Re: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
      I picked one up from woodbows.com and I am very happy with it.Or you could do like my group did up here between a few of us went to antique shops and some second hand shops... we picked up 2 long bows and 3 reserves. the most we paid was $50.00..

      Christain

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
        Bryn,

        I'm going with Wood Bows http://www.woodbows.com/ that Christain
        mentions for my 1st (in 40+ years) bow. They have some they call Rough &
        Ready, which you finish yourself, $50. to $80. Finishing should be very
        simple, and it's a cost effective way to get a bow to start with. They
        also offer a good guarantee.

        Jim F

        bryn_archer wrote:
        > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
        >
        > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of about $100. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thank you for your help,
        >
        > Bryn

      • Egil
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
          As a beginner bow I used a Internature Take down bow and had no issues with it. It is a great recurve beginner bow and can be purchased for less than 100.00.
          Check out their site:
          http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/internature-1.aspx

          Make sure to purchase arrows spined for the bow.
          Egil

        • locm@osprey.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
            Ragim also carries a good low priced recurve bow. You might check
            into them.

            Leif of Crescent Moon
            bryn_archer wrote:
            > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot
            with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with
            me, not at me :)

            > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having
            trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a
            budget of about $100. Any suggestions?

            > Thank you for your help,
            >
            > Bryn

          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
              We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
              in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
              about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
              many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
              There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
              Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
              I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
              hanging on that wall.

              Brad

              I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
              Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)

              I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
              finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
              about $100. Any suggestions?

              Thank you for your help,

              Bryn
            • colan_kynkade
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id really like to know. Colan

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                > in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                > about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                > many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                > There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                > Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                > I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                > hanging on that wall.
                >
                > Brad
                >

                > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow
                >

                > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                > Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
                >
                > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                > finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                > about $100. Any suggestions?
                >
                > Thank you for your help,
                >
                > Bryn

              • Terrance Timmons
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                  Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona

                  Terrance

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                    I know someone in Metro Phoenix that has a few light weight target bows they may be pursuaded to part with. But they are hard to make contact with.

                    Plus I have a 70# Martin Longbow I would like to sell

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Terrance Timmons" <TerryT@...> wrote:

                    > Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona
                    >
                    > Terrance
                  • bryn_archer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 13, 2009
                      Thank you for all the information. I know she's going to love it, and I look forward to shooting with you in the future.

                      Bryn
                    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 16, 2009
                        I'll look the next I'm over there. Couple of days.

                        Brad

                        Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Decent, cheap bow

                        Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id
                        really like to know. Colan

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                        > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. >
                        > Brad

                      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 23, 2009
                          North/Central Pennsylvania