Re: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow

  • Cleve Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
      My teenage son and I bought Robin Hood bows that Rask sells, and we are both very satisfied.  I have a 68" 40 lb. bow, and my son has a 58" 29 lb. bow.  I think there are a couple of other sizes.  We just got home from shooting outside, and my son missed the target, but he pierced a catapillar.  Good eatin'!

      Eadric of Grenfeld

      Cleve Johnson
      lighttrek@...
      www.books.lighttrek.com

      "Fortitudine vincimus"
      (By endurance we conquer)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
        I picked one up from woodbows.com and I am very happy with it.Or you could do like my group did up here between a few of us went to antique shops and some second hand shops... we picked up 2 long bows and 3 reserves. the most we paid was $50.00..

        Christain

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
          Bryn,

          I'm going with Wood Bows http://www.woodbows.com/ that Christain
          mentions for my 1st (in 40+ years) bow. They have some they call Rough &
          Ready, which you finish yourself, $50. to $80. Finishing should be very
          simple, and it's a cost effective way to get a bow to start with. They
          also offer a good guarantee.

          Jim F

          bryn_archer wrote:
          > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
          >
          > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of about $100. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Thank you for your help,
          >
          > Bryn

        • Egil
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
            As a beginner bow I used a Internature Take down bow and had no issues with it. It is a great recurve beginner bow and can be purchased for less than 100.00.
            Check out their site:
            http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/internature-1.aspx

            Make sure to purchase arrows spined for the bow.
            Egil

          • locm@osprey.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
              Ragim also carries a good low priced recurve bow. You might check
              into them.

              Leif of Crescent Moon
              bryn_archer wrote:
              > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot
              with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with
              me, not at me :)

              > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having
              trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a
              budget of about $100. Any suggestions?

              > Thank you for your help,
              >
              > Bryn

            • Brad Boda d'Aylward
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                hanging on that wall.

                Brad

                I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)

                I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                about $100. Any suggestions?

                Thank you for your help,

                Bryn
              • colan_kynkade
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                  Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id really like to know. Colan

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                  > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                  > in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                  > about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                  > many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                  > There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                  > Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                  > I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                  > hanging on that wall.
                  >
                  > Brad
                  >

                  > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow
                  >

                  > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                  > Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
                  >
                  > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                  > finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                  > about $100. Any suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thank you for your help,
                  >
                  > Bryn

                • Terrance Timmons
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                    Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona

                    Terrance

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                      I know someone in Metro Phoenix that has a few light weight target bows they may be pursuaded to part with. But they are hard to make contact with.

                      Plus I have a 70# Martin Longbow I would like to sell

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Terrance Timmons" <TerryT@...> wrote:

                      > Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona
                      >
                      > Terrance
                    • bryn_archer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 13, 2009
                        Thank you for all the information. I know she's going to love it, and I look forward to shooting with you in the future.

                        Bryn
                      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 16, 2009
                          I'll look the next I'm over there. Couple of days.

                          Brad

                          Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Decent, cheap bow

                          Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id
                          really like to know. Colan

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                          > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. >
                          > Brad

                        • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 23, 2009
                            North/Central Pennsylvania