Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery article

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010

      Jon,

      You can start with Godfrey of Bouillon in the first crusade and Richard in the third crusade. Hardly peasants.

      Charles O'Connor

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
        Charles

        Thank you.  I already have them in my notes along with the instances I could find where they are mentioned using a crossbow shooting at the enemy.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
          Richard de Clare, called "Strongbow", conqueror of Leinster in 1171.

          Ivan Strongbow, sub-prince of Gorodets 1403-1408, and prince of Suzdal 1412-1414.

          The famous story of Jarl Einar's bow being shattered by Jarl Finn's bowshot in the sea-battle of Svölðr, AD 1000.

          Nigel

          --
          "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."
          -
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
            I have Jarl Einar's story.

            I am familiar with Richard de Clare, but not with Ivan Strongbow.   Are there any sources that tell of them actually using a bow in battle?  I need to be able to document my references.

            Jon

            http://web.raex. com/~obsidian/ regindex. html