Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow questions

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2009
      Most crossbows have a draw length of 10-14 inches. Determining the
      required dimensions of a wooden prod will be quite problematic as it
      depends on the density of the particular piece of wood, whether it is
      heartwood, sapwood, or is on the boundary of the two (the best possible
      situation). Using red oak you have a great advantage as it can be
      steamed and pressed to form a really nice working recurve, but this
      complicates the calculations enormously. You have a fantastic research
      project ahead of you. Please keep us informed of what you learn as you
      go along.
      Carolus