RE: [SCA-Archery] Greetings

  • Tisha Bakke
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 7, 2009
      Welcome!

      Warning ... target archery is very addicting! But I'm sure you will have a grand time :)

      ~ Namaste
      Alivia

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: lighttrek@...
      Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:05:31 +0000
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Greetings

      I am new to this group, and I am relatively new to the SCA. I joined in January. My boys and I are interested in target archery, and we participate with a wonderful group of people at practice on Wednesday evenings in the Barony of Sternfeld, Constellation region, Middle Kingdom (Indianapolis, IN). My kids and I have enjoyed ourselves thus far, and we plan to be as involved as our busy lives will allow.

      Eadric of Grenfeld

    • Tim Filemyr
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 16, 2009
        The technical aspects of archery can become a huge distraction if you let it. Unless you are prepared to overlook the vast compromises of period equipment it is almost more rewarding to simply shoot what you got and master its quirks and shortcommings... at least thats what they did in the olde days.

        That being said, too much fletch is generally better than too little,
        not enough spin is also better than too much (for those that fletch their own). Selecting the correct spine for your bow is probably the most important factor in predicting arrow flight.

        BTW, In the mundane world I shoot a FITA recurve and the many challenges of tuning that rig are almost always offset by the time lost not simply going out and practicing.