RE: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow

  • Dan Scheid
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
      I have a 41# hoyt expert I can sell for 100

      Damales (in southern ca)

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
        I have some possibilities

        Rask Ulfbjorn
        Viking Archery Supply

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
          My teenage son and I bought Robin Hood bows that Rask sells, and we are both very satisfied.  I have a 68" 40 lb. bow, and my son has a 58" 29 lb. bow.  I think there are a couple of other sizes.  We just got home from shooting outside, and my son missed the target, but he pierced a catapillar.  Good eatin'!

          Eadric of Grenfeld

          Cleve Johnson
          lighttrek@...
          www.books.lighttrek.com

          "Fortitudine vincimus"
          (By endurance we conquer)

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
            I picked one up from woodbows.com and I am very happy with it.Or you could do like my group did up here between a few of us went to antique shops and some second hand shops... we picked up 2 long bows and 3 reserves. the most we paid was $50.00..

            Christain

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
              Bryn,

              I'm going with Wood Bows http://www.woodbows.com/ that Christain
              mentions for my 1st (in 40+ years) bow. They have some they call Rough &
              Ready, which you finish yourself, $50. to $80. Finishing should be very
              simple, and it's a cost effective way to get a bow to start with. They
              also offer a good guarantee.

              Jim F

              bryn_archer wrote:
              > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
              >
              > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of about $100. Any suggestions?
              >
              > Thank you for your help,
              >
              > Bryn

            • Egil
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
                As a beginner bow I used a Internature Take down bow and had no issues with it. It is a great recurve beginner bow and can be purchased for less than 100.00.
                Check out their site:
                http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/internature-1.aspx

                Make sure to purchase arrows spined for the bow.
                Egil

              • locm@osprey.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
                  Ragim also carries a good low priced recurve bow. You might check
                  into them.

                  Leif of Crescent Moon
                  bryn_archer wrote:
                  > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot
                  with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with
                  me, not at me :)

                  > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having
                  trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a
                  budget of about $100. Any suggestions?

                  > Thank you for your help,
                  >
                  > Bryn

                • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                    We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                    in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                    about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                    many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                    There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                    Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                    I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                    hanging on that wall.

                    Brad

                    I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                    Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)

                    I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                    finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                    about $100. Any suggestions?

                    Thank you for your help,

                    Bryn
                  • colan_kynkade
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                      Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id really like to know. Colan

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                      > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                      > in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                      > about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                      > many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                      > There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                      > Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                      > I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                      > hanging on that wall.
                      >
                      > Brad
                      >

                      > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow
                      >

                      > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                      > Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
                      >
                      > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                      > finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                      > about $100. Any suggestions?
                      >
                      > Thank you for your help,
                      >
                      > Bryn

                    • Terrance Timmons
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                        Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona

                        Terrance

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                          I know someone in Metro Phoenix that has a few light weight target bows they may be pursuaded to part with. But they are hard to make contact with.

                          Plus I have a 70# Martin Longbow I would like to sell

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Terrance Timmons" <TerryT@...> wrote:

                          > Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona
                          >
                          > Terrance
                        • bryn_archer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 13, 2009
                            Thank you for all the information. I know she's going to love it, and I look forward to shooting with you in the future.

                            Bryn
                          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 16, 2009
                              I'll look the next I'm over there. Couple of days.

                              Brad

                              Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Decent, cheap bow

                              Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id
                              really like to know. Colan

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                              > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. >
                              > Brad

                            • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 23, 2009
                                North/Central Pennsylvania