Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Fw: CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT

  • D Humberson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2000
      Very good point, Taillear. The best archery marshals can do is minimize the
      chance of injury, to either archers or bystanders. That effort is all the
      more important for it's necessary incompleteness - and I will be adding a
      copy of this photo to the kit I keep for archers who don't understand why
      equipment gets downchecked.

      Ragnar Ketilsson

      >From: greytaylor@...
      >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Fw: CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT
      >Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:13:22 -0000
      >
      >It should be noted that the individual injured and the others that
      >shoot with him DID check their equipment prior to their shooting
      >session. The article and pictures are a lesson that despite our best
      >plans things occasionally go wrong with disasterous results. We do
      >not live in a totally safe world.
      >
      >This was not an SCA related incident. They were shooting at an
      >indoor range with compound bows. The arrows were proper for the bow
      >being used. It was theorized that there was an unseen flaw in the
      >arrow.
      >
      >The injured party went through three hours of surgery and is expected
      >to regain full use of his hand once therapy is completed.
      >
      >Taillear

    • Shurgin,Gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2000
        Even so, there are hidden flaws in equipment, that we as archery marshalls
        can not always see. When equipment inspecting, we do not guarentee total
        safety, but as close as we can get by looking for flaws. There have been
        many a bow that failed while being shot, that had just gone through our
        inspection processes, because of unseen flaws.

        Roewynne

      • Ken and Jenn White
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2000
          I always considered part of the job of inspecting gear being
          teaching the archers how to check their own equipment.

          Nicetas
        • Scott Lane
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2000
            >Even so, there are hidden flaws in equipment, that we as archery marshalls
            >can not always see. When equipment inspecting, we do not guarentee total
            >safety, but as close as we can get by looking for flaws. There have been
            >many a bow that failed while being shot, that had just gone through our
            >inspection processes, because of unseen flaws.
            >Roewynne

            I think that this is understood. Marshals are not non-destructive
            test engineers, and have never been expected to be. Let's let this rest
            here, as another list that I am on just recently emerged from a two week
            flame fest on pretty much the same subject :(

            In Service,
            Lord Aodhfin Seibert
          • Block, Alan W
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2000
              All sports have risks associated with them and we by participating, accept
              those risks as a part of the game. The photo should remind us that archery
              is not risk free even though we and the marshals do our honest best to keep
              our equipment in shape.