Re: [SCA-Archery] Great Western War

  • Jessica E Baas
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 8, 2009
      The following is the current target archery schedule for GWW. More information will be posted on the GWW website as it comes in. This should have been posted already, the webwrite has had it for more than a month now! Hopefully it will appear there soon!

      Wednesday - Range setup, no official activities scheduled
      Thursday
      - Level 1 Archery Instructors Course (see description below), there
      will be limited open shooting available during this time.
      Thursday Eve - Clout in the Dark (host TBD, may be moved to Friday)
      Friday AM - The Barony of Nordwache will host two novelty shoots, the Viking Ship and the Castle Wall
      Friday PM - The Barony of Gyldenholt will host novelties
      Saturday
      - GWW Archery Championship Tourney, open shooting may be available after
      completion of the tournament, pending Range Marshal availability.
      Sunday AM - The Barony of Lyondemere will host novelties

      Descriptions:

      Level 1 Archery Instructors Course - This is a national certification course that trains coaches. Completing this 8 hour course will enable
      participants to coach in multiple forms of archery at the beginner
      level. This course has a class fee to cover certification and
      materials. This class requires pre-registration and instructor
      approval. Class limit (pending response from coaches, between 8 - 16).
      Participants should be Senior Range Marshals, Range Marshals or Range
      Marshals in Training actively pursuing their warrant. Check-in will
      begin at 8:00am and the class will go through 5:30pm with a one hour
      lunch break. Attendees should bring archery equipment. Please contact
      the archery steward for GWW (Christina) for more information or to enroll for the
      class.

      Clout in the Dark - Pending an official host, we will be having our night time clout
      shoot again! Starting at 30 minutes after sunset, the archers will take
      to the field and launch "flaming" arrows (using glow sticks)
      towards at a target at approximately 120 yards. All are welcome to
      participate, you must be authorized ahead of time. Please bring
      flashlights, electric lanterns, etc. This is a very challenging (but
      very fun!) shoot and will require lots of walking over uneven, poorly
      lit ground to recover arrows. Please be prepared by wearing durable
      closed toe shoes.

      GWW Archery Championship Tourney - The Grand Master archers of Caid invite all archers to participate in
      the annual Championship Tourney (formerly the Grand Masters Tourney)! This
      is an endurance trial for all archers who wish to brave it. The GWW
      Archery Champions Tourney is a double elimination Royal Round format.
      Lists will be available during previous days and closing at 8:45 Saturday morning. Challenges for the first round will begin promptly at 9am.

      Special Notice about Target Archery Authorizations - Caid has an authorization process for all archers in the Kingdom. You
      must be authorized in Caid in order to participate in tournaments. We will be offering single event authorizations for GWW specifically for our visitors from other Kingdoms. We are doing this to ensure that as many archers as possible will be
      able to participate in the festivities on the target range at GWW. If
      you are a visiting Range Marshal, please bring proof of warrant. We
      will be conducting authorizations on both Thursday and Friday, Range
      Marshal availability pending. No authorizations will be available prior
      to the tournament on Saturday. The most recent version of the Archers Handbook can be found here: http://marshal.sca-caid.org/pubs.php

      The single event authorization will be similar to a reauthorization for
      archers already authorized in Caid, three spoken questions, closed
      book, pertaining to safety and will include a practical element.

      Christina

      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 7, 2012

        It was awesome!
        Thanks for the chance to expand our archery family. Surviving this heat made us stronger. Lol
        We are having fun in Caid. It was fun shooting with so many new friends. The moving target was a blast. Ingenious, too.

        I slept thru the coon fry that lit up the pavilion like it was noon. Charred and smoking, it fell from the night sky. I feel a song coming on... Nope. Just a yawn.
        Caterina Fortuna and Dmitrii Luchnikov
        AnTir