Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Greetings

  • Cleve Johnson
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 9, 2009
      Thank you for the welcome.  Yes, part of the reason my kids and I joined was to have father and sons time.  My wife is not interested in getting involved, but she is very glad that the boys and I have the opportunity to have our time together at archery practice and at an occasional event.

      Cleve Johnson
      lighttrek@...
      www.books.lighttrek.com

      "Fortitudine vincimus"
      (By endurance we conquer)

      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 16, 2009
        The technical aspects of archery can become a huge distraction if you let it. Unless you are prepared to overlook the vast compromises of period equipment it is almost more rewarding to simply shoot what you got and master its quirks and shortcommings... at least thats what they did in the olde days.

        That being said, too much fletch is generally better than too little,
        not enough spin is also better than too much (for those that fletch their own). Selecting the correct spine for your bow is probably the most important factor in predicting arrow flight.

        BTW, In the mundane world I shoot a FITA recurve and the many challenges of tuning that rig are almost always offset by the time lost not simply going out and practicing.