Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Arrow Points

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
      I have used small wire brads as rivets to pin the field tips on my
      bolts. It has also worked well for me.

      Jon, West

      On Sep 11, 2009, at 1:38 PM, zipper51em wrote:

      > ---
      > >Greetings to the list! I too encountered loosing points. I
      > purchased 11/32 100gr brass points from "The Longbow Shop"
      > in England. They are not as long as the standard steel field point.
      > Less surface for the glue to adhere to.
      > Roughing the inside of the points and the wood taper did not help.
      > Even a small groove cut on the wood taper for the air to escape
      > failed.
      > My solution was period. I glued and pined the points on using
      > copper wire for pins. I needed to chamfer (bevel) the hole on the
      > point so when I hammered the pin flush it created a small rivet
      > head. So far so good. Points still on. Also works on steel field
      > points and medieval style socket points.
      > Omelan

    • Terrance Timmons
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
        Can we prevail on those who have done this to provide some pictures of the finished product?

        Terrance
        Atenveldt
        . I have used small wire brads as rivets to pin the field tips on my
        bolts. It has also worked well for me.

        Jon, West

        On Sep 11, 2009, at 1:38 PM, zipper51em wrote:

        > ---
        > >Greetings to the list! I too encountered loosing points. I
        > purchased 11/32 100gr brass points from "The Longbow Shop"
        > in England. They are not as long as the standard steel field point.
        > Less surface for the glue to adhere to.
        > Roughing the inside of the points and the wood taper did not help.
        > Even a small groove cut on the wood taper for the air to escape
        > failed.
        > My solution was period. I glued and pined the points on using
        > copper wire for pins. I needed to chamfer (bevel) the hole on the
        > point so when I hammered the pin flush it created a small rivet
        > head. So far so good. Points still on. Also works on steel field
        > points and medieval style socket points.
        > Omelan

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
          Photos at:

          list

          I filed the sides of the brad head to make it less like a brad and to
          provide less resistance when pulling from a target.

          Jon