Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching by the numbers

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2010
      it is a factor of torque and is not related to the handedness of the
      bow. To remember torque effects use the right hand rule. Curl the
      fingers of your right hand and extend your thumb. The thumb points the
      direction of travel and the fingers the rotation. This applies to the
      lateral forces generated by rotational torque as well. If you were to
      remove the lug nuts from a tire and move the car forward, the left side
      wheels will want to pull away from the car but the right side wheels
      will be held in place. Remember the rotational effect imparted to an
      object moving in a straight line is very slight and is easily overcome.
      It really doesn't give any stabilization to an arrow but it is
      detectable. One of the best places to see this effect is in the old
      films of the Apollo moon shot launches. The black and white paint was
      so the rotation of the Saturn V could be tracked. That rotation was not
      induced by intent but by rotational torque induced by the movement of
      the rocket itself.
      Carolus

      Edward deWitt wrote:

      > Carolus, You said the bare shaft will rotate clockwise. Is this just
      > from a right hand bow or will a left hand one do the same? If they
      > both rotate the same way, could this be like toilets spinning the same
      > way above the equator and opposite , below?

    • Geirr pík
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2010
        (Small side note: That's not actually true.
        http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp)

        Geirr