Archery article

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
      Greetings and a Happy New Year and a Joyous Twelfth NIght to all.

      The final version of my article on Medieval and Renaissance archery
      targets and competitions is now in a folder in the files section of
      this group. There have been some minor corrections and some new
      material added.

      26%20competitions/

      Please feel free to put my article on your kingdom or local archery
      list or web site, if you wish to do so.

      Next on my to do list is an article showing that not all medieval
      military archers were peasants.

      My thanks to all that gave me comments on this article.

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West
    • J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010

        Jon,

        You can start with Godfrey of Bouillon in the first crusade and Richard in the third crusade. Hardly peasants.

        Charles O'Connor

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCA- Archery/files/ period%20targets %20%

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
          Charles

          Thank you.  I already have them in my notes along with the instances I could find where they are mentioned using a crossbow shooting at the enemy.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
            Richard de Clare, called "Strongbow", conqueror of Leinster in 1171.

            Ivan Strongbow, sub-prince of Gorodets 1403-1408, and prince of Suzdal 1412-1414.

            The famous story of Jarl Einar's bow being shattered by Jarl Finn's bowshot in the sea-battle of Svölðr, AD 1000.

            Nigel

            --
            "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."
            -
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
              I have Jarl Einar's story.

              I am familiar with Richard de Clare, but not with Ivan Strongbow.   Are there any sources that tell of them actually using a bow in battle?  I need to be able to document my references.

              Jon

              http://web.raex. com/~obsidian/ regindex. html