Re: Painting a bow.

  • marychance
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 11, 2010
      I didn't catch the start of this, but my first bow was a dull green fiberglass bow. I didn't paint it completely, the color wasn't offensive, but I did paint a knot-work pattern on the front and the sides (near the grip). I never had any problem with the paint.

      Cecelia

      > I have been shooting for 45 years, one of the first group of warranted
      > marshals in Caid beginning 20 years ago, and officiating mundane events
      > up to and including the Olympics. I have never seen a painted bow hide
      > signs of failure. I have also never seen common paints affect fully
      > cured fiberglass resin. It is one of the most chemically resistive
      > materials known. In thee past many bows came factory painted. From the
      > standpoint of a marshal: it is NOT our job to certify safety, only to
      > detect rules violations and blatantly unsafe equipment. While I
      > appreciate the concerns it is not our job to be this critical. From the
      > archer's standpoint: Are you capable of determining your equipment's
      > safety when painted? Are you willing to deal with the hypercritical or
      > less skilled marshal? With this in mind if the choice to paint the bow
      > is made, use as thin a coat as possible, use a paint designed for
      > plastics and a flexible environment, and in any case have fun shooting.
      > Carolus
      >
      > Saethryth Seolforlocc wrote:
      > >

      > > I would strongly advise against painting the bow, as the paint could
      > > obscure cracks that would otherwise be found during a safety
      > > inspection. You could try a red stain.

    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 18, 2010
        In Æthelmearc we require site waivers for events and practices. Many
        practice sites use a group waiver and we keep that 'sign in' sheet on file
        at Kingdom level. That's where we get our numbers from.

        Brad

        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Final Count of Kingdoms Authorizing TA

        Ok, so if they are not authorized, did they just do a head count? just
        wondering where the numbers reported to Society CAME from if not auth. rolls

        Terrance
        Atenveldt