Gulf Wars Live Weapons, GET, and Heraldry

  • Christopher LoPresto
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2010
      Greetings all,

      Please see the announcement below from THL Egil Haraldsson, Rangemaster for Live Weapons
      at Gulf Wars XIX.  If you have already seen this before, please note that there have been a few
      updates.  Also, since we would like to have this information widely spread, please forward to any
      Kingdom group lists or archery-related groups lists that you feel would be appropriate.

      Thanks very much and hope to see many of you at the Live Weapons range at GW XIX.

      In Service,
      THL Aleyn Kynyd ap Rhys

      Lords and Ladies,
      We are excited about some of the events happening at Sherwood Range during
      Gulf Wars 19. We will have some new items and some returning. We have changed
      the Grand Exhibition Tourney (GET) so that we can raise the level of the challenge.
      Please pass this information on to any and all Kingdom Boards you may be on. We
      would like to see a large turnout for the GET. Also make sure you let all of your new
      archers know that this year they too will have a chance at making the GET and will have
      a chance to win the Gleann Abhann Prize Series (Fun Shoots)Grand Prize on Friday.
      We wish to get the newest archers invloved an make it exciting for the
      experienced archers. We have some interesting shoots lined up.

      As always the range could use the assistance of all Marshels. Even if you can
      only give an hour or two. Please visit the range and take the line so that
      others may get a rest or go and complete a class. The Range staff thanks you in
      advance for your time and efforts.

      The Thrown Weapons will also have the Freya's Throw on Wednesday. It is an all
      Female Tourney but we can use the assistance of the Lords in Marshalling the
      range. If you have your warrent please assist as you can. The range will also be
      holding MIT Training each morning from 8:00 am to 9:00 am. If your interested in
      becoming a GA Marshal or want to learn the basics to take home please visit the
      range in the mornings.

      Below is the information on the GET and the Prize Series. Please pass this
      information on to all the archery groups and Kingdom groups.

      Thank you very much, we look forward to you visiting the range during Gulf Wars.
      Your in Service,
      Sherwood Range Staff
      THL Egil Haraldsson
      MIC

      Gulf Wars 19 (2010) Grand Exhibition Tournament

      This year's Grand Exhibition Tournament will put Kingdom against Kingdom and
      Archer against Archer. Allies of Trimaris will shoot against Allies of
      Ansteorra. Each Kingdom represented at Gulf Wars may put together a two Archer
      team to represent the Crown of that Kingdom. The team must consist of at least
      one acceptable standard SCA bow (Recurve, Reflex/Deflex or Longbow). There will
      be three rounds; the first will see allies against allies, the second will have
      individual Kingdom teams shooting against each other, and the final round will
      have individual archers shooting for Best Archer of the GET.

      There will also be the Gleann Abhann Prize Series. The top Two archers from
      Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's Fun Shoots will get a automatic invite into the
      GET (Should an archer win on more than one day the next archer will advance).
      There will also be two Wild Card Shooters drawn. This will allow our Newest
      Archers a chance to stand on the field with each Kingdoms best. Teams will be
      chosen by lot from those advancing from the Prize Series. What better learning
      experience for our future Prized Archers. So, archers, practice your craft,
      Kingdoms, select your Two-Archer Teams, and meet us on Hastings Field, Thursday
      at 3:00 pm or after the last battle is completed. We shall be setting up by the
      Fort.

      ***(NOTE)*** Each Kingdom-selected, two-person team must consist of either two archers
      or one archer and one crossbowman/woman. No two-crossbow teams.
      Each team should have a Field Herald to represent them. The herald should find fun or
      interesting ways to introduce the team they represent. There will be a judging of the
      Heralds by their Majesties (or their representatives). There will be a scroll given at Great Court
      for the Best Herald and for the Overall Winner of the GET. There will also be a very nice prize for
      the Overall winner of the GET given out at Great Court.
      (Note) Those who win their way into the GET by winning the GA Prize series or selected by lot as
      one of the Wildcard Teams, should find suitable Heralds to introduce them or may find such assistance
      via a volunteer Herald from Heralds Point.

      Gleann Abhann Prize Series (Fun Shoot)

      The GA Fun shoots will be held at 4:00 pm each day, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
      and Friday. There will be two divisions, Standard SCA Bow (Recurve,
      Reflex/Deflex and Longbows) and a Crossbow Division. The first three days, 1st
      and 2nd place winners from both divisions will put their name in a hat and the
      team will be drawn by lot. Should an archer win more than one day the next
      archer will advance to the GET. Everyone who shows up at the range and
      participates in the Fun Shoots will have their name put into a Jar, Bucket or
      Box, whatever we have. Winners of each day's shoot will have their name added
      twice more to the jar and the 2nd and 3rd place winner will each have their name
      added once more. The Grand Prize will be drawn on Friday evening after the last
      shoot and all names have been put into the jar. This will allow the newest
      archer a chance to win the Grand Prize, which has normally been a very nice
      prize. So come down to the range at 4:00 pm and have fun shooting at some very
      interesting and challenging targets, meet some of the Known World's finest
      archers, and have a chance to win the Grand Prize on Friday

    • Egil
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
        Bumped up, GW is getting close so get those two archer teams to gether and represent your Kingdom during the GET. If you have a team already please secure a Herald and get the SCA names of the Archers and the Herald to me as soon as possible.
        Thank you,
        Egil