Looking for steel roller-nut

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
      Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?

      Andreas
    • Mark Hendershott
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
        At 09:51 AM 11/17/2009, you wrote:

        >Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
        >
        >Andreas

        Don't know where to get any but it seems like a fairly simple
        machining jog. Turn a cylinder of the proper diameter, mill the
        notch, cut to length and polish as required. If you need one bad
        enough it might be worth the cost.

        Simon Sinneghe
        Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
      • Steven Chang
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
          Are you talking about this thing for the ILF limbs?

          http://www.tradtecharchery.com/Details.aspx?itemNo=3880095

          or Are you talking about a roller nut for a crossbow?

          On 11/17/09, Drew <adhazen1974@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
          >
          > Andreas

        • Fritz
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
            When Mark Hendershott put fingers to keys it was 11/17/09 2:22 PM...

            > At 09:51 AM 11/17/2009, you wrote:
            >>
            >> Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
            >>
            >> Andreas
            >>

            > Don't know where to get any but it seems like a fairly simple
            > machining jog. Turn a cylinder of the proper diameter, mill the
            > notch, cut to length and polish as required. If you need one bad
            > enough it might be worth the cost.

            Y'can make one quick and simple as above, you can even do it with a
            hacksaw, chisels, and handfiles, but there is more to a good nut:

            Y'also prolly otta cut the sear and put in a hardened insert, or harden
            the whole thing. Radius the edges where the string will bear on it.
            Drilling out the side opposite the notch so it balances would be good too.

            (and I'm just a longbow shooter, I'm sure there are some fiddly bits I
            missed)

            --
            Fritz
            Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
              Greetings. Look up Alchem. They have a plastic roller nut, but not steel. I have seen brass and steel ones offered before. Can't remember exactly where. Google crossbow parts or like that. Stuff is out there, you just gotta DIG for it! Have fun. YIS, Abner.
            • James W
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                If for a crossbow, horn would be more period appropriate. The Delrin that is available on Alcheminc.com is intended to substitute for horn. You will still have to shape it yourself.

                If the prod is light enough, it can be done from hardwood. I have even heard of it being done as lamination.

                James

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <adhazen1974@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
                >
                > Andreas

              • Carolus
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                  I have used Mycrta as a replacement for ivory. I have used solid metal
                  nuts and found them too heavy for good performance. For my combat
                  crossbow I used a fabricated aluminum skeleton roller nut.
                  Carolus

                  James W wrote:
                  > If for a crossbow, horn would be more period appropriate. The Delrin that is available on Alcheminc.com is intended to substitute for horn. You will still have to shape it yourself.
                  >
                  > If the prod is light enough, it can be done from hardwood. I have even heard of it being done as lamination.
                  >
                  > James
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <adhazen1974@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
                  >>
                  >> Andreas

                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                    Carolus

                    I would like to learn more about your "fabricated aluminum skeleton
                    roller nut".

                    Jon

                    On Nov 17, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Carolus wrote:

                    > I have used Mycrta as a replacement for ivory. I have used solid metal
                    > nuts and found them too heavy for good performance. For my combat
                    > crossbow I used a fabricated aluminum skeleton roller nut.
                    > Carolus

                  • i_griffen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                      It is possible if you was to take your wooden/delrin nut to a machinest he/she could make you one out of Steel or T6

                      Iain

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <adhazen1974@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
                      >
                      > Andreas

                    • Carolus
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                        I took two 1/4" plates and cut notches into them which I rounded to be
                        string friendly. I then turned a piece of 1-1/4" aluminum rod into an
                        hourglass shape with a 5/8" center to serve as a shaft and spacer to
                        hold the plates 1-1/4" apart. The ends of the spindle holes formed
                        recesses into which I mounted ball bearings. Opposite the notches I
                        mounted a rod with a brass tube sleeve to engage the tickler. Machined
                        brass bolts form the pivots for the bearings. It spins very freely and
                        has a soft but firm release. I ended up using a small piece of plastic
                        pipe and some epoxy putty to form a cradle for the end of a Fellwalker
                        bolt but this wouldn't be needed for tube ammo. I'll see if I can put
                        some pictures of the bow and it's parts on the list photos section.
                        Carolus

                        John Edgerton wrote:
                        > Carolus
                        >
                        > I would like to learn more about your "fabricated aluminum skeleton
                        > roller nut".
                        >
                        > Jon
                        >

                        > On Nov 17, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Carolus wrote:
                        >

                        >> I have used Mycrta as a replacement for ivory. I have used solid metal
                        >> nuts and found them too heavy for good performance. For my combat
                        >> crossbow I used a fabricated aluminum skeleton roller nut.
                        >> Carolus

                      • Drew
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                          The roller nut is part of the trigger on a crossbow.

                          Andreas

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Steven Chang <moondragn@...> wrote:

                          > Are you talking about this thing for the ILF limbs?
                          >
                          > http://www.tradtecharchery.com/Details.aspx?itemNo=3880095
                          >
                          > or Are you talking about a roller nut for a crossbow?
                          >
                          > On 11/17/09, Drew <adhazen1974@...> wrote:
                          > > Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
                          > >
                          > > Andreas

                        • Drew
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                            The crossbow that i am building will have a 150# draw weight prod on it. I'll be mainly using the crossbow for hunting.

                            As for the horn, I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure where to find a 1-1/2" dia. soild horn.

                            Andreas

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W" <jameswolfden@...> wrote:

                            > If for a crossbow, horn would be more period appropriate. The Delrin that is available on Alcheminc.com is intended to substitute for horn. You will still have to shape it yourself.
                            >
                            > If the prod is light enough, it can be done from hardwood. I have even heard of it being done as lamination.
                            >
                            > James
                            >
                            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <adhazen1974@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Does anyone know where I can get steel roller-nuts?
                            > >
                            > > Andreas

                          • James W
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                              I would stay away from steel roller nut and go with the plastic rod which you can either source locally or from alcheminc.com

                              If you want to go the horn routine, you can get a rectangular block of horn from 3riversarchery that would need to be turned. You would want to do that anyways as even a round horn might not be evenly round.

                              http://www.3riversarchery.com/Primitives+Arrow+Building++Horn+Blocks_c13_s261_p0_i6339_product.html

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <adhazen1974@...> wrote:

                              > The crossbow that i am building will have a 150# draw weight prod on it. I'll be mainly using the crossbow for hunting.
                              >
                              > As for the horn, I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure where to find a 1-1/2" dia. soild horn.
                              >
                              > Andreas

                            • John edgerton
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                                Thanks, I would love to see some pictures.

                                Jon

                                On Nov 17, 2009, at 4:10 PM, Carolus wrote:

                                > I took two 1/4" plates and cut notches into them which I rounded to be
                                > string friendly. I then turned a piece of 1-1/4" aluminum rod into an
                                > hourglass shape with a 5/8" center to serve as a shaft and spacer to
                                > hold the plates 1-1/4" apart. The ends of the spindle holes formed
                                > recesses into which I mounted ball bearings. Opposite the notches I
                                > mounted a rod with a brass tube sleeve to engage the tickler. Machined
                                > brass bolts form the pivots for the bearings. It spins very freely and
                                > has a soft but firm release. I ended up using a small piece of plastic
                                > pipe and some epoxy putty to form a cradle for the end of a Fellwalker
                                > bolt but this wouldn't be needed for tube ammo. I'll see if I can put
                                > some pictures of the bow and it's parts on the list photos section.
                                > Carolus
                                >
                                > John Edgerton wrote:
                                > > Carolus
                                > >
                                > > I would like to learn more about your "fabricated aluminum skeleton
                                > > roller nut".
                                > >
                                > > Jon
                                > >

                                > > On Nov 17, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Carolus wrote:
                                > >

                                > >> I have used Mycrta as a replacement for ivory. I have used solid
                                > metal
                                > >> nuts and found them too heavy for good performance. For my combat
                                > >> crossbow I used a fabricated aluminum skeleton roller nut.
                                > >> Carolus

                                > 11/16/09 19:53:00

                              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 17, 2009
                                  By light I would mean less than 200 lb. But that is not using wooden dowel
                                  rod material, but using a round sawn from a thick board and the notch cut
                                  from the end grain of the round and the sear in the other end grain. Oh yea
                                  do not even think about an axel for a wood nut. If it does not stay in the
                                  "nut hole" nusfaden (sp) it in.

                                  James Cunningham