Re: [SCA-Archery] Target Article on the web

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 4, 2009
      Thank you Carolus for your assistance.

      The article on his site is a draft version. I will be making some
      changes to the table of contents and re-formatting in places to clear
      it up. There have been two new short sections added to this version
      versus the one I first sent out. I would like input from everyone
      that reads it, as to any thing that may not be clear or any
      additional information and source you might might have on other
      period competitions. etc.

      When I have read the input, I will update a finished version of the
      article and load it on the SCA archery site as well as on Carolus site.

      Thank you

      Jon

      On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:46 PM, Carolus wrote:

      > Ok, folks. It's here. I have a minimalist web site I use for testing
      > projects and have placed Sir Jon' fine article there. It is a MSWord
      > document and will open from the link if your browser is set up for it.
      > If your browser doesn't give you the option to save the file and you
      > want a copy on your system, right click on the link and save to file.
      >
      > I will be happy to publish other articles or material of interest
      > to the
      > members of this list.
      >
      > The address is:
      >
      > http:rosesandivy.net
      >
      > For those interested in knowing, the name of this site comes from the
      > medieval language of flowers and refers to love and friendship. It is
      > very basic now as I haven't had a real purpose before but now maybe I
      > can help publish some of the fine work folks here have done.
      >
      > Carolus
    • Terry
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 4, 2009
        Except the link goes to a page showing a string of HTML code that must have an error. no document, and no link that works

        Terrance
        Atenveldt

        > Thank you Carolus for your assistance.
        >
        > The article on his site is a draft version. I will be making some
        > changes to the table of contents and re-formatting in places to clear
        > it up. There have been two new short sections added to this version
        > versus the one I first sent out. I would like input from everyone
        > that reads it, as to any thing that may not be clear or any
        > additional information and source you might might have on other
        > period competitions. etc.
        >
        > When I have read the input, I will update a finished version of the
        > article and load it on the SCA archery site as well as on Carolus site.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Jon
        >
        > On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:46 PM, Carolus wrote:
        >
        > > Ok, folks. It's here. I have a minimalist web site I use for testing
        > > projects and have placed Sir Jon' fine article there. It is a MSWord
        > > document and will open from the link if your browser is set up for it.
        > > If your browser doesn't give you the option to save the file and you
        > > want a copy on your system, right click on the link and save to file.
        > >
        > > I will be happy to publish other articles or material of interest
        > > to the
        > > members of this list.
        > >
        > > The address is:
        > >
        > > http:rosesandivy.net
        > >
        > > For those interested in knowing, the name of this site comes from the
        > > medieval language of flowers and refers to love and friendship. It is
        > > very basic now as I haven't had a real purpose before but now maybe I
        > > can help publish some of the fine work folks here have done.
        > >
        > > Carolus

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 4, 2009
          Try http://rosesandivy.net

          On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Terry wrote:

          > Except the link goes to a page showing a string of HTML code that
          > must have an error. no document, and no link that works
          >
          > Terrance
          > Atenveldt

        • Edward deWitt
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
            Carolus, thank you for posting this great article. Jon, thank you for such a labor to create this article. I have only skimmed the content, but it looks very thorough. The brain has already started devising shoots for some of the illustrations.
            Edward

            ________________________________

            John Edgerton wrote:
            > Carolus will post the address to the list when the article is up on
            > his site.
            >
            > Jon

          • Eibhilin
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
              I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the direct links provided here.
              Eibhilin

              > Try http://rosesandivy.net
              >

              > On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Terry wrote:
              >
              > > Except the link goes to a page showing a string of HTML code that
              > > must have an error. no document, and no link that works
              > >
              > > Terrance
              > > Atenveldt

            • Terrance Timmons
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                maybe its browser related? im using ie7 at work, and IE8 at home

                Terrance
                atenveldt
                I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the direct links provided here.
                Eibhilin

                > Try http://rosesandivy.net
                >

                > On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Terry wrote:
                >
                > > Except the link goes to a page showing a string of HTML code that
                > > must have an error. no document, and no link that works
                > >
                > > Terrance
                > > Atenveldt

              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                  Edward

                  Thank you. I hope you will find some useful details when you have a
                  chance to read all of it.

                  Jon

                  On Dec 5, 2009, at 4:11 AM, Edward deWitt wrote:

                  > Carolus, thank you for posting this great article. Jon, thank you
                  > for such a labor to create this article. I have only skimmed the
                  > content, but it looks very thorough. The brain has already started
                  > devising shoots for some of the illustrations.
                  > Edward
                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                    Interesting. I click on the roseandivy address below and it takes me
                    straight to the site.

                    Carolus

                    Do you know what would cause this?

                    Jon

                    On Dec 5, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Eibhilin wrote:

                    > I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the
                    > direct links provided here.
                    > Eibhilin
                    >
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Try http://rosesandivy.net
                    > >

                    > > On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Terry wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Except the link goes to a page showing a string of HTML code that
                    > > > must have an error. no document, and no link that works
                    > > >
                    > > > Terrance
                    > > > Atenveldt

                  • James of the Lake
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                      I get to the site alright with Safari, but no article or links to one.

                      James

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                        If anyone is still having trouble getting the article draft on the
                        site, please email me and I will send you a copy.

                        Jon
                        On Dec 5, 2009, at 10:41 AM, James of the Lake wrote:

                        > I get to the site alright with Safari, but no article or links to one.
                        >
                        > James
                        >
                        > On Dec 5, 2009, at 9:40 AM, John edgerton wrote:
                        >
                        > > Interesting. I click on the roseandivy address below and it takes me
                        > > straight to the site.
                        > >
                        > > Carolus
                        > >
                        > > Do you know what would cause this?
                        > >
                        > > Jon
                        > >
                        > > On Dec 5, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Eibhilin wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the
                        > >> direct links provided here.
                        > >> Eibhilin
                        > >>
                        > >> --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...>

                      • Carolus
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                          What browser and operating system are you using?
                          Carolus

                          Eibhilin wrote:
                          > I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the direct links provided here.
                          > Eibhilin
                          >
                          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Try http://rosesandivy.net
                          >>

                          >> On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Terry wrote:
                          >>

                          >>> Except the link goes to a page showing a string of HTML code that
                          >>> must have an error. no document, and no link that works
                          >>>
                          >>> Terrance
                          >>> Atenveldt

                        • Carolus
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                            It appears there are some issues with browser compatibility. I have
                            been using Firefox with no problem. I have been able to duplicate the
                            issue with IE 6 and IE8. An alternative which I confirmed works in both
                            of these is to use the following url:

                            http://rosesandivy.net/1draft.doc

                            It opens the file directly and will allow the file to be saved.
                            Carolus

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                              That link worked for me; I was able to open the file with Open Office
                              and I think all of the pictures came through OK this time.

                              Thanks, Carolus!

                              James

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                                Glad to be able to help. I have plenty of space available for those big
                                files which don't translate well to the list archives.
                                Carolus

                                James of the Lake wrote:
                                > That link worked for me; I was able to open the file with Open Office
                                > and I think all of the pictures came through OK this time.
                                >
                                > Thanks, Carolus!

                              • Eibhilin
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                                  Internet Explorer on Vista.

                                  > What browser and operating system are you using?
                                  > Carolus
                                  >
                                  > Eibhilin wrote:
                                  > > I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the direct links provided here.
                                  > > Eibhilin
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> Try http://rosesandivy.net

                                • Eibhilin
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                                    Internet Exporer on Vista. Sir Jon did send me an email with it.
                                    Eibhlin

                                    > What browser and operating system are you using?
                                    > Carolus
                                    >
                                    > Eibhilin wrote:
                                    > > I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the direct links provided here.
                                    > > Eibhilin
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >> Try http://rosesandivy.net

                                  • Harry Billings

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
                                        try deleting the space between dot and net

                                        ________________________________
                                        I'm seeing the same problem, too, even going straight off the direct links provided here.
                                        Eibhilin

                                        --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, John edgerton <sirjon1@... > wrote:

                                        > Try http://rosesandivy. net
                                        >

                                        > On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Terry wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Except the link goes to a page showing a string of HTML code that
                                        > > must have an error. no document, and no link that works
                                        > >
                                        > > Terrance
                                        > > Atenveldt

                                      • alessandradebarbuzza
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 6, 2009
                                          I use Mozzila/FireFox and I could open it without an issue. You might want to consider using it. It's very good at keeping out viruses and such. Anyway, it's a suggestion considering I could open it. Thank you for the link.

                                          Alessandra