Quiver...

  • pigeonmail.postmaster
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2010
      Is there period patters for quivers around? (or other information one could be designed from?

      Thanks,

      Ben
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2010
        For good period illustrations of archers and their gear, including quivers,  go to the links section of this group.  See "Medieval Archers" and "The Illuminated Archer".

        The style of quivers, when used, varied from place to place and time to time during the medieval period.

        Jon
        On Apr 27, 2010, at 9:49 AM, pigeonmail.postmaster wrote:

        Is there period patters for quivers around? (or other information one could be designed from?

        Thanks,

        Ben

      • ghmargaret
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2010
          Hi;

          From a class on quivers in art I teach here is the bibliography:

          Ascham, Roger. Toxophilus.

          Baker, Philippa. Turk: A Journey of a Thousand Years, 600-1600. 2005. Graphicom Pub. Italy. Harry N. Abrams, Inc. NY. ISBN 1-903-97356-2.

          Hardy, Robert. Longbow: A Social and Military History. 1992. Bois d'Arc Press. ISBN 1-85260-412-3.

          Porter, Pamela. Medieval Warfare in Manuscripts. 2000. University of Toronto Press, Toronto. ISBN 0-8020-8400-1.

          Soar, Hugh D. H. The Crooked Stick: A History of the Longbow.2004. Westholme Pub.Pennsylvania. ISBN 1-59416-002-3

          Strickland, Matthew and Hardy, Robert. The Great Warbow: From Hastings to the Mary Rose. 2005. Sutton Pub. Ltd. England. ISBN 0-7509-3167-1.

          Wilson, David M. The Bayeaux Tapestry. 1985. Thames and Hudson Inc. New York, NY. ISBN 0-500-25122-3.

          Bibliotheque Nationale de France website. www.mandragore.bnf.fr/jsp/rechercheExperte.jsp

          www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/c/carpacci/1ursula/2/index.html

          http:www.cgfa.sunsite.dk/p/p-playing1.htm

          I really recommend The Great Warbow by Hardy, as has already been mentioned. You get a lot of info there.

          Mary Rose website, they even have an archive of items you can research.

          The Bibliotheque Nationale de France website is great. You can search in the Mandragore area (recherche) of illuminated manuscripts for quiver (carquois en francaise). You can get images done from the 9th century on, with a description of where the image is done from (for example a manuscript done in Paris, France which might depict French, Genoese, or Turkish archers).

          In short - scabbard style, bag shape, tube, elaborate curvy edges. Material - fabric, leather, possibly wood.
          Worn on shoulder(s) and hips.
          Open at one end or at both.

          In service,
          Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire
          by any chance are you going to be in Lions Gate, Antir May 28-30?

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "pigeonmail.postmaster" <pigeonmail.postmaster@...> wrote:

          > Is there period patters for quivers around? (or other information one could be designed from?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ben

        • John