Followup: SCA to modern archery transition

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2010
      Thank you to all who replied to my original email. It has been a couple months of very busy shooting weeks, and I have entered a few tournaments. So far, I am very pleased with how things are going.

      I had been expecting a much more serious, golf-like environment, but that has not been the case. True, the line is much quieter during shooting, but one the call to go score comes, people as as friendly and talkative as at any SCA event. The main difference is the precision of shooting.

      I have met a few barebow shooter at the tournaments I've entered, and their performance is on par with what I find in the higher ranks of SCA shooters. What I am looking for more is former SCA trad archers who have gone to full Olympic-rigged bows.

      What I have learned is that my 10 years of SCA shooting has given me a good foundation to build my new skills. Unfortunately, I also have 10 years of "bad" habits to correct.

      So far, my progress has been quite good:
        22nd place in the Canadian Indoor Nationals
        2nd place, BC Indoor Championship
        Somewhere in the 60th position in the MICA (North / South America indoor championship)

      Next major tourney will be the Canada Cup (may long weekend).

      I look forward to seeing how my newly learned technique will affect my royal round scores. I have already seen an improvement at 20 yds... I just need to remember that the _whole_ gold ring is the target, not just the X. :)

      William Arwemakere
      Kingdom Protector, An Tir
      Archery Champion, Bordermarch, Ansteorra

    • ICE TIGER
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2010
        What Division are you competing in?
        Dalton