archery rules question

  • Eva
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
      Can you wear glasses when you competition shoot?
      thanks,
      eva
    • Cetach Fitzgibbon
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
        I've won several competitions and no one has ever asked me to remove my
        glasses.

        Cetach Fitzgibbon
        That Damned Archer - Aethelmearc

        Can you wear glasses when you competition shoot?
        thanks,
        eva

      • J C Ronsen
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
          On Oct 28, 2009, Eva <evahelenavettori@...> wrote:

          Can you wear glasses when you competition shoot?
          thanks,
          eva

          I will assume that you mean normal eyeglasses to correct bad vision. Yes. In fact marshals will insist that you wear them, particularly if you can't see without them. You can also wear sunglasses and safety glasses, if you need them.

          Caleb Reynolds
          9th Baron of the Rhydderich Hael
          Regional Archery Marshal for the Kingdom of AEthelmearc
        • Chris

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009
              In some Medieval Re-enactment/Recreation groups, there are tougher rules on period authencity and nothing modern can be worn. In those groups, you either wear contacts or use the force, luke.

              I did try to wear contacts at one time in my life but I found them very irritating and my eyes never adjusted. If contacts are not a problem, then please consider them but the SCA does not require such period authencity.

              Glasses are period. The first ones in period were rivet frames and were balanced on the nose. They were mainly used for close-up work. Period glasses would not have been suitable for the archery range though. The use of frame with arms to hook onto the ears was done post-period.

              In Service,
              James Wolfden