Quivers and historical sources?

  • pigeonmail.postmaster
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2010
      Does anyone one have any sources about what quivers where made from (leather, woven like a basket etc) and the shape plus dimensions, and the reason behind the historical design? Also does anyone know of any existing manuals on the how and why of historical military archery? All I can find is info on Olympic target archery. And I am sure that doesn't resemble historical archery very much.

      Thanks,

      Ben
    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2010
        There are no period manuals of military archery, the best we've got is
        Toxophilus by Ascham. I believe that was already mentioned. As for
        quivers, much depends on culture and time. Name a material and you can
        probably find a period quiver made of it. The reason behind the
        historical designs is simple - style and fashion. If you are looking
        for military quivers you probably won't find much if any. Arrows were
        handled much like ammunition in modern times - transported in boxes (or
        bags) and issued in the field. Searching the internet will give you
        more information than you can easily absorb. Good luck.
        Carolus

        pigeonmail.postmaster wrote:
        > Does anyone one have any sources about what quivers where made from (leather, woven like a basket etc) and the shape plus dimensions, and the reason behind the historical design? Also does anyone know of any existing manuals on the how and why of historical military archery? All I can find is info on Olympic target archery. And I am sure that doesn't resemble historical archery very much.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ben

      • aharndts67
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2010
          a medieval military quiver  is not anything more than a cloth sack.

          Now the Huns and Mongols had very ornate quivers that wouldn't be to far fetched to have one from travels and trade.