Decent, cheap bow

  • bryn_archer
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
      I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)

      I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of about $100. Any suggestions?

      Thank you for your help,

      Bryn
    • Dan Scheid
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
        I have a 41# hoyt expert I can sell for 100

        Damales (in southern ca)

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
          I have some possibilities

          Rask Ulfbjorn
          Viking Archery Supply

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
            My teenage son and I bought Robin Hood bows that Rask sells, and we are both very satisfied.  I have a 68" 40 lb. bow, and my son has a 58" 29 lb. bow.  I think there are a couple of other sizes.  We just got home from shooting outside, and my son missed the target, but he pierced a catapillar.  Good eatin'!

            Eadric of Grenfeld

            Cleve Johnson
            lighttrek@...
            www.books.lighttrek.com

            "Fortitudine vincimus"
            (By endurance we conquer)

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
              I picked one up from woodbows.com and I am very happy with it.Or you could do like my group did up here between a few of us went to antique shops and some second hand shops... we picked up 2 long bows and 3 reserves. the most we paid was $50.00..

              Christain

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
                Bryn,

                I'm going with Wood Bows http://www.woodbows.com/ that Christain
                mentions for my 1st (in 40+ years) bow. They have some they call Rough &
                Ready, which you finish yourself, $50. to $80. Finishing should be very
                simple, and it's a cost effective way to get a bow to start with. They
                also offer a good guarantee.

                Jim F

                bryn_archer wrote:
                > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
                >
                > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of about $100. Any suggestions?
                >
                > Thank you for your help,
                >
                > Bryn

              • Egil
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
                  As a beginner bow I used a Internature Take down bow and had no issues with it. It is a great recurve beginner bow and can be purchased for less than 100.00.
                  Check out their site:
                  http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/internature-1.aspx

                  Make sure to purchase arrows spined for the bow.
                  Egil

                • locm@osprey.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
                    Ragim also carries a good low priced recurve bow. You might check
                    into them.

                    Leif of Crescent Moon
                    bryn_archer wrote:
                    > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot
                    with me. Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with
                    me, not at me :)

                    > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having
                    trouble finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a
                    budget of about $100. Any suggestions?

                    > Thank you for your help,
                    >
                    > Bryn

                  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                      We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                      in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                      about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                      many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                      There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                      Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                      I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                      hanging on that wall.

                      Brad

                      I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                      Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)

                      I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                      finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                      about $100. Any suggestions?

                      Thank you for your help,

                      Bryn
                    • colan_kynkade
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                        Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id really like to know. Colan

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                        > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. Bear in mind that
                        > in Penna that anything over 45lbs is considered a hunting bow and the price
                        > about doubles over the lower poundage bows. This is a state which closes
                        > many buisnesses and some schools for the first day of hunting season.
                        > There's a good chance that there are two or three bows hanging there now.
                        > Just know what to look for re: inspection or take a marshal along with you.
                        > I've seen some badly twisted bows which would not pass SCA inspections
                        > hanging on that wall.
                        >
                        > Brad
                        >

                        > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Decent, cheap bow
                        >

                        > I have a good/bad problem. My older sister has started to shoot with me.
                        > Bad: She keeps stealing my bow. Good: She's shooting with me, not at me :)
                        >
                        > I'd like to get her a bow of her own for Christmas, but I'm having trouble
                        > finding a one. I'd like to get her a 35 lb. recurve. I have a budget of
                        > about $100. Any suggestions?
                        >
                        > Thank you for your help,
                        >
                        > Bryn

                      • Terrance Timmons
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                          Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona

                          Terrance

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                            I know someone in Metro Phoenix that has a few light weight target bows they may be pursuaded to part with. But they are hard to make contact with.

                            Plus I have a 70# Martin Longbow I would like to sell

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Terrance Timmons" <TerryT@...> wrote:

                            > Were are you located? I have some people who are looking for some good used bows. I am in Atenveldt/Arizona
                            >
                            > Terrance
                          • bryn_archer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 13, 2009
                              Thank you for all the information. I know she's going to love it, and I look forward to shooting with you in the future.

                              Bryn
                            • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 16, 2009
                                I'll look the next I'm over there. Couple of days.

                                Brad

                                Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Decent, cheap bow

                                Does your area have any 55lb or higher left hand recurves per chance? Id
                                really like to know. Colan

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                                > We have a 'Used Mart' locally which handles used recurves. >
                                > Brad

                              • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 23, 2009
                                  North/Central Pennsylvania