanant damage, if not handled responsibly and respectfully.
                                      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                                      Arthur

                                      Message 19 of 22 , May 11, 2010
                                        Tell me about it Bryan says it is ok to shoot a bow in your back yard as long as the neighbors don't care. College Station on the other hand says you have to have 5 contiguous acres or you are breaking the law. For though that don't know they share a city limit.

                                        plachoya
                                        Ansteorra

                                      • padraig@cablespeed.com
                                        Message 20 of 22 , May 11, 2010

                                          Not in my neck of the woods. Michigan does not seem to get real uptight about it when we are dealing with reenactors.

                                          Padraig MacRaighne

                                          On Tue May 11 8:28 , George Bottorf sent:

                                            Message 22 of 22 , May 12, 2010
                                              ok what is happening with formating on some of these emails, very hard to read.  i was 3 lines into this when I realized i was reading my own post, only the first line was new.

                                              Terrance

                                              ps not just James, but others are showing this way, another Yahell issue????