Re: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow

  • Dayrl Merrill
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
      I have some possibilities

      Rask Ulfbjorn
      Viking Archery Supply
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: bryn_archer
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 5:17 PM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow

      I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)

      I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of about $100. Any suggestions?

      Thank you for your help,

      Bryn

    • Cleve Johnson
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
        My teenage son and I bought Robin Hood bows that Rask sells, and we are both very satisfied.  I have a 68" 40 lb. bow, and my son has a 58" 29 lb. bow.  I think there are a couple of other sizes.  We just got home from shooting outside, and my son missed the target, but he pierced a catapillar.  Good eatin'!

        Eadric of Grenfeld

        Cleve Johnson
        lighttrek@...
        www.books.lighttrek.com

        "Fortitudine vincimus"
        (By endurance we conquer)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
          I picked one up from woodbows.com and I am very happy with it.Or you could do like my group did up here between a few of us went to antique shops and some second hand shops... we picked up 2 long bows and 3 reserves. the most we paid was $50.00..

          Christain

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
            Bryn,

            I'm going with Wood Bows http://www.woodbows.com/ that Christain
            mentions for my 1st (in 40+ years) bow. They have some they call Rough &
            Ready, which you finish yourself, $50. to $80. Finishing should be very
            simple, and it's a cost effective way to get a bow to start with. They
            also offer a good guarantee.

            Jim F

            bryn_archer wrote:
            > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
            >
            > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of about $100. Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thank you for your help,
            >
            > Bryn

          • Egil
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
              As a beginner bow I used a Internature Take down bow and had no issues with it. It is a great recurve beginner bow and can be purchased for less than 100.00.
              Check out their site:
              http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/internature-1.aspx

              Make sure to purchase arrows spined for the bow.
              Egil

            • locm@osprey.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
                Ragim also carries a good low priced recurve bow. You might check
                into them.

                Leif of Crescent Moon
                bryn_archer wrote:
                > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot
                with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with
                me, not at me :)

                > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having
                trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a
                budget of about $100. Any suggestions?

                > Thank you for your help,
                >
                > Bryn

              • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                  We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                  in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                  about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                  many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                  There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                  Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                  I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                  hanging on that wall.

                  Brad

                  I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                  Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)

                  I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                  finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                  about $100. Any suggestions?

                  Thank you for your help,

                  Bryn
                • colan_kynkade
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                    Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id really like to know. Colan

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                    > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                    > in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                    > about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                    > many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                    > There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                    > Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                    > I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                    > hanging on that wall.
                    >
                    > Brad
                    >

                    > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow
                    >

                    > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                    > Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
                    >
                    > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                    > finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                    > about $100. Any suggestions?
                    >
                    > Thank you for your help,
                    >
                    > Bryn

                  • Terrance Timmons
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                      Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona

                      Terrance

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                        I know someone in Metro Phoenix that has a few light weight target bows they may be pursuaded to part with. But they are hard to make contact with.

                        Plus I have a 70# Martin Longbow I would like to sell

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Terrance Timmons" <TerryT@...> wrote:

                        > Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona
                        >
                        > Terrance
                      • bryn_archer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 13, 2009
                          Thank you for all the information. I know she's going to love it, and I look forward to shooting with you in the future.

                          Bryn
                        • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 16, 2009
                            I'll look the next I'm over there. Couple of days.

                            Brad

                            Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Decent, cheap bow

                            Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id
                            really like to know. Colan

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                            > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. >
                            > Brad

                          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 23, 2009
                              North/Central Pennsylvania