longbow do's/don'ts for a newbie?

  • aelric_southlake
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2009
      Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by Sir Jon of West Kingdom.

      Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close. Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt), and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow magnet) only.

      That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has spurred me to get involved.

      Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them can tell you that..." Good point.

      I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line vendors, that'd be good to know too.

      Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology...

      Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
      thanks,
      Aelric
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2009
        Welcome to the group. Some one here should be able to provide you
        with the information you need.

        Jon

        On Aug 15, 2009, at 5:00 PM, aelric_southlake wrote:

        > Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by
        > Sir Jon of West Kingdom.
        >
        > Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last
        > summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as
        > 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends
        > were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close.
        > Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt),
        > and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my
        > SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow
        > magnet) only.
        >
        > That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor
        > range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has
        > spurred me to get involved.
        >
        > Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable
        > future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period
        > nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a
        > longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional
        > for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks
        > great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No
        > matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question
        > of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them
        > can tell you that..." Good point.
        >
        > I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was
        > hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes
        > bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before
        > buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line
        > vendors, that'd be good to know too.
        >
        > Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then
        > probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm
        > looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology...
        >
        > Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
        > thanks,
        > Aelric

      • Carolus
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 15, 2009
          Aelric,
          I would really suggest you start with a bow with fiberglass laminations
          for a starter. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. Here is the reason
          why. When you are just starting, you need to take time to adjust your
          form and learn what feels right. This often means holding the bow at
          full draw while making adjustments and setting your sight picture (even
          if you aren't using sights, you have a sight picture - you'll learn
          about that). A self-bow is terribly unforgiving and can be damaged by
          being held too long at full draw. Have patience, start slow, and really
          learn what the art of shooting is all about; then buy that really cool
          (if not terribly expensive) period bow.
          Carolus

          aelric_southlake wrote:
          > Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by Sir Jon of West Kingdom.
          >
          > Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close. Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt), and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow magnet) only.
          >
          > That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has spurred me to get involved.
          >
          > Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them can tell you that..." Good point.
          >
          > I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line vendors, that'd be good to know too.
          >
          > Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology...
          >
          > Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
          > thanks,
          > Aelric

        • Copernicus Skygazer
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
            I have a longbow from fairebows.com they do very nice work. It is not
            entirely period, he tends to do hickory backed tropical woods, but
            depending on the blanks he can get they can be more or less periodish. I
            had him wrap on a leather shelf (not a cut in) and it shoots well. The
            string he made for it stretched far too much for my tastes so I changed
            it, but that may have been when he first started making strings. I've been
            quite happy with it for about 3-4 years now,
            YIS
            Phillipos the Skeptic

            On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, aelric_southlake wrote:

            > Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by Sir Jon of West Kingdom.
            >
            > Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close. Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt), and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow magnet) only.
            >
            > That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has spurred me to get involved.
            >
            > Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them can tell you that..." Good point.
            >
            > I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line vendors, that'd be good to know too.
            >
            > Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology...
            >
            > Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
            > thanks,
            > Aelric
            >

            > ------------------------------------

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
              I have one from woodbows.com
              And I like it and have had good luck with it.
              I have a longbow from fairebows.com they do very nice work. It is not
              entirely period, he tends to do hickory backed tropical woods, but
              depending on the blanks he can get they can be more or less periodish. I
              had him wrap on a leather shelf (not a cut in) and it shoots well. The
              string he made for it stretched far too much for my tastes so I changed
              it, but that may have been when he first started making strings. I've been
              quite happy with it for about 3-4 years now,
              YIS
              Phillipos the Skeptic

              On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, aelric_southlake wrote:

              > Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by Sir Jon of West Kingdom.
              >
              > Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close. Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt), and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow magnet) only.
              >
              > That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has spurred me to get involved.
              >
              > Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them can tell you that..." Good point.
              >
              > I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line vendors, that'd be good to know too.
              >
              > Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology...
              >
              > Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
              > thanks,
              > Aelric

            • Mike Boultinghouse
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
                My Lords,  I have been the SCA for a short time now, (around 5 years) and not being a fighter I took on Archery.  I chose to have a English style Long Bow made by a bowyer and by luck close to where I live.  The mans name is Kurt Luikart and he lives in Shaver Lake, CA (559) 841-7259....... His bows are very well made, silent and center ring scoring if you can shoot, which I don't do that well.  Over these past years I have had him make two more bows, one for my Lady and the other for my daughter. I have seen how well the bow does shoot by him and a few others.  At this time I'm working with him on an updated catalog of his bows and with some luck, I will have it with me at the Great Western War in October.  The bows arn't cheap, but I have had many people stop me to see the bows I carry.  Do hope this will help all.

                In service,
                Michael of Boulton
                Barony of Nordwache

                And I like it and have had good luck with it.
                    I have a longbow from fairebows.com they do very nice work. It is not
                  entirely period, he tends to do hickory backed tropical woods, but
                  depending on the blanks he can get they can be more or less periodish. I
                  had him wrap on a leather shelf (not a cut in) and it shoots well. The
                  string he made for it stretched far too much for my tastes so I changed
                  it, but that may have been when he first started making strings. I've been
                  quite happy with it for about 3-4 years now,
                  YIS
                  Phillipos the Skeptic

                  On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, aelric_southlake wrote:

                  > Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by Sir Jon of West Kingdom.
                  >
                  > Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close. Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt), and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow magnet) only.
                  >
                  > That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has spurred me to get involved.
                  >
                  > Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them can tell you that..." Good point.
                  >
                  > I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line vendors, that'd be good to know too.
                  >
                  > Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology...
                  >
                  > Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
                  > thanks,
                  > Aelric

              • Dayrl Merrill
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
                  Bearpaw out of Germany sells a longbow that I carry. It is available in a 29# model that is 58" long and a 40# model that is 68" long.
                  The wood is Manua from the Totham Palm tree. In a little over a year I have sold close to 3 dozen and everyone has comeback from
                  the range loving the way they shoot. Feel free to check out my website www.dmerrill.com for more details.

                  Rask
                  And I like it and have had good luck with it.
                  I have a longbow from fairebows.com they do very nice work. It is not
                  entirely period, he tends to do hickory backed tropical woods, but
                  depending on the blanks he can get they can be more or less periodish. I
                  had him wrap on a leather shelf (not a cut in) and it shoots well. The
                  string he made for it stretched far too much for my tastes so I changed
                  it, but that may have been when he first started making strings. I've been
                  quite happy with it for about 3-4 years now,
                  YIS
                  Phillipos the Skeptic

                  On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, aelric_southlake wrote:

                  > Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by Sir Jon of West Kingdom.
                  >
                  > Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close. Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt), and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow magnet) only.
                  >
                  > That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has spurred me to get involved.
                  >
                  > Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them can tell you that..." Good point.
                  >
                  > I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line vendors, that'd be good to know too.
                  >
                  > Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology...
                  >
                  > Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
                  > thanks,
                  > Aelric

                • Cleve Johnson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
                    I bought the 40# bow for me and the 29# bow for my younger son recently at an event.  We have not the opportunity to use the except for the day I purchased them, but my first impression is very positive.  We will have the chance to use them on a weekly basis starting this week, so I will post my thoughts on the Bearpaw bows in the next two or three weeks after I have had more experience with them.

                    Eadric

                    P.S.  I purchased mine from Dayrl, and his prices are very reasonable.

                    Cleve Johnson
                    lighttrek@...
                    www.books.lighttrek.com

                    "Fortitudine vincimus"
                    (By endurance we conquer)

                    ________________________________

                    And I like it and have had good luck with it.
                    I have a longbow from fairebows.com they do very nice work. It is not
                    entirely period, he tends to do hickory backed tropical woods, but
                    depending on the blanks he can get they can be more or less periodish. I
                    had him wrap on a leather shelf (not a cut in) and it shoots well. The
                    string he made for it stretched far too much for my tastes so I changed
                    it, but that may have been when he first started making strings. I've been
                    quite happy with it for about 3-4 years now,
                    YIS
                    Phillipos the Skeptic

                    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, aelric_southlake wrote:

                    > Greetings SCA archery folk! New to this list, was pointed here by Sir Jon of West Kingdom.
                    >
                    > Anyway, I've had SCA archery on the brain from as far back as last summer when I went to a local shire archery event on a lark, as 'something to do' with my then 2-year-old, knowing some friends were planning to be there - and because it was ridiculously close. Ended up having a blast (the location being beautiful didn't hurt), and thought to myself, "this could be a great added dimension to my SCA experience." So far, have been a heavy fighter (and arrow magnet) only.
                    >
                    > That gnawing interest, coupled with a new archery store/indoor range having very recently popped up down the street from me, has spurred me to get involved.
                    >
                    > Need a bow. Not likely going to do combat archery in any forseeable future. Haven't shot since my teens. My friends call me a 'period nazi,' and though I'd dispute that, I do want as traditional a longbow as I could get my hands on that still might be functional for a 'newbie' archer. I've seen some stuff on-line that looks great, sounds relatively authentic, but as Sir Jon pointed out: "No matter how period a bow may look on a site, it is still a question of how well it shoots. And only someone that has shot one of them can tell you that..." Good point.
                    >
                    > I live in The "North Bay/East Bay" part of Northern CA. I was hoping someone might know of someone/someplace that sells or makes bows, in my area-ish, that one could actually try out before buying. Or, if anyone has had some good experiences with on-line vendors, that'd be good to know too.
                    >
                    > Saw a bow I liked at Estrella war - should've grabbed it then probably! Handsome, but it was laminated - I 'think' what I'm looking for is a "self bow"? Just learning the terminology. ..
                    >
                    > Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated,
                    > thanks,
                    > Aelric

                  • Tim Filemyr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
                      Aelric

                      Dont forget to budget a dozen or so decent cedar arrows. You'll be amazed at how quickly they are lost as you are getting the basics down.

                      Also, archery can get intensely technical, especially as you are trying to improve your scores. So remember to keep it fun at all times!

                      Good luck,

                      Karl
                    • aelric_southlake
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
                        THANK YOU ALL! For the very good - and speedy - advice!!

                        Looks like I'll be doing the "adult lessons" class at the local arch range, where one can rent bows for the night. I was assured they have evil-lefty bows available, and after I get my feet wet, THEN I will start the process of finding the right bow.

                        I very well may be at Great Western this year, so I will keep my eyes peeled for the vendor mentioned.

                        Just from an engineering point of view, I should think a laminated bow WOULD be more forgiving, more even-tempered, easier to shoot than a one-piece. I may lean towards a laminate made from non-tropical/Europe-in-the-olde-days-available woods as a sort of compromise between authenticity and tech. We'll see. And I'll keep you all abreast of my trials and tribulations as I re-acclimate myself to archery! More questions will arise!

                        Again, thank you,
                        Aelric
                      • Copernicus Skygazer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009
                          I have heard good things about woodbows.com as well,
                          Phil the Skeptic