Re: [SCA-Archery] Quivers and historical sources?

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2010
      There are no period manuals of military archery, the best we've got is
      Toxophilus by Ascham. I believe that was already mentioned. As for
      quivers, much depends on culture and time. Name a material and you can
      probably find a period quiver made of it. The reason behind the
      historical designs is simple - style and fashion. If you are looking
      for military quivers you probably won't find much if any. Arrows were
      handled much like ammunition in modern times - transported in boxes (or
      bags) and issued in the field. Searching the internet will give you
      more information than you can easily absorb. Good luck.
      Carolus

      pigeonmail.postmaster wrote:
      > Does anyone one have any sources about what quivers where made from (leather, woven like a basket etc) and the shape plus dimensions, and the reason behind the historical design? Also does anyone know of any existing manuals on the how and why of historical military archery? All I can find is info on Olympic target archery. And I am sure that doesn't resemble historical archery very much.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ben

    • aharndts67
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2010
        a medieval military quiver  is not anything more than a cloth sack.

        Now the Huns and Mongols had very ornate quivers that wouldn't be to far fetched to have one from travels and trade.