Re: additional Peerage Proposal ....final comments

  • Beth Kilburn
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
      Hi, all! Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Below is most of the feedback I myself sent to the SCA comments email address...
      Eibhlin

      I am for either a fourth Peerage (preferrable) or officially making a Peerage recognition "the other half" of OL (if that makes it easier to swallow) even though that may not make much sense, having A&S as one half & weapons/equestrian as the other half. I am still relatively new to the SCA. I have no rank, nor am I in a Peerage group. The Chivalry is for Knights (oath of fealty) & Mastery of Arms (no oath of fealty), the Laurels have theirs for excellence in A&S, and the Pelicans have theirs for excellence in service. What about those of us who do not do heavy combat or have yet to excel in A&S or may never hold a kingdom/society level office?

      There is a Peerage for those who do great service to their kingdom with heavy weapons but not a Peerage for those who do great service with non-rattan weapons? There is a Peerage to include those who do beautiful & delicate embroidery but not for those who know how to handle a beautiful horse on a field? It definitely seems to me that since there is Peerage recognition for some who excel but not for all who excel, that a slight re-organization can be done in order that all who are dedicated (to learning about x, participating in x, & teaching others what they've learned about x so that they too may excel in x) might have equal opportunity to attain Peerage status.

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tibbiecroser" <kmackavanagh@...> wrote:

      > I personally don't favor the proposal, but I commend Sir Jon and his collaborators for working very hard, through the proper channels, to try to effect changes they want. There are many, many people on SCA lists who repeatedly gripe about how this or that should be banned, but they never *do* anything to get the rules changed.
      >
      > Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia, fencer and possible future target archer
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is again and then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going to stop forcing this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the feeling you are doing this only so you can have another Peerage.
      > >
      > > It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead
      > >
      > > Iain Griffen

    • Dan Scheid
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
        I need to make some correction before this gets out of hand .. post inserted
        below.

        _____

[...]

        / no service is service you can get a pelican for anything in this group it
        just a measure of work for the group

        There is a Peerage to include those who do beautiful & delicate embroidery
        but not for those who know how to handle a beautiful horse on a field?

        Wrong again riding well can get you invited into the order of the Laurel.
        (I know that's how I got invited)

        It definitely seems to me that since there is Peerage recognition for some
        who excel but not for all who excel, that a slight re-organization can be
        done in order that all who are dedicated (to learning about x, participating
        in x, & teaching others what they've learned about x so that they too may
        excel in x) might have equal opportunity to attain Peerage status.

        What is at odds here is NON RATTAN COMBAT. This is a whole in our group
        that does not fit in service, A&S or Rattan combat (chivalry)

        Damales Redbeard O.L.

        --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
        "tibbiecroser" <kmackavanagh@...> wrote:

        > I personally don't favor the proposal, but I commend Sir Jon and his
        collaborators for working very hard, through the proper channels, to try to
        effect changes they want. There are many, many people on SCA lists who
        repeatedly gripe about how this or that should be banned, but they never
        *do* anything to get the rules changed.

        > Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia, fencer and possible
        future target archer

        > --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@> wrote:

        > > During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the
        Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is again and
        then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going to stop forcing
        this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the feeling you are doing this only
        so you can have another Peerage.

        > > It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead
        > >
        > > Iain Griffen

      • Sandra
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
          Friends and comradres lets be civil and try not to start any flame wars (it hasnt yet but its getting a lil warm)... there are differences in opinion on this and guess what, if you have an opinion that's what this proposal is about. Submit your comments to BoD; both pro and con are welcome. :)

          Personally, I find I am on the fence with the 4th peerage idea. I am all for recognizing people for thier talents and strengths but whether or not they "fit" into one of the 3 exisitng peerages or if a new one should be created is a tricky thing to figure out. Many have argued that any of the non-rattan fighters can fit into either of the 3 existing peerages and I can see that but only in a certain sense. Like fitting a round peg into a square hole....it can fit if its the right size; the mission could be accomplished but was it really meant to be by that method? I am finding ways I can fit a peerage through archery (both target and combat) in either Chivalry or Laurel pathway myself; a personal vendetta of course to see if its possible. But then again after all there are Knights who made it not by sword and board but rather (ie)spear; rare but possible. Then at the the same I would like to see a peerage for what specific discipline it is suppose to encompass... but specific to one "class" so a "catch-all" peerage I think is a bad idea. Equal recognition for each different discipline could be complicated still even with a peerage that catches all [others].

          Best I can do at this point is share my opinion, submit my comments to the BoD thingy then get out there (events), play, fight, shoot, create/recreate, make friends, learn, teach etc but most importantly have fun.

          Respectfully,

          Rohesia
          Shire of Border Vale Keep
          Kingdom of Atlantia
        • Beth Kilburn
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
            I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able to maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.

            Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group", what exactly does that mean?

            Eibhlin

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

            > I need to make some correction before this gets out of hand .. post inserted
            > below.
            >
            > _____

          • Dan Scheid
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
              Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a
              pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group",
              what exactly does that mean?

              Eibhlin

              -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It does not
              matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun marshalling if
              you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that pelicans
              recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel made for
              there "work" to better the game.

              Make since?

            • Dave Poulin
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                I suspect that is only confusing due to a lack of punctuation... My 'take' on that comment was that it should read thusly:

                "No, service is service. You can get a Pelican for anything in this group. It is just a measure of work for the group."

                Lord Antony

                Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group", what exactly does that mean?

                Eibhlin

                MARKETPLACE
                Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their families, for the world and for each other

                a.. 4New Members
                Visit Your Group
                Yahoo! News
                Fashion News

                What's the word on

                fashion and style?

                Share Photos
                Put your favorite

                photos and

                more online.

                Celebrity Parents
                Spotlight on Kids

                Hollywood families

                share stories
                .

              • Dan Scheid
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                  I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able to
                  maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of
                  my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an
                  "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.

                  Eibhlin._,__

                  I will respectfully disagree. And here is why . Art and science are
                  something that is insulted. Your goal is to make the best widget you can or
                  to develop the best theory on how the moon moves. I does not matter what you
                  friend is doing. The goal is for YOU to do the best You can.

                  COMBAT is 180 deg. Different. Your goal is to best your opponent. . You do
                  not have to pull your bow absolutely correctly to get a shot on your
                  opponent. You can bounce all over you horses back if you can place your
                  lance on his shield . You goal is not to make it perfect. Your goal it to
                  make your opponent to miss or to make a mistake.

                  See the difference? This is why I feel it should be place in the Chivalry

                  Damales

                  _

                • Beth Kilburn
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                    Yes, it does! Thank you for clearing that up for me!
                    Eibhlin

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

                    > Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a
                    > pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group",
                    > what exactly does that mean?
                    >
                    > Eibhlin
                    >
                    > -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It does not
                    > matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun marshalling if
                    > you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that pelicans
                    > recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel made for
                    > there "work" to better the game.
                    >
                    > Make since?

                  • John edgerton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                      But the intent of the proposals is to gain peerage recognition for
                      those that have the peerage level qualifications and excel in the
                      "skills" of one of those fields, e.g. archery, rapier, equestrian,
                      etc. If you do service, it is a Pelican. If you do arts and science
                      work or research it is a Laurel.

                      Jon

                      On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Dan Scheid wrote:

                      > Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you
                      > can get a
                      > pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for
                      > the group",
                      > what exactly does that mean?
                      >
                      > Eibhlin
                      >
                      > -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It
                      > does not
                      > matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun
                      > marshalling if
                      > you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that
                      > pelicans
                      > recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel
                      > made for
                      > there "work" to better the game.
                      >
                      > Make since?

                    • Beth Kilburn
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                        I actually agree that the OL isn't the place for non-rattan combat peerage skill recognition, at least not as the OL stands now and it I don't think it'd be fair to change the OL to accomodate combat to go along side A&S in the same peerage group unless all peerage belong to the same group, but the SCA has advanced way beyond that point. Ok, right now I'm just rambling, huh? That's why a fourth peerage is preferable.

                        Guess I should've stated my disagreement to even that particular part - that if non-rattan combat peerage skill recognition be side by side with another peerage, then Chivarly be considered. But is that something that should be considered? Maybe it would just be easier on everyone involved if a fourth peerage be made. Is peerage skill non-rattan combat the only peerage skill level not already covered? Might should consider them, too, if any, while we're at it... Ok, I'm starting to get a headache now.

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

                        > I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able to
                        > maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of
                        > my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an
                        > "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.
                        >

                        > Eibhlin._,__
                        >
                        > I will respectfully disagree. And here is why . Art and science are
                        > something that is insulted. Your goal is to make the best widget you can or
                        > to develop the best theory on how the moon moves. I does not matter what you
                        > friend is doing. The goal is for YOU to do the best You can.
                        >
                        > COMBAT is 180 deg. Different. Your goal is to best your opponent. . You do
                        > not have to pull your bow absolutely correctly to get a shot on your
                        > opponent. You can bounce all over you horses back if you can place your
                        > lance on his shield . You goal is not to make it perfect. Your goal it to
                        > make your opponent to miss or to make a mistake.
                        >
                        > See the difference? This is why I feel it should be place in the Chivalry
                        >
                        > Damales
                        >
                        > _

                      • i_griffen
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

                          > Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a
                          > pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group",
                          > what exactly does that mean?
                          >
                          > Eibhlin
                          >
                          > -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It does not
                          > matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun marshalling if
                          > you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that pelicans
                          > recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel made for
                          > there "work" to better the game.
                          >
                          > Make since?

                          I Also have see people over looked for doing the above. the main reason given (was because their personal opinion and ideal were different)
                        • Sandra Rangel
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                            The problem is that it looks good on "paper" to say non rattan combat
                            should be encompassed in Chivalry. But when you read about Chivalry it
                            states prowess in tournaments. That said, name me what crown
                            tournament allowed for an archer or rapier combatant to compete?? And
                            add in the fact that if you don't know or practice "sword and board"
                            its doesn't matter what non rattan discipline you excel in you will
                            most likely dare I say not be considered for a peerage in Chivalry.
                            Hence the reasoning behind a fourth peerage. :)

                            Advance thought on the other end of the spectrum is that as a peer you
                            a laurel, knight or pelican of the SCA not such-n-such Kingdom. So how
                            can a peerage be created if not every Kingdom has rapier or combat
                            archery. Then (rambling on myself lol) one could argue back that not
                            every Kingdom has soap makers but they could still obtain a peerage in
                            OL.

                            This is like a circle....round and round the debate can go. But its
                            good... It can bring change or at the very least an awareness of a
                            long standing issue in the way we allow ourselves and other to play
                            the game.

                            ~Rohesia

                            On 8/6/09, Beth Kilburn <iamanirishrose@...> wrote:
                            > I actually agree that the OL isn't the place for non-rattan combat peerage
                            > skill recognition, at least not as the OL stands now and it I don't think
                            > it'd be fair to change the OL to accomodate combat to go along side A&S in
                            > the same peerage group unless all peerage belong to the same group, but the
                            > SCA has advanced way beyond that point. Ok, right now I'm just rambling,
                            > huh? That's why a fourth peerage is preferable.
                            >
                            > Guess I should've stated my disagreement to even that particular part - that
                            > if non-rattan combat peerage skill recognition be side by side with another
                            > peerage, then Chivarly be considered. But is that something that should be
                            > considered? Maybe it would just be easier on everyone involved if a fourth
                            > peerage be made. Is peerage skill non-rattan combat the only peerage skill
                            > level not already covered? Might should consider them, too, if any, while
                            > we're at it... Ok, I'm starting to get a headache now.
                            >

                            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:
                            >>

                            >> I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able
                            >> maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of
                            >> my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an
                            >> "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.
                            >>

                            >> Eibhlin._,__
                            >>
                            >> I will respectfully disagree. And here is why . Art and science are
                            >> something that is insulted. Your goal is to make the best widget you can
                            >> or
                            >> to develop the best theory on how the moon moves. I does not matter what
                            >> you
                            >> friend is doing. The goal is for YOU to do the best You can.
                            >>
                            >> COMBAT is 180 deg. Different. Your goal is to best your opponent. . You
                            >> do
                            >> not have to pull your bow absolutely correctly to get a shot on your
                            >> opponent. You can bounce all over you horses back if you can place your
                            >> lance on his shield . You goal is not to make it perfect. Your goal it to
                            >> make your opponent to miss or to make a mistake.
                            >>
                            >> See the difference? This is why I feel it should be place in the Chivalry
                            >>
                            >> Damales
                            >>
                            >> _

                            >> 05:57:00

                            Sent from my mobile device
                          • George Ledbury
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 9, 2009
                              Dan Scheid wrote:

                              > I need to make some correction before this gets out of hand .. post
                              > inserted
                              > below.
                              >
                              > _____
                              >
                              > From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>

                              what you are saying is that if you are not a heavy fighter you have no
                              chivalry and if you are a Knight you do you don't know the same knights
                              I do if you think that is atomatic
                            • Dan Scheid
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 9, 2009
                                By caporal Chivalry Is the name of the order no more no less

                                Damales

                                >what you are saying is that if you are not a heavy fighter you have no
                                >chivalry and if you are a Knight you do you don't know the same knights
                                >I do if you think that is atomatic

                                _,___