Arrows for period shoot

  • duncan_of_carmarthen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30 9:54 PM
      Greetings, I'm in the Ansteorra area, and am looking for some arrows that will satisfy the requirements for period shoots. These will also serve as a basis for me to get an idea of what the arrows I plan to make in the future should be like (as far as requirements go)
      Any leads to websites or any local merchants on this forum would be awesome.
      thanks
      Duncan_newbie
    • ld.blackmoon
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30 11:37 PM
        greetings

        welcome , what part of ansteorra ?

        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
        Arthur

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31 7:34 AM
          I'm in Wiesenfeuer (Yukon, OK actually)
          Right now, the arrows I'm using pass local armor inspection, (wood, target points, plastic feather-style vanes), but I'd like to get more into the fancier fletchings and ultimately making my own arrows, as well as my own bow (babysteps first!)
          ---- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

          > greetings
          >
          > welcome , what part of ansteorra ?
          >
          > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
          > Arthur

        • ld.blackmoon
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 31 9:32 AM
            greetings

            you might want to speak with his excellency elric , or hl thomas quilliam, or even the local missile marshal ian mac ewen , to see who in your area is currently building period arrows , or perhaps they could teach you to build them : )
            i know that there are several people in northkeep that make both period and open division style arrows , and would be happy to help you learn to build them as well , but ask around , i'm sure wiesenfeuer has several people as well = )
            another option would be to go to events with archery and ask around, many archers in ansteorra make their own arrows, and some make their bows , and quivers, etc as well.
            hope that helps.
            Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
            Arthur
            Right now, the arrows I'm using pass local armor inspection, (wood, target points, plastic feather-style vanes), but I'd like to get more into the fancier fletchings and ultimately making my own arrows, as well as my own bow (babysteps first!)
            ---- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

            > greetings
            >
            > welcome , what part of ansteorra ?
            >
            > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
            > Arthur

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31 9:45 AM
              Interesting that they passed inspection, since the SCA target archery
              rules require feather fletching.

              "4. Fletched arrows and bolts shall have feathers or other pre-17th
              century material. Plastic vanes are
              not allowed."

              I am glad that you were able to shoot and are now looking for more
              period arrows.

              Jon

              On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:34 AM, duncan_of_carmarthen wrote:

              > I'm in Wiesenfeuer (Yukon, OK actually)
              > Right now, the arrows I'm using pass local armor inspection, (wood,
              > target points, plastic feather-style vanes), but I'd like to get
              > more into the fancier fletchings and ultimately making my own
              > arrows, as well as my own bow (babysteps first!)

            • Eadric Anstapa
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31 9:51 AM
                I am sure they just passed a "safety inspection" and made an exception
                (allowed by the rules) since he is a newbie and let him use them for
                _*practice*_.

                Of course plastic vanes should not be allowed for competition, or
                submitting RR or IKAC scores.

                -EA

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31 9:53 AM
                  greetings

                  i believe the local marshal lets newbies learn , and practice with non sca legal arrows untill they can get propper gear , he just doesn't turn in scores for them , this allows newbies with higher poundage bows to participate and practice since most loaner arrows are in the lower poundage range.
                  Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                  Arthur
                  Interesting that they passed inspection, since the SCA target archery
                  rules require feather fletching.

                  "4. Fletched arrows and bolts shall have feathers or other pre-17th
                  century material. Plastic vanes are
                  not allowed."

                  I am glad that you were able to shoot and are now looking for more
                  period arrows.

                  Jon

                  On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:34 AM, duncan_of_carmarthen wrote:

                  > I'm in Wiesenfeuer (Yukon, OK actually)
                  > Right now, the arrows I'm using pass local armor inspection, (wood,
                  > target points, plastic feather-style vanes), but I'd like to get
                  > more into the fancier fletchings and ultimately making my own
                  > arrows, as well as my own bow (babysteps first!)

                • iamanirishrose
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31 9:56 AM
                    How many times have these arrows been used in SCA competition? At my first competition, I had nothing but carbon arrows I'd bought a couple of weeks prior & was allowed to shoot. I'm sure, though, had it been a RR or such, that my score would've done nothing for rank because they were carbon/vane instead of wood/feather.
                    Eibhlin

                  • kburgess1@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31 2:56 PM
                      what are the requirements for period shoots down there ?

                      wood arrows , hand tied goose feathers , self nocs , bodkin points ??

                      long bow only ? no arrow rest ?

                      just working on what you need....

                      bran
                      Right now, the arrows I'm using pass local armor inspection, (wood, target points, plastic feather-style vanes), but I'd like to get more into the fancier fletchings and ultimately making my own arrows, as well as my own bow (babysteps first!)
                      ---- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com , "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

                      > greetings
                      >
                      > welcome , what part of ansteorra ?
                      >
                      > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                      > Arthur

                    • Harry Billings
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 31 5:24 PM
                        wood shafts, feather fletch, self nocs; bows can not have a cut in rest.

                        plachoya
                        Ansteorra

                        what are the requirements for period shoots down there ?

                        wood arrows , hand tied goose feathers , self nocs , bodkin points ??

                        long bow only ? no arrow rest ?

                        just working on what you need....

                        bran

                        Recent Activity