crossbow project

  • Cleve Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
    The kids and I are working (slowly) on crossbows for each of us.  I made one set of 8 bolts and three triggers (pictures attached) so far.  Since we are not skilled at woodworking, the crossbows will be rather plain; however, they will be functional.  Frode Kettleson (sp???) is working on wooden prods for us.  I have drawn the shape of the stocks on a 2x4, but I am waiting on warmer weather so I can get out in the garage to cut them.

    Eadric of Grenfeld

    Cleve Johnson

    "Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."

  • Carolus
    Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      I have found that a shoe rasp (one of those strange files with four
      cutting surfaces) to be most helpful in shaping stocks. They will
      quickly remove corners to make round or oval cross-sections and then
      prepare the surface for sanding. Makes a rather simple design anything
      but plain and makes the casual woodworker look like a skilled artisan.

      Where did you find reference to the first two bolt fletchings. I have
      not seen that trapezoid pattern documented before.
      Carolus

      Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
        The trapezoid fletching is the back half of a shield feather.  I was just experimenting and conserving feathers by cutting them in half and using both front and back.  It will be interesting to see how they fly.

        Eadric

        href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/attachments/folder/1378580121/item/1206843703/view" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCA- Archery/attachme nts/folder/ 1378580121/ item/1206843703/ view>
        > crossbow-bolts- 2.jpg
        > <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCA- Archery/attachme nts/folder/ 1378580121/ item/1206843703/ view>
        > crossbow-triggers. jpg
        > <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCA- Archery/attachme nts/folder/ 1378580121/ item/1286725889/ view>