Re: archery during events

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 51 , Apr 7, 2010
      Kirby,
      What you are experiencing is not unique in the SCA. As some have said on this list, heavy fighting is center to the SCA. One need only hang around the tournament field to fully understand this. Fighters come off the field and from then on until long into the night they will relive every single blow thrown on the field. What I also find very unique about this is that if it were not for them, the one doing the talking, the entire battle would have been lost. Yeah, right! Archers don't do this. We are a group with diverse interests and are capable of talking about other things. Yes, we talk technique and equipment like the heavies but we don't do it long into the night.

      Now as for an event featuring archery not being cost effective, I shall simply say BS! Here in Atlantia some of us southerners sat around after the Atlantian Archer Championship shoot and dreamed up the idea of doing something similar in the southern reaches of Atlantia. We call it the Southern Atlantian Archery Day, SAAD for short. The first year we did the event we had some spies placed by a knight who hates archery to observe that the event was a complete and total failure. With 100 archers and more than 100 in attendance was not a failure! If anything it was a smashing success. We are now in our fourth year and the attendance has held, some years a few more, some years a few less. Mostly due to the economy. And yes, the heavies have wailed every single year, "How can you hold an event without heavy fighting?" Our answer remains the same "Easy, don't invite heavies and don't do heavy stuff." SAAD is all about missles, archery, seige, atlatl. We have made a concession to combat archers but there are no heavies to shoot at. Ever hear of the Combat Archer only ravine battle at Gulf Wars? That's the idea.

      Now if I sound a bit harsh on the heavies let me just say that after over 15 years in the SCA I realize that heavy fighting is the number one draw for the SCA. However, if one reads the original SCA charter it states that we exist to study and attempt to recreate life in the Middle Ages. Yes they did a lot of fighting but they also did other things. And if one reads history you realize that the English armies were the force to recon with on the battle field because of their archers. English armies were a blend of men-at-arms, knights, AND archers. They all had a part. The French didn't use their archers effectively and thus lost most of the hundred years wars engagements.

      Good luck with your ventures.

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby" <kkidder@...> wrote:

      > I wasnt to pose a question to everyone. There seems to be a growing trend from autocrats when holding events in my kingdom of making Live weapons and archery a very low consideration. It is upsetting because the fighting groups always are given first thought when planning tournaments for them during events but live weapons is becoming a complete after thought. Anyone have suggestions where maybe this can be reversed? I dont have much of a voice in my barony our kingdom only being a baronial yeoman not yet marshalled, i am in training.

    • Allan Bluehood of Woods End
      Message 51 of 51 , Apr 15, 2010
        I feel that it's not about the external awards and tokens that you get, it's about the internal satisfaction. I happen to know someone who spent twenty years as an SCA member (that's right 20) before getting an AoA. He had served as a Baronial archery captain for several years, run a few shoots at other events, was an archery champion of at least one territory and autocratted at least one archery tournament. After all that, he still wasn't sure that he deserved the award. Obviously he was having fun doing all this and likely felt that that fun was enough reward.
        Thus have I seen...
        -Allan Bluehood-