Re: [SCA-Archery] Arrow Points

  • Cleve Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
      I made half a dozen medieval style arrows with the long bodkins that 3Rivers sells.  I don't use them when shooting inside or at targets, but I use them outside for distance shooting.  They are heavier and give me more distance.  I bought them more for novelty than anything.  I use the steel field points for target shooting.

      Eadric of Grenfeld (Barony of Sternfeld, Middle Kingdom)

      Cleve Johnson
      lighttrek@...
      www.books.lighttrek.com

      "Fortitudine vincimus"
      (By endurance we conquer)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
        While the standard is the field tips I have used arrows with all three of the points you mention from 3Rivers. The ACE points work the best as they match point weight to arrow weight the best. None of these points are any rougher on a target face than field tips. However the ACE points do not match up to the shaft as cleanly as a field tip. Thus is you are shooting at a new Saunders mat, the center of which is exceedingly tight, you stand a much better chance of losing points in the butt. Also, if you hit anything hard with the ACE points, that nice sharp, long point tends to get bent over a bit. A little work with a file and you're good to go. I typically use my arrows with these points for demos not regular shooting.

        I also have used the brass points. More expensive yes, but they look really cool. I prefer the screw ons but use a drop of fletch tight on the tip to seat the point. If I break an arrow I just heat the tip over an open flame and the glue loosens up so I can remove the point and reuse it. I have also found that the brass bullet tips tend to go through arrow netting much easier than standard field tips.

        cog

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lee Reynolds <llyran@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I want to make up a set of arrows, but I'm not clear what usually
        > qualifies for most tournaments. Most of the Archery handbooks
        > describe field or target points. Something that won't damage the
        > target too much.
        >
        > 3 Rivers archery (www.3riversarchery.com) lists three types of arrow
        > points under their SCA/Midieval equipment.. short and long bodkins and
        > ace classic points. Are any of these normally excluded from
        > competition? Any recommendations from any Marshall types? I hale
        > from Attenveldt,, and probably won't shoot outside of there much.
        >

        > Thanks in advance!
        > Lee Reynolds

      • Steven Chang
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
          I love to use the brass tips because I keep my arrows in the car
          sometimes and the summer sun will melt the glue off my tips. In
          general I don't glue the tips just screw them in. The only time they
          have ever come off is if someone else is pulling my arrows and starts
          twisting them so my points unscrew in the target. But I do screw them
          on really tight so they are really on there.

          On 9/11/09, houseofgrey <cogworks@...> wrote:
          > I also have used the brass points. More expensive yes, but they look really
          > cool. I prefer the screw ons but use a drop of fletch tight on the tip to
          > seat the point. If I break an arrow I just heat the tip over an open flame
          > and the glue loosens up so I can remove the point and reuse it. I have also
          > found that the brass bullet tips tend to go through arrow netting much
          > easier than standard field tips.
          >
          > cog
        • zipper51em
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
            ---
            >Greetings to the list! I too encountered loosing points. I purchased 11/32 100gr brass points from "The Longbow Shop"
            in England. They are not as long as the standard steel field point. Less surface for the glue to adhere to.
            Roughing the inside of the points and the wood taper did not help. Even a small groove cut on the wood taper for the air to escape failed.
            My solution was period. I glued and pined the points on using copper wire for pins. I needed to chamfer (bevel) the hole on the point so when I hammered the pin flush it created a small rivet head. So far so good. Points still on. Also works on steel field points and medieval style socket points.
            Omelan
          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
              I have used small wire brads as rivets to pin the field tips on my
              bolts. It has also worked well for me.

              Jon, West

              On Sep 11, 2009, at 1:38 PM, zipper51em wrote:

              > ---
              > >Greetings to the list! I too encountered loosing points. I
              > purchased 11/32 100gr brass points from "The Longbow Shop"
              > in England. They are not as long as the standard steel field point.
              > Less surface for the glue to adhere to.
              > Roughing the inside of the points and the wood taper did not help.
              > Even a small groove cut on the wood taper for the air to escape
              > failed.
              > My solution was period. I glued and pined the points on using
              > copper wire for pins. I needed to chamfer (bevel) the hole on the
              > point so when I hammered the pin flush it created a small rivet
              > head. So far so good. Points still on. Also works on steel field
              > points and medieval style socket points.
              > Omelan

            • Terrance Timmons
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
                Can we prevail on those who have done this to provide some pictures of the finished product?

                Terrance
                Atenveldt
                . I have used small wire brads as rivets to pin the field tips on my
                bolts. It has also worked well for me.

                Jon, West

                On Sep 11, 2009, at 1:38 PM, zipper51em wrote:

                > ---
                > >Greetings to the list! I too encountered loosing points. I
                > purchased 11/32 100gr brass points from "The Longbow Shop"
                > in England. They are not as long as the standard steel field point.
                > Less surface for the glue to adhere to.
                > Roughing the inside of the points and the wood taper did not help.
                > Even a small groove cut on the wood taper for the air to escape
                > failed.
                > My solution was period. I glued and pined the points on using
                > copper wire for pins. I needed to chamfer (bevel) the hole on the
                > point so when I hammered the pin flush it created a small rivet
                > head. So far so good. Points still on. Also works on steel field
                > points and medieval style socket points.
                > Omelan

              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
                  Photos at:

                  list

                  I filed the sides of the brad head to make it less like a brad and to
                  provide less resistance when pulling from a target.

                  Jon