Re: string making

  • aharndts67
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
      Yeah that DVD from 3 rivers archery is a very good video... it is all in the twist.
      Spend some time learning on making the 3ply string. the plus to a 3 ply is that the string is a round string, and far better custom color options...
      Bit of advice. Don't mix B-50 with Fastflite string... makes a weird string size. it almost like a D.
      what do you use for your serving string.. the braided black and white fast flite or standard #4 nylon.

      oh don't feel bad if a friend asks you to make a string for them, $10 each. and that is cheap.

      And welcome to the quiet guild of string makers.
    • Ld. Cian Rhys Gravenor
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 7, 2010
        I've been making my own Flemish Strings for over a year now and I love it. I too, learned from 3 rivers but I never got the dvd. I just got a copy of the instructions from them.   I've done both 2 and 3 color strings though the 3-color is only a little more difficult. I've even managed to make a Flemish twist for my crossbow. =) I love it and will probably never return to the endless loop unless I absolutely have to.

        Cian

        To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 7, 2010
          I've been making my own strings, too.  I've been using Irish Linen and hemp for them.  I Flemish twist one end and use a bowyer's knot on the other end.  Works really well.

          Cheers!

          Robert

          --
          "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
          --Leonardo da Vinci

          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 8, 2010
            Robert,  I use a bowyers knot on my Flemish strings also.
            When you use linen, what quantity of strands do you use?   I am looking to make 35-40 pound strings for my bows.  Do you use all the same color or do you color them for separation purposes?
            Ld Edward

            To: SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
              Well, I have been making strings with 14-16 strands of #18 waxed Irish linen for the bows that I've made at 40-50 lbs.  I've broken a couple at 14 strands on my 50lb bow but not at 40.  The linen cord that I use typically has a breaking strength of about 17 lbs for a single strand, giving a breaking strength of a 16 strand string of 272 lbs.  You have to be careful at only 5x the strength of the bow to not shoot very light weight arrows.  If there is too much energy left in the bow, it will be dissipated in the string, causing it to fail catastrophically.

              I typically use two colors for the strings but I have used only one at times.  I like the two color, mostly for looks since a green/gold twisted string looks nice.  I also find that with 16 strands, I can't make a serving where the arrow nocks.  I just make sure I keep it well waxed when I shoot.  I don't bother with servings at all, any more.

              I have been using Royalwood Ltd. waxed Irish linen cord (4 ply which is labeled as #18 on the spool).

              Hope this helps

              Robert l'Étourdi

              To: SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 14, 2010
                On Sunday 21 February I will be at Caid's Queen's Champion Archery event in Van Nuys, CA. Time permitting I will be happy to give a demonstration/lesson on making Flemish bowstrings.
                Just find the Greenman Archery booth and we'll figure out a good time to do it.

                Guy
              • kburgess1@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                  what material is best for modern sca legal crossbows / hand bows ?
                  i want to start making my own but would like some input b4 paying for the wrong materials.

                  thanks all

                  bran

                • Guy Taylor
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                    I'd go with Brownell's B-50 or BCY B-500 (same material, different companies).
                    If you have newer bows that are ok for high performance strings then you could go with Fast Flight, Dynema, etc. but I wouldn't use those on a bow unless it is ok per the bowyer.

                    Guy

                  • padraig@cablespeed.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010

                      I suggest you speak with Master Cunningham, Garvin the Slow, and Gladius the Alchemist. All are Foresters and are on the Greenwood list.

                      Padraig

                      On Tue Mar 2 21:12 , kburgess1@... sent: