Re: [SCA-Archery] GWW range marshals

  • Jessica E Baas
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
      I agree with Carolus.

      We only authorize separately for handbow and crossbow. While the individual handbows have differences, the basic form is the same, no reason to authorize by weight. We also wouldn't want to put that much in the RMs bag (you're safe to use a 35lb bow, but not a 40lb bow - seems like a lot of subjective judgement there!).

      Christina

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
        of course it is not seperate for a 30 to 32, but more than 10 lbs difference, If I remember the relevant passage correctly

        Terrance of Granite Mountain
        Atenveldt

        PS it is good form to state where you are from so we know what the standards are in that area. as it this a Society wide group, at least list kingdom so we know "where" you are talking about

        ICE TIGER wrote:
        > Each bow weight? Isn't that a bit excessive? I mean fine, a person might shake a bit with a heavier bow but unless it is really severe that doesn't constitute dangerous, just inaccurate. It just generates extra paperwork. Personally I don't really see the need for authorizations but then I shoot on mundane compound lines as well and there is no authorizations or demonstration of skill required so I guess I 'm just used to it that way.

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
          Thank you for the information.

          Will the novelty shots for Sunday be in the gate book so archers will
          know they are taking place?

          I thought there would be time after the Grandmasters on Saturday
          because the GWW web site archery schedule does not show anything on
          the range after 12:00 and the notes say 9:00 to 12:00 for the
          tournament. This could cause problems for any archers that might
          make commitments for after 12:00, because they thought the tournament
          ended at noon.

          Jon

          On Sep 30, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Jessica E Baas wrote:

          > There are numerous novelties planned for Sunday morning. A balloon
          > shoot, and two others called "Horse Archery" and "Follow Me" which
          > I don't have full descriptions for. All have been promised to be
          > lots of fun.
          >
          > There is not normally anything scheduled after the tournament on
          > Saturday. It typically ends around 3pm and the range closes for the
          > day at 4pm. By that time normally people are tired and want to get
          > ready for Saturday nights activities. We will have a number of
          > spare novelty targets around if there are range marshals who are
          > still motivated to be on the range. 8-9 Royal Rounds can be quite
          > trying. :)
          >
          > Christina
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Jessica E Baas
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
            The schedule should have said 9am - 3pm, that's what I sent in. It's double elimination, so very few people will be in the later rounds. The website was supposed to be updated with revised information for both Sunday morning and Friday afternoon. Both times have novelties scheduled. I'll remind the webwrite to upload the revised information.

            Christina

            ________________________________
            Will the novelty shots for Sunday be in the gate book so archers will
            know they are taking place?

            I thought there would be time after the Grandmasters on Saturday
            because the GWW web site archery schedule does not show anything on
            the range after 12:00 and the notes say 9:00 to 12:00 for the
            tournament. This could cause problems for any archers that might
            make commitments for after 12:00, because they thought the tournament
            ended at noon.

            Jon

            On Sep 30, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Jessica E Baas wrote:

            > There are numerous novelties planned for Sunday morning. A balloon
            > shoot, and two others called "Horse Archery" and "Follow Me" which
            > I don't have full descriptions for. All have been promised to be
            > lots of fun.
            >
            > There is not normally anything scheduled after the tournament on
            > Saturday. It typically ends around 3pm and the range closes for the
            > day at 4pm. By that time normally people are tired and want to get
            > ready for Saturday nights activities. We will have a number of
            > spare novelty targets around if there are range marshals who are
            > still motivated to be on the range. 8-9 Royal Rounds can be quite
            > trying. :)
            >
            > Christina
            >
            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Lee Reynolds
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
              Terrance,

              I have to agree that it sounds like a way to generate more paperwork
              and drive away prospective archers. I'm sure that's not the intent,
              but that is the way it feels.

              So, as to authorization.. When is target archery practice, where a
              beginning archer (me) might seek help with my equipment, and obtain
              authorization? I've not seen anything about it in the Adenveldt
              Tournaments Illuminated.. What of the Baronial championship the end of
              this month? How long will it take to authorize to shoot that? From
              what I've read of the current adenvelt's marshalls handbook, I don't
              remember seeing anything in there about authorizations, or weights, or
              weigh limits. Could you point me to online or local resources so I
              can participate in Baronials and later for Estrella?

              Thanks!
              Lee
              Adenveldt

            • Terrance Timmons
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
                Here is a link to Atenveldts TA rules. Like I said, there is no additional paperwork. the archer just proves to an authorizing marshall that they can use it safely for themselves and others, and he puts it on their autho card.

                http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=EB1tSfvBJ-0%3d&tabid=82&mid=1396

                What area are you in? Im in the Shire of Granite Mountain (prescott area). there is archery in PHX every Fri night and Every Sunday Morning, baring conflicting events. I have practiced with the Barony of Sun Dragon, nice site. Dont know Where the Barony of Atenveldt practices though. contact the Archery Captain for your local group, or go to the Groups web site for more info.

              • Mike Boultinghouse
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
                  My Lords and Ladies,

                  I feal I must add something else to the problems at hand.  I'm Michael of Boulton from the Northern land area of Caid, the Barony of Nordwache.  I'm not only a Archery Senior Range Marshal, but also a Thrown Weapons Senior Range Marshal and any one wanting to compete in the TW's events at GWW, must also become authorized.  Something more to think about.

                  In service,

                  Michael of Boulton

                    I have to agree that it sounds like a way to generate more paperwork
                    and drive away prospective archers. I'm sure that's not the intent,
                    but that is the way it feels.

                    So, as to authorization.. When is target archery practice, where a
                    beginning archer (me) might seek help with my equipment, and obtain
                    authorization? I've not seen anything about it in the Adenveldt
                    Tournaments Illuminated.. What of the Baronial championship the end of
                    this month? How long will it take to authorize to shoot that? From
                    what I've read of the current adenvelt's marshalls handbook, I don't
                    remember seeing anything in there about authorizations, or weights, or
                    weigh limits. Could you point me to online or local resources so I
                    can participate in Baronials and later for Estrella?

                    Thanks!
                    Lee
                    Adenveldt

                    On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Terrance Timmons <TerryT@...> wrote:
                    > We are in the process of refining the rules, again, so it might change, but that is our standard at this time.  no extra paperwork, it is noted on the back of the autho card, nothing submitted to kingdom.
                    >
                    > As to marshals, yes what you say is correct, but a new person needs a little more attention than a more experienced person, if you are marshalling correctly.  hopefully there are enough marshalls to do some one on one with the new person, or 1 marshall to 2-3 new people.  so I think what he was meaning (correct me if im wrong) is basically what you are stating, just in different terms.  Most lines only have 1-2 marshals, as the others want to shoot as well.
                    >
                    > Terrance of Granite Mountain
                    > Atenveldt

                • Starr
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 30, 2009
                    Greetings to all on the List,

                    Lee,

                    Both The Baronies of Atenveldt and Sun Dragon are held at the same park at
                    the same time. We simple trade off each month as to who is holding the
                    monthly tourney.

                    We do have a Sun Dragon Yahoo Archery List as well. You are most welcome to
                    join us on that list. I've not found one for Atenveldt as of yet.

                    Terrance is correct on the other issue.

                    Barony of Sun Dragon Crossbowmen

                    Starr

                    Viking in training, still learning which end of the crossbow bolt points at
                    the target.

                    Here is a link to Atenveldts TA rules. Like I said, there is no additional
                    paperwork. the archer just proves to an authorizing marshall that they can
                    use it safely for themselves and others, and he puts it on their autho card.

                    http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=EB1tSfvBJ-0%3d
                    <http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=EB1tSfvBJ-0%3d&tabid=82&
                    mid=1396> &tabid=82&mid=1396