Re: New to Archery

  • BeckiG
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
      Thank you for this reply. I am like Elena, and wanting to get back into archery after many years away.

      Your suggestions made a lot of sense. I originally was thinking of finding a longbow for myself and also my 19 yo who has never really participated in archery.

      I think I will look for a couple cheap recurves first and go from there.

      Thanks so much for being willing to share!
      -Rebecca
      Canton of Hauksgarðr
      Kingdom of AnTir

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ben Reeder <unclestrongbow@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > 2)  If it's been a while since you shot last, you don't want to start with a heavy bow.  Thirty pounds was what worked well in my experience when I stepped back on to the range after fifteen years.  You might want to go a few pounds in either direction, depending on your own strength.  A bow that is too heavy will severely limit how long you can shoot enjoyably and develop your form again.  And if it's not fun, it's not something you do for very long.
      >
      > 3) Recurve limbs tend to stack the weight less quickly as you pull the string back, so that you're not pulling the whole draw weight back from inch one.  Longbows don't do that so much.  This kind of feeds into the second point, in that it makes your draw easier at first, and makes your visits to the range more enjoyable for longer when you're first starting up again after a while.
      >
      > Make your re-introduction to archery enjoyable, and worry about things like bow type or construction and other details once you've spent some time getting to know your personal style and practicing.  Some sporting goods stores have decent fiberglass bows you can start with, and I've seen some good things out of Three Rivers Archery in the past.  Truth be told, my two favorite bows were bought from fellow archers, though.
      >
      > When I first got back into shooting, I went all out.  I bought a beautiful $300, 50 pound draw Mongolian recurve bow and spent $45 on half a dozen arrows, thinking "I know what I'm doing.  I was a good archer back in the day.  It's like riding a bike.  You never forget."  My thirty seven year old arms, however, HAD forgotten what it was like to be twenty three years old.  My shots were ALL over the place, and I could barely send 50 arrows down range before my arms were like jelly.  The VERY period bow was unforgiving of the slightest mistake, and I started wondering if I had just imagined how much fun I'd had before.  Finally, I bought a 35# takedown recurve for $35, went to an arrow making workshop and made a batch of decent arrows.  Then, it was more fun, and my friend Roanen and I would go and spend all afternoon shooting at least a hundred arrows, and a couple of times, two hundred (boy, were we tired then).  Hence, my recommendation
      > that you find an inexpensive, light weight recurve to start with.
      >
      > Love being a period archer first.  Then worry about getting that period bow and those historically accurate period arrows.  Everything important happens on the archer's side of the line, not down range.  In my not so humble opinion, the period archer isn't the guy with the most accurate gear.  It's the person who knows the hows and whys, the person who knows before the arrow flies that it's going to hit, because their heart is on that string.  It's the person who uses that period bow out of love for the bow itself, not the desire to impress with how authentic he or she is.

    • avri kallas
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
        Thanks so much for the info now I cant wait to get started in finding my first bow...I appriciate the help

        Elena

        Avrilyn Czinczky
        Passion Parties® Independent Consultant
        Like a little – shop online
        Like a lot – host a party
        Love it all – become a consultant!

        Phone 715-212-0897
        Email: passionsbyavri@...
        Shop online at http://avri.yourpassionconsultant.com

      • avri kallas
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
          Thanks so much! I will indeed track him down some how...Its so different here then in my other kingdom...Within Northshield you can go on the Kingdoms website and find the contact info for any that signed up and reside in that kingdom. I am not sure if An Tir has something similar.

          Elena

          Avrilyn Czinczky
          Passion Parties® Independent Consultant
          Like a little – shop online
          Like a lot – host a party
          Love it all – become a consultant!

          Phone 715-212-0897
          Email: passionsbyavri@...
          Shop online at http://avri.yourpassionconsultant.com

        • John
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
            Well they have a archery list.  http://www.antir.sca.org/Lists/?show=17
            You could also try On Target online.  http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/framesets/home_frameset.html
            royal-archer [at] antir.sca.org  Will get you HL Deicyn Moel, who is listed at the current Royal Archer.

            All this was taken from the An Tir SCA website.  Under officers, then Marshal.
            Shoot well

            Iaen
            Ansteorra

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
              Thank you so much

              Elena

              Avrilyn Czinczky
              Passion Parties® Independent Consultant
              Like a little – shop online
              Like a lot – host a party
              Love it all – become a consultant!

              Phone 715-212-0897
              Email: passionsbyavri@...
              Shop online at http://avri.yourpassionconsultant.com

            • ronan mackee
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010

                Hello Elena

                 Here is the web sight for An Tir,  you can find everything you need as in events, to pdf files to print out forms for what you want to do.

                http://www.antir.sca.org/

                This the archery site that I use, I can find out who is doing what ,when and where.

                http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/framesets/home_frameset.html

                Ronan Mackay
                Yeoman of waste keep
                chief archer to vulkanfield
                red bracer to Danial to moncrieffe
                all around nice guy

              • ronan mackee
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
                  opps 2 seconds to late  lol It's the same info

                  Ronan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
                    Thanks so much for the info...You all have been most helpful...

                    Elena

                    Avrilyn Czinczky
                    Passion Parties® Independent Consultant
                    Like a little – shop online
                    Like a lot – host a party
                    Love it all – become a consultant!

                    Phone 715-212-0897
                    Email: passionsbyavri@...
                    Shop online at http://avri.yourpassionconsultant.com

                  • Sebhdann
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
                      Elena,

                      The Shire of Wyewood has a weekly archery practice on Saturday in Renton, across the street from Ikea.  I realize that is a good distance from Poulsbo, but we welcome all comers of all skill levels and we have loaner equipment.

                      For more details on our practice, go to:  http://www.wyewood.org/wye_events-info.html#Archery_Practice
                      --
                      Slán!

                      Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
                      Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
                      Clannet, Clan Carn

                      *mka Sue V.*

                      Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
                      We'll win the war and pay the toll,
                      We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
                      --'The March of Cambreadth'--Heather Alexander

                      On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM, avri kallas <lil420pixie@...> wrote:

                      Thanks so much for the info...You all have been most helpful...

                      Elena

                      Avrilyn Czinczky
                      Passion Parties® Independent Consultant
                      Like a little – shop online