Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery at events

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
      > on #5 you forgot that local marshals can turn in scores to the ikcac ,
      > which lets you practice those chest and face shots ; )
      > so 1 practice a month could be set up as an ikcac practice for all the
      > active and future combat archers in the area ; )

      As a note: different kingdoms have different takes on this. Some
      require a CA marshal to be present to run an IKCAC, since equipment
      needs to be inspected to be legal by CA standards, and TA Marshals don't
      know those.

      Siegfried

    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
        UUUHHHhhhhhhhmmmmm.....

        "Official event or activity.........." I know in Æthelmearc any scores count
        only if the score is shot at a range which has been run at a *published* SCA
        activity which means any SCA advertised activity. This could be Kingdom
        level all the way down to local 'shire' practice in someones' back yard.
        What brings the activity under SCA insurance is the *announcement* published
        in Kingdom newsletter or local newsletter. Once the event is published and
        covered by the insurance, *then* the scores are valid and are able to be
        registered.

        The event or activity is considered 'official' when it is covered with an
        announcement in a *SCA publication* and the scores cannot be recorded
        without that *official* publication.

        Your milage may vary but I'm fairly certain that this policy is Society
        Policy and it all revolves around the liability insurance for
        practice/events.

        Brad

        Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery at events

        > Arthur wrote:
        >
        > >on #5 you forgot that local marshals can turn in scores to the ikcac ,
        > which lets you practice those chest and face shots ; )
        > >so 1 practice a month could be set up as an ikcac practice for all the
        > active and future combat archers in the area ; )
        >
        > That is true. IKCAC is not as widespread in some Kingdoms, but any
        > practice is a good thing.
        >
        > What's more- Scores for Royal Rounds, IKAC, and IKCAC can be reported
        > from practices with a marshal to record and witness them. It doesn't
        > need to be an official event or activity. ( your Kingdom may vary)
        >
        > Dirk Edward of Frisia

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
          Brad, this is a YMMV - Each kingdom does this a little differently - In
          Atlantia as long as there is a warranted Marshal present on a range, we
          allow Royal Round scores to be submitted.

          It may not be an 'official' practice and therefore not covered under SCA
          insurance and therefore anyone else who is shooting there needs told:
          "Hey, this isn't an SCA practice"

          But we are still ok, if an Atlantian Authorized Marshal is present, for
          an Atlantian RR score to be taken, as they know how to run one by our
          rules. Doesn't matter if at official event/activity/practice or not.
          All that matters is that an Atlantian Marshal ran a RR by Atlantian Rules.

          Otherwise, it's kinda like saying that you aren't allowed to brew,
          unless at an official 'brewers guild' meeting. ;)

          Worse, before we had this change in the rules, we just had local
          newsletters that made statements such as:

          "Archery practice is every evening from 5pm to 11pm at the home of the
          Archery Marshal"

          or "Official archery practice happens non-stop in/around the location of
          wherever the archery marshal happens to be standing"

          Or other similar 'silly' things to get around making sure that if 5 guys
          end up at a range together, that they could record a score.

          Siegfried

          PS - Yes I realize many kingdoms are different. I understand some even
          require they only be at events. We see the royal rounds as a 'training
          aid' and therefore something that should be encouraged to do at all
          times for practicing.