[SCA-Archery] Archery netting alternatives

  • Nicholas Calabria
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
      Greetings Antonio,

      In the Barony of Ynys Fawr we have designed a portable takedown frame and use shadecloth and rope to provide the netting for catching wayward arrows.  Mainly we use lower poundage bows so it has not been tested on very high poundage bows.  It is about 3 metres high with the width of the netting being about 5 meters (I need to check this).

      The frame has a t section at the top to allow two parallel ropes to go from one side of the frame to the other.  The shade cloth then drapes over the rope so you have 4 sheets of shadecloth to stop the arrows.  It works fine unless it is too windy.  I can dig out the drawings for it if you are interested.

      Anselm da Calabria
      Barony of Ynys Fawr
      Kingdom of Lochac

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: sebree@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 22:30:33 +0000
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Archery netting alternatives

      Greeting all,

      I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or designs for an archery "backstop" besides commercial archery netting. Something that you could set up and hang at a site before an event and then take down without too much difficulty.

      The origin of the question comes from an event this past weekend. It consisted of a number of fun shoots at different stations. However, not very far behind the range was woodland and a pond. They could not move any further back because of the buildings. Yes, arrows were lost in the pond and the woods.

      What I am looking for is something that can be hung behind the range in that type of situation which could ideally catch, or at least significantly slow down, standard target arrows that we use. Archery netting is expensive, and I do not have that kind of money.

      One idea I have had, and which I have not been able to act on, test, or research yet, is to get wool blankets from the Army/Navy surplus store, add grommets to the top and velcro to the vertical edges and use that as a hanging backstop.

      Any other ideas would be welcome.

      Antonio Tagliaferro

    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
        You also want them to hang loose and not be stretched tight.  The hanging fabric needs to move to help absorb impact.

        Jon

        pretty much anything like old blankets or even heavy sheets would work to some extent or other. Its getting them in enough quantity or size etc. to do the job you want. Try second hand stores etc. as well as army navy surplus etc.
[...]

      • William Arwemakere
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
          Locally we had a fellow approach construction sites regarding their netting (used to keep tools and debris from falling on the sidewalks). Apparently once they have been used X times, they are no longer usable. I was able to obtain 8 pieces 8' x 20' for free.
          I have found that two layers of this will stop  most of the bows in typical situations. My super-thin carbons will go through, but a 5/16" with field point is stopped.

          To hang the netting both indoors and out, we have made A-frames from 2x4's. 2x2 would also work, as the loads are all compressive. Hang the netting from a rope pulled over the top of the A-frames, and secured with portable holes. This has proven to be much more stable in winds than using two ropes and one pole, as most setups are.

          William

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
            One alternative that we have used locally for high powered crossbows are sheets of OSB particle board. OSB stands Oriented Strand Board and is like a really cheap patchwork plywood. A 4'x8' sheet 5/8" thick will run you less than $10. As mentioned, this will stop a crossbow bolt from a crossbow that will punch the bolt through most archery netting. There is a little trick to removing arrows or bolts that penetrate past the point. With a piece of scrap wood, you gently bang it out from the other side. If you do this, they come out fine just following the path they went in with. However, I have seen some who insist in corkscrewing the arrow free which ends up in gouges on the shaft. Being a wood product, you could paint this to look like a castle wall.

            The blankets or sheets should also work but, as pointed out, you want it to hang loosely so no velcro on the sides. I would probably use cotton sheets instead of wool blankets but I would experiment with layering them. I have also used polyethylene plastic. Experiment before the event to determine how many layers will be needed.

            In Service,
            James
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <sebree@...> wrote:

            > Greeting all,
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or designs for an archery "backstop" besides commercial archery netting. Something that you could set up and hang at a site before an event and then take down without too much difficulty.
            >
            > The origin of the question comes from an event this past weekend. It consisted of a number of fun shoots at different stations. However, not very far behind the range was woodland and a pond. They could not move any further back because of the buildings. Yes, arrows were lost in the pond and the woods.
            >
            > What I am looking for is something that can be hung behind the range in that type of situation which could ideally catch, or at least significantly slow down, standard target arrows that we use. Archery netting is expensive, and I do not have that kind of money.
            >
            > One idea I have had, and which I have not been able to act on, test, or research yet, is to get wool blankets from the Army/Navy surplus store, add grommets to the top and velcro to the vertical edges and use that as a hanging backstop.
            >
            > Any other ideas would be welcome.
            >
            > Antonio Tagliaferro

          • Edward deWitt
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
              We have used cheap drop cloths from the building supply.  It works fairly well, but the higher the poundage, the more likely the arrows will blow through.  Crossbow bolts will usually blow through and often rip fletching off as they go through.
              Edward

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                Please post to the groups file section so others can peruse.

                YIS

                Terrance Of Granite Mountain
                Shire of Granite Mountain
                Kingdom of Atenveldt

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
                  In my basement, I use a plain movers blanket hung from the beams. As long as it hangs free, it will move to catch an arrow, even from a high pound bow (I shoot 60# at 12 yds). The most important thing is that it be free on the bottom to swing with the force.

                  Ormr