Re: Looking for steel roller-nut

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
      The crossbow that i am building will have a 150# draw weight prod on it. I'll be mainly using the crossbow for hunting.

      As for the horn, I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure where to find a 1-1/2" dia. soild horn.

      Andreas

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W" <jameswolfden@...> wrote:

      > If for a crossbow, horn would be more period appropriate. The Delrin that is available on Alcheminc.com is intended to substitute for horn. You will still have to shape it yourself.
      >
      > If the prod is light enough, it can be done from hardwood. I have even heard of it being done as lamination.
      >
      > James
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <adhazen1974@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
      > >
      > > Andreas

    • James W
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
        I would stay away from steel roller nut and go with the plastic rod which you can either source locally or from alcheminc.com

        If you want to go the horn routine, you can get a rectangular block of horn from 3riversarchery that would need to be turned. You would want to do that anyways as even a round horn might not be evenly round.

        http://www.3riversarchery.com/Primitives+Arrow+Building++Horn+Blocks_c13_s261_p0_i6339_product.html

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <adhazen1974@...> wrote:

        > The crossbow that i am building will have a 150# draw weight prod on it. I'll be mainly using the crossbow for hunting.
        >
        > As for the horn, I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure where to find a 1-1/2" dia. soild horn.
        >
        > Andreas

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
          Thanks, I would love to see some pictures.

          Jon

          On Nov 17, 2009, at 4:10 PM, Carolus wrote:

          > I took two 1/4" plates and cut notches into them which I rounded to be
          > string friendly. I then turned a piece of 1-1/4" aluminum rod into an
          > hourglass shape with a 5/8" center to serve as a shaft and spacer to
          > hold the plates 1-1/4" apart. The ends of the spindle holes formed
          > recesses into which I mounted ball bearings. Opposite the notches I
          > mounted a rod with a brass tube sleeve to engage the tickler. Machined
          > brass bolts form the pivots for the bearings. It spins very freely and
          > has a soft but firm release. I ended up using a small piece of plastic
          > pipe and some epoxy putty to form a cradle for the end of a Fellwalker
          > bolt but this wouldn't be needed for tube ammo. I'll see if I can put
          > some pictures of the bow and it's parts on the list photos section.
          > Carolus
          >
          > John Edgerton wrote:
          > > Carolus
          > >
          > > I would like to learn more about your "fabricated aluminum skeleton
          > > roller nut".
          > >
          > > Jon
          > >

          > > On Nov 17, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Carolus wrote:
          > >

          > >> I have used Mycrta as a replacement for ivory. I have used solid
          > metal
          > >> nuts and found them too heavy for good performance. For my combat
          > >> crossbow I used a fabricated aluminum skeleton roller nut.
          > >> Carolus

          > 11/16/09 19:53:00

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
            By light I would mean less than 200 lb. But that is not using wooden dowel
            rod material, but using a round sawn from a thick board and the notch cut
            from the end grain of the round and the sear in the other end grain. Oh yea
            do not even think about an axel for a wood nut. If it does not stay in the
            "nut hole" nusfaden (sp) it in.

            James Cunningham