Re: [SCA-Archery] string making

  • mccobalt@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3 10:25 AM

      Where did you get the DVD?  I took a class at Pennsic a few years ago... And tried to make a few strings but never got to the point that I felt safe putting it on my bow...

      Fearghus

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3 10:27 AM
        greetings

        it can be fun, but it can also be frustrating.
        don't get in a hurry, and use plenty of wax.
        and finaly , have fun, and teach others ; )

        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
        Arthur

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3 10:29 AM

          greetings

          there will be a class at the winterkingdom event in northkeep ansteorra this saturday ; )
          but no dvd's that i know of : (
          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
          Arthur
          Where did you get the DVD?  I took a class at Pennsic a few years ago... And tried to make a few strings but never got to the point that I felt safe putting it on my bow...

          Fearghus

          im starting to learn how to make a Flemish string and i got all the stuff to do it and a dvd to show me how any im put

        • Noah GANZEVOORT
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3 10:41 AM
            from 3river archery it looked good

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4 5:34 AM
              I won a jig at a local event and had Joe at Elk Ridge Archery show me how to make them. After some degree, high, of frustration, I finally figured it out. Here's my method. After I cut the bundles, I do two bundle strings of 7 strands each for a total of 14 strands per string. Measure back 9 inches for the end loop. I twist each bundle clock wise then twist the bundles together counter clock wise. The part I messed up continuously was to twist the loop on the other end in the opposite direction. I over thought the process. Do both loop ends the same way. The one thing I do before I serve the nocking point is to hook one end of the string on the jig, I put a cup hook on it just for this purpose, then twist the entire string fairly tight. I then run my fingers up and down the string to help round it out. Then I let the string untwist as much as it wants to. At this point the string may be either too short or too long for the bow so you can twist or untwist as needed to adjust. I found out the twisting tight step seems to settle the strands in to each other better than it I don't and reduces the amount of stretch you will get once the string is on the bow.

              If you want a very period string only put a loop on one end. Use a bowyers knott (timber hitch) on the other end. It works just fine but I have run into marshals who wanted to fail the string because it was "tied on". Read here, they didn't know what they were looking at.

              cog
            • aharndts67
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4 1:52 PM
                Yeah that DVD from 3 rivers archery is a very good video... it is all in the twist.
                Spend some time learning on making the 3ply string. the plus to a 3 ply is that the string is a round string, and far better custom color options...
                Bit of advice. Don't mix B-50 with Fastflite string... makes a weird string size. it almost like a D.
                what do you use for your serving string.. the braided black and white fast flite or standard #4 nylon.

                oh don't feel bad if a friend asks you to make a string for them, $10 each. and that is cheap.

                And welcome to the quiet guild of string makers.
              • Ld. Cian Rhys Gravenor
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7 9:02 PM
                  I've been making my own Flemish Strings for over a year now and I love it. I too, learned from 3 rivers but I never got the dvd. I just got a copy of the instructions from them.   I've done both 2 and 3 color strings though the 3-color is only a little more difficult. I've even managed to make a Flemish twist for my crossbow. =) I love it and will probably never return to the endless loop unless I absolutely have to.

                  Cian

                  To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7 9:23 PM
                    I've been making my own strings, too.  I've been using Irish Linen and hemp for them.  I Flemish twist one end and use a bowyer's knot on the other end.  Works really well.

                    Cheers!

                    Robert

                    --
                    "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
                    --Leonardo da Vinci

                    To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 8 7:26 PM
                      Robert,  I use a bowyers knot on my Flemish strings also.
                      When you use linen, what quantity of strands do you use?   I am looking to make 35-40 pound strings for my bows.  Do you use all the same color or do you color them for separation purposes?
                      Ld Edward

                      To: SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 9 5:05 PM
                        Well, I have been making strings with 14-16 strands of #18 waxed Irish linen for the bows that I've made at 40-50 lbs.  I've broken a couple at 14 strands on my 50lb bow but not at 40.  The linen cord that I use typically has a breaking strength of about 17 lbs for a single strand, giving a breaking strength of a 16 strand string of 272 lbs.  You have to be careful at only 5x the strength of the bow to not shoot very light weight arrows.  If there is too much energy left in the bow, it will be dissipated in the string, causing it to fail catastrophically.

                        I typically use two colors for the strings but I have used only one at times.  I like the two color, mostly for looks since a green/gold twisted string looks nice.  I also find that with 16 strands, I can't make a serving where the arrow nocks.  I just make sure I keep it well waxed when I shoot.  I don't bother with servings at all, any more.

                        I have been using Royalwood Ltd. waxed Irish linen cord (4 ply which is labeled as #18 on the spool).

                        Hope this helps

                        Robert l'Étourdi

                        To: SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 14 6:14 PM
                          On Sunday 21 February I will be at Caid's Queen's Champion Archery event in Van Nuys, CA. Time permitting I will be happy to give a demonstration/lesson on making Flemish bowstrings.
                          Just find the Greenman Archery booth and we'll figure out a good time to do it.

                          Guy
                        • kburgess1@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                            what material is best for modern sca legal crossbows / hand bows ?
                            i want to start making my own but would like some input b4 paying for the wrong materials.

                            thanks all

                            bran

                          • Guy Taylor
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                              I'd go with Brownell's B-50 or BCY B-500 (same material, different companies).
                              If you have newer bows that are ok for high performance strings then you could go with Fast Flight, Dynema, etc. but I wouldn't use those on a bow unless it is ok per the bowyer.

                              Guy

                            • padraig@cablespeed.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010

                                I suggest you speak with Master Cunningham, Garvin the Slow, and Gladius the Alchemist. All are Foresters and are on the Greenwood list.

                                Padraig

                                On Tue Mar 2 21:12 , kburgess1@... sent: