Fletching by the numbers

  • G P
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4 7:05 AM
      All of my experiences to date with arrows have three feathers. But I
      was watching a video recently about making primitive bows and arrows
      with simple tools and techniques, and the arrow produced in the video
      used a slit-arrow technique to insert a single piece of thin birchbark
      to stick out on two sides where feathers would be, then re-bind the
      wood behind it.

      What effects would having two feathers instead of three have?

      Geirr
    • Dan Scheid
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 8:20 AM
        I have seen 2,3,4 fletch the point of the fletch is to stabilize the
        arrow. the more fletch incress rotation at the cost of drag. so 2 flech
        will rotate less but should fly longer.
        Damales

        G P wrote:

        > All of my experiences to date with arrows have three feathers. But I
        > was watching a video recently about making primitive bows and arrows
        > with simple tools and techniques, and the arrow produced in the video
        > used a slit-arrow technique to insert a single piece of thin birchbark
        > to stick out on two sides where feathers would be, then re-bind the
        > wood behind it.
        >
        > What effects would having two feathers instead of three have?
        >
        > Geirr

      • Carolus
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4 12:23 PM
          This is almost correct. Drag is controlled by the number, size, shape,
          and composition of the fletching and is a very complex formula.
          Rotation is controlled by the angle of the fletching to the shaft. the
          amount of rotation will be the same regardless of the number of fletches
          provided. The confusion arises because the spin stabilization of the
          arrow is determined by revolutions per time and, with increased drag,
          thee time to target is increased thus giving more turns to target with
          the slower arrow. Increasing the rate of spin also increases drag. It
          would be possible for me to change the aerodynamics of the fletching to
          reduce inherent drag while increasing spin (and spin induced drag) thus
          maintaining speed while increasing spin stabilization if necessary. The
          biggest problem with this fletching would be contact with either the bow
          or the rest (shelf, hand, etc). This will be of minimal effect on a
          longbow with the fletching parallel to the ground as archer's paradox
          will serve to greatly mitigate it. Similar fletching was used on
          crossbows using stiff parchment.
          Carolus

          Dan Scheid wrote:
          > I have seen 2,3,4 fletch the point of the fletch is to stabilize the
          > arrow. the more fletch incress rotation at the cost of drag. so 2 flech
          > will rotate less but should fly longer.
          > Damales
          >
          > G P wrote:
          >
          >> All of my experiences to date with arrows have three feathers. But I
          >> was watching a video recently about making primitive bows and arrows
          >> with simple tools and techniques, and the arrow produced in the video
          >> used a slit-arrow technique to insert a single piece of thin birchbark
          >> to stick out on two sides where feathers would be, then re-bind the
          >> wood behind it.
          >>
          >> What effects would having two feathers instead of three have?
          >>
          >> Geirr

        • G P
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4 12:28 PM
            I had always believed that rotation was due to the angles of the
            feathers, too, but I seem to recall coming across something recently
            (I wish I could remember what!) that said that the arrow will rotate
            all on its own, even without feathers; feathers are only there to
            stabilize wobble (like the tail-end of a weather vane--catch the wind
            in order to always be at the back). Is this true?

            Geirr

            On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
            > This is almost correct.  Drag is controlled by the number, size, shape,
            > and composition of the fletching and is a very complex formula.
            > Rotation is controlled by the angle of the fletching to the shaft.  the
            > amount of rotation will be the same regardless of the number of fletches
            > provided.  The confusion arises because the spin stabilization of the
            > arrow is determined by revolutions per time and, with increased drag,
            > thee time to target is increased thus giving more turns to target with
            > the slower arrow.  Increasing the rate of spin also increases drag.  It
            > would be possible for me to change the aerodynamics of the fletching to
            > reduce inherent drag while increasing spin (and spin induced drag) thus
            > maintaining speed while increasing spin stabilization if necessary.  The
            > biggest problem with this fletching would be contact with either the bow
            > or the rest (shelf, hand, etc).  This will be of minimal effect on a
            > longbow with the fletching parallel to the ground as archer's paradox
            > will serve to greatly mitigate it.  Similar fletching was used on
            > crossbows using stiff parchment.
            > Carolus
            >
            > Dan Scheid wrote:
            >> I have seen 2,3,4 fletch the point of the fletch is to stabilize the
            >> arrow. the more fletch incress rotation at the cost of drag. so 2 flech
            >> will rotate less but should fly longer.
            >> Damales
            >>
            >> G P wrote:
            >>
            >>> All of my experiences to date with arrows have three feathers. But I
            >>> was watching a video recently about making primitive bows and arrows
            >>> with simple tools and techniques, and the arrow produced in the video
            >>> used a slit-arrow technique to insert a single piece of thin birchbark
            >>> to stick out on two sides where feathers would be, then re-bind the
            >>> wood behind it.
            >>>
            >>> What effects would having two feathers instead of three have?
            >>>
            >>> Geirr

          • William Arwemakere
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4 12:46 PM
              I recently learned that yes, an arrow will have some rotation imperted on it based on your release. I will be doing some hight speed video as soon as I get the new camera.

              At the velocities our arrows are generally doing (more importantly the angular, or rotational velocity) the gyroscopic stabilization is a minor factor. One important job that fletching does is to help dampen the vibrations (oscillations) in the shaft.

              In years past I have shot two and four-fletched arrows. Four fletch is nice because you get two effective sets of arrows; they will group differently depending on which way you shoot them (flipping them 180deg on the string). Two fletch were essential for shooting twin arrows in the speed ends of a RR. Many people have tried two arrows at once for the first shot, but I was shooting "twins" on every shot.

              William

              On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM, G P <gonfannon@...> wrote:

              I had always believed that rotation was due to the angles of the
              feathers, too, but I seem to recall coming across something recently
              (I wish I could remember what!) that said that the arrow will rotate
              all on its own, even without feathers; feathers are only there to
              stabilize wobble (like the tail-end of a weather vane--catch the wind
              in order to always be at the back). Is this true?

              Geirr

              On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
              > This is almost correct.  Drag is controlled by the number, size, shape,
              > and composition of the fletching and is a very complex formula.
              > Rotation is controlled by the angle of the fletching to the shaft.  the
              > amount of rotation will be the same regardless of the number of fletches
              > provided.  The confusion arises because the spin stabilization of the
              > arrow is determined by revolutions per time and, with increased drag,
              > thee time to target is increased thus giving more turns to target with
              > the slower arrow.  Increasing the rate of spin also increases drag.  It
              > would be possible for me to change the aerodynamics of the fletching to
              > reduce inherent drag while increasing spin (and spin induced drag) thus
              > maintaining speed while increasing spin stabilization if necessary.  The
              > biggest problem with this fletching would be contact with either the bow
              > or the rest (shelf, hand, etc).  This will be of minimal effect on a
              > longbow with the fletching parallel to the ground as archer's paradox
              > will serve to greatly mitigate it.  Similar fletching was used on
              > crossbows using stiff parchment.
              > Carolus
              >
              > Dan Scheid wrote:
              >> I have seen 2,3,4 fletch the point of the fletch is to stabilize the
              >> arrow. the more fletch incress rotation at the cost of drag. so 2 flech
              >> will rotate less but should fly longer.
              >> Damales
              >>
              >> G P wrote:
              >>
              >>> All of my experiences to date with arrows have three feathers. But I
              >>> was watching a video recently about making primitive bows and arrows
              >>> with simple tools and techniques, and the arrow produced in the video
              >>> used a slit-arrow technique to insert a single piece of thin birchbark
              >>> to stick out on two sides where feathers would be, then re-bind the
              >>> wood behind it.
              >>>
              >>> What effects would having two feathers instead of three have?
              >>>
              >>> Geirr

            • Carolus
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4 1:03 PM
                Yes, an arrow without fletching will develop a clockwise rotation on its
                own due to torque. Once fletching is added, however, this force is
                overcome by the rotational or stabilizing effects from the fletching.
                When tuning a bow a bare shaft should be used. Search the web for "bare
                shaft tuning" for instructions. Using wooden shafts this can be really
                tough and do not expect to get results as perfect as described. Prepare
                your arrows as normal with balance and spine properly configured. Then
                build another arrow identical with the exception that there is no
                fletching. Use this arrow to tune the bow.
                Carolus

                G P wrote:
                > I had always believed that rotation was due to the angles of the
                > feathers, too, but I seem to recall coming across something recently
                > (I wish I could remember what!) that said that the arrow will rotate
                > all on its own, even without feathers; feathers are only there to
                > stabilize wobble (like the tail-end of a weather vane--catch the wind
                > in order to always be at the back). Is this true?
                >
                > Geirr

              • Edward deWitt
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4 4:31 PM
                  Carolus, You said the bare shaft will rotate clockwise.  Is this just from a right hand bow or will a left hand one do the same?  If they both rotate the same way, could this be like toilets spinning the same way above the equator and opposite , below?

                  G P wrote:
                  > I had always believed that rotation was due to the angles of the
                  > feathers, too, but I seem to recall coming across something recently
                  > (I wish I could remember what!) that said that the arrow will rotate
                  > all on its own, even without feathers; feathers are only there to
                  > stabilize wobble (like the tail-end of a weather vane--catch the wind
                  > in order to always be at the back). Is this true?
                  >
                  > Geirr

                • Carolus
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 4 6:16 PM
                    it is a factor of torque and is not related to the handedness of the
                    bow. To remember torque effects use the right hand rule. Curl the
                    fingers of your right hand and extend your thumb. The thumb points the
                    direction of travel and the fingers the rotation. This applies to the
                    lateral forces generated by rotational torque as well. If you were to
                    remove the lug nuts from a tire and move the car forward, the left side
                    wheels will want to pull away from the car but the right side wheels
                    will be held in place. Remember the rotational effect imparted to an
                    object moving in a straight line is very slight and is easily overcome.
                    It really doesn't give any stabilization to an arrow but it is
                    detectable. One of the best places to see this effect is in the old
                    films of the Apollo moon shot launches. The black and white paint was
                    so the rotation of the Saturn V could be tracked. That rotation was not
                    induced by intent but by rotational torque induced by the movement of
                    the rocket itself.
                    Carolus

                    Edward deWitt wrote:

                    > Carolus, You said the bare shaft will rotate clockwise. Is this just
                    > from a right hand bow or will a left hand one do the same? If they
                    > both rotate the same way, could this be like toilets spinning the same
                    > way above the equator and opposite , below?

                  • Geirr pík
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4 6:23 PM
                      (Small side note: That's not actually true.
                      http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp)

                      Geirr