Looking for a synthetic archery glove.

  • RJ Bachner
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
      Heya

      My wife for some odd reason gets the squidgiees when she touches anything
      leather so of course all the archery gloves have to be made of leather. I am
      looking for a reasonably priced synthetic alternative made of nylon or
      pleather or what have you.

      She is not at all concerned with it being period but neon colors would
      preferably be avoided.

      I am on a path where I am slowly eliminating all synthetic materials from my
      life and she wants to get rid of anything that might have come from animals.
      Go figure.

      Ragi

      "Two roads diverged in a wood and I--
      I took the road less traveled by,
      And that has made all the difference"

      ragiwarmbear@...
    • Edward deWitt
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
        She might try No Gloves on her string.  That way she maybe able to get rid of a glove altogether.

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ __

        ragiwarmbear@ sympatico. ca

      • kburgess1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
          http://www.3riversarchery.com/Armguards+Gloves+Tabs+Miscellaneous++No-Glove+Finger+Savers_c1_s55_p0_i5402_product.html

          there you go

          bran

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
            When RJ Bachner put fingers to keys it was 3/27/10 6:01 PM...

            > Heya
            >
            > My wife for some odd reason gets the squidgiees when she touches anything
            > leather so of course all the archery gloves have to be made of leather. I am
            > looking for a reasonably priced synthetic alternative made of nylon or
            > pleather or what have you.

            Y'might be able to do this in heavy nylon cordura:
            http://carl.west.home.comcast.net/~carl.west/3fingerglove.jpg

            pretty quick in leather, having to deal with the edges in nylon will
            slow it down.

            - Fritz
          • Carolus
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
              Cut out the nylon using a hot knife (kind of like an X-Acto blade in a
              soldering iron). This will fuse the edges and prevent fraying.
              Carolus

              Fritz wrote:
              > When RJ Bachner put fingers to keys it was 3/27/10 6:01 PM...
              >

              >> Heya
              >>
              >> My wife for some odd reason gets the squidgiees when she touches anything
              >> leather so of course all the archery gloves have to be made of leather. I am
              >> looking for a reasonably priced synthetic alternative made of nylon or
              >> pleather or what have you.
              >>

              > Y'might be able to do this in heavy nylon cordura:
              > http://carl.west.home.comcast.net/~carl.west/3fingerglove.jpg
              >
              > pretty quick in leather, having to deal with the edges in nylon will
              > slow it down.
              >
              > - Fritz

            • The Greys
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28, 2010
                Ragi,
                While I repsect your wife's choices as a leather worker let me just make a statement here as I have heard this reaction to anything leather often. The leather industry is the ORIGINAL recycling industry. They do not raise cows for the express purpose of their hides. If you are anti the leather industry then you SHOULD be anti McDonalds. They are the single largest consumer of beef in the world. What then is to happen to all those hides? Toss them in a land fill? Seems as though the animal died for a lousy reason to me. Yeah, I don't really care for McDonalds burgers either! By using what would otherwise be a waste product filling our landfills we can create other useful things and often bring a high degree of satisfaction to many people. Now before anyone jumps on me here, yes, part of the leather industry raises some animals solely for their hides or fur. I recognize this. But I am talking about things like deer skin gloves, shoes, belts, purses, and the list goes on. Deer, while not raised like cows, are shot by hunters who would shoot the animal regardless, usually for the meat or trophy. Same thing holds for any American exotic such as Moose, Bison or Elk. As for antlers of these animals, this is a renewable resource, annually renewable. Antlers are shed yearly. Horns are never shed. So cow or water buffalo horn cups, bowls, whistles, etc. come from an animal that was killed. Antlers come from two main sources, sheds - where it falls off at the end of rutting season, or triming when the animals are shipped some place. i.e. I have some Japanese deer antler that came from this very source. But least I get to holy here, I realize some antlers come from animals harvested by hunters.

                So I respect folks who make the choice your wife has made, I also try to inform them that the leather industry is a recycling industry that exists primarily because of the beef industry. And a very simple fact of life is we are all covered in leather. It just needs to be taned.

                Thanks for reading this, and, yes, 3Rivers has some very nice synthetic shooting gloves. I have one that I use now and then. They also sell some very nice shooting tabs which seem to be made out of synthetics more often than shooting gloves.

                Peace,

                cog

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "RJ Bachner" <ragiwarmbear@...> wrote:

                > Heya
                >
                > My wife for some odd reason gets the squidgiees when she touches anything
                > leather so of course all the archery gloves have to be made of leather. I am
                > looking for a reasonably priced synthetic alternative made of nylon or
                > pleather or what have you.
                >
                > She is not at all concerned with it being period but neon colors would
                > preferably be avoided.
                >
                > I am on a path where I am slowly eliminating all synthetic materials from my
                > life and she wants to get rid of anything that might have come from animals.
                > Go figure.
                >
                > Ragi
              • The Greys
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28, 2010
                  I told my lady about my diatribe post about leather working and she made the comment that perhaps Ragi's wife has a physical reaction to leather. If so, PLEASE accept my appolgies should you have interpreted my previous post as a rail against those who wear no leather and don't eat meat. THAT WAS NOT IT'S INTENT. However, I can relate to reactions to leather. As a leather worker I personally react negatively to both Elk and Deer hides due to the different tanning process.

                  Again, I do not judge people for the choices they make in life for themselves. I only try to point out the facts involving those choices. A very good friend in Trimaris has heard my reasons as posted in my previous post and she reamins a vegetarian for personal reasons. Most importantly, I support her and her choice. How boring would life be if we all did, thought and were the same?

                  Peace,
                  cog
                • Carolus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28, 2010
                    Note also many horns come from animals still alive which had their hors
                    removed for safety when in herds. Many deer are also farm raised and
                    used for venison so many of your arguments apply here tool
                    Carolus

                    The Greys wrote:
                    > Ragi,
                    > While I repsect your wife's choices as a leather worker let me just make a statement here as I have heard this reaction to anything leather often. The leather industry is the ORIGINAL recycling industry. They do not raise cows for the express purpose of their hides. If you are anti the leather industry then you SHOULD be anti McDonalds. They are the single largest consumer of beef in the world. What then is to happen to all those hides? Toss them in a land fill? Seems as though the animal died for a lousy reason to me. Yeah, I don't really care for McDonalds burgers either! By using what would otherwise be a waste product filling our landfills we can create other useful things and often bring a high degree of satisfaction to many people. Now before anyone jumps on me here, yes, part of the leather industry raises some animals solely for their hides or fur. I recognize this. But I am talking about things like deer skin gloves, shoes, belts, purses, and the list goes on. Deer, while not raised like cows, are shot by hunters who would shoot the animal regardless, usually for the meat or trophy. Same thing holds for any American exotic such as Moose, Bison or Elk. As for antlers of these animals, this is a renewable resource, annually renewable. Antlers are shed yearly. Horns are never shed. So cow or water buffalo horn cups, bowls, whistles, etc. come from an animal that was killed. Antlers come from two main sources, sheds - where it falls off at the end of rutting season, or triming when the animals are shipped some place. i.e. I have some Japanese deer antler that came from this very source. But least I get to holy here, I realize some antlers come from animals harvested by hunters.
                    >
                    > So I respect folks who make the choice your wife has made, I also try to inform them that the leather industry is a recycling industry that exists primarily because of the beef industry. And a very simple fact of life is we are all covered in leather. It just needs to be taned.
                    >
                    > Thanks for reading this, and, yes, 3Rivers has some very nice synthetic shooting gloves. I have one that I use now and then. They also sell some very nice shooting tabs which seem to be made out of synthetics more often than shooting gloves.
                    >
                    > Peace,
                    >
                    > cog

                  • RJ Bachner
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 28, 2010
                      To be honest I did not get that post nor My own original post but I did see
                      a few of the replies. How odd.

                      Nothing to be offended by in any case.

                      My lady is an ex Vegan with heavy animal rights issues. Leather grosses her
                      out. Now she eats meat but not always happily. Mostly because of my attitude
                      of respect towards my food, what can I say I rubbed off on her.

                      Maybe some day I will somehow get her over her squickeyness too.

                      Ragi

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                        Ragi,
                        Thank you for understanding the nature of my post. It's always a touchy thing expressing views that seem contrary to animal rights and anti vegan. That was not my intent and I thank you for understanding that.

                        cog

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "RJ Bachner" <ragiwarmbear@...> wrote:

                        > To be honest I did not get that post nor My own original post but I did see
                        > a few of the replies. How odd.
                        >
                        > Nothing to be offended by in any case.
                        >
                        > My lady is an ex Vegan with heavy animal rights issues. Leather grosses her
                        > out. Now she eats meat but not always happily. Mostly because of my attitude
                        > of respect towards my food, what can I say I rubbed off on her.
                        >
                        > Maybe some day I will somehow get her over her squickeyness too.
                        >
                        > Ragi

                      • RJ Bachner
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                          Hey if there is anyone more anti animal rights and less vegan than me, let
                          me know.

                        • Hobbe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                            Vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.
                            ~Hobbe

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "RJ Bachner" <ragiwarmbear@...> wrote:
                            > Hey if there is anyone more anti animal rights and less vegan than me, let
                            > me know.
                            >
                            > Ragi
                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010

                              I belong to PETA     People Enjoying Tasty Animals

                              Plus I am an Ohio farmer who helped defeat the animal rights people in our state.

                              James Cunningham

                              James Pratt

                              Vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.
                              ~Hobbe

                              --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "RJ Bachner" <ragiwarmbear@ ...> wrote:

                              > Hey if there is anyone more anti animal rights and less vegan than me, let
                              > me know.
                              >
                              > Ragi

                            • John edgerton
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                                To everyone:

                                Could we please drop this subject, unless you have some helpful information to give to the person with the glove problem.

                                Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, list moderator