additional Peerage Proposal ....final comments

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2009
      Just a reminder if you have not already sent your comments to the
      BoD. The deadline for comments is September 1.

      This proposal could affect: Rapier fighters. Target and combat
      archers. Equestrians. Siege engineers. And thrown weapon users.

      Please read all of the the proposal before sending your comments to
      the BOD.

      Please forward this to any lists or people that may be interested.

      Thank you

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West

      The below is forwarded from the BOD.

      The Board of Directors and President of the Society for Creative
      Anachronism, Inc., have received an independent survey regarding
      potential changes to the Peerage Orders. Following our procedures for
      receipt of this type of information, The President and Board of
      Directors are seeking your comments and opinions. The complete packet
      can be
      reviewed at

      http://www.sca.org/4peerage

      We request comments from the membership regarding this subject no
      later
      than September 1, 2009. Please send them to:

      SCA Inc.
      Box 360789
      Milpitas CA, 95036
      email: comments at sca.org
      --
      Patrick Anderson
      President
      president at sca.org
      952-412-4112

    • i_griffen
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 5, 2009
        During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is again and then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going to stop forcing this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the feeling you are doing this only so you can have another Peerage.

        It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead

        Iain Griffen
      • Carolus
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 5, 2009
          Though Sir Jon and I have never met face to face, we have
          communicated many times over the years and I feel I have some
          knowledge of the man. I believe he honestly is putting this forward
          for the reasons he states. Many years age there were only knights as
          peers. Then the artists were recognized, and finally (after
          considerable dissension) those who served as officers and in other
          roles. Over the years it has seemed that there are others who also
          participate in ways which do not get recognized through the existing
          channels. Whether such recognition is desired, warranted, necessary,
          or even needed is a matter for discussion. In the past, the
          presentation of the idea was generally rejected out of hand without a
          proper opportunity for comment and discussion. This discussion is
          what Sir Jon has been asking for and now has. There is a deadline,
          comments have come in. Allow the matter to be considered, reviewed,
          and the BoD to take the action the commentary calls for. Then we can
          rightly call the matter closed.
          Carolus

          At 09:32 PM 8/5/2009, you wrote:
          >During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the
          >Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is again
          >and then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going to
          >stop forcing this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the feeling
          >you are doing this only so you can have another Peerage.
          >
          >It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead
          >
          >Iain Griffen
        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 5, 2009
            It has only been rewritten once. The current proposal is the second
            rewrite. To the best of my knowledge it has not yet been rejected by
            the BoD. If you know differently, please let me know.

            Your feeling as to my reasons for doing this is incorrect and I find
            it rather insulting as well. I have stated my reasons many times on
            the SCA 4 Peerage Yahoo group, if you wish to read them there. I am
            now arthritic and my vision is getting worse. My scores and skill
            are not what they used to be a few years ago and it is unlikely that
            they will ever improve to a peerage level.

            The horse is not yet dead. It is alive and well and just keeps
            trotting along.

            Jon

            On Aug 5, 2009, at 9:32 PM, i_griffen wrote:

            > During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the
            > Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is
            > again and then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going
            > to stop forcing this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the
            > feeling you are doing this only so you can have another Peerage.
            >
            > It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead
            >
            > Iain Griffen

          • Dan Scheid

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 5, 2009
                Greetings to the hall,

                I for one being a rookie (1 year) to the SCA and also a merchant would like to see this Peerage pass. As the archery events are the only extra curricular activities I get to enjoy. When you merchant you don't have time to fight in heavy weapons or rapier. It would be nice to get reconized for skills other then heavy fighting .

                Just my 2 cents,

                Arkayn
              • tibbiecroser
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                  I personally don't favor the proposal, but I commend Sir Jon and his collaborators for working very hard, through the proper channels, to try to effect changes they want. There are many, many people on SCA lists who repeatedly gripe about how this or that should be banned, but they never *do* anything to get the rules changed.

                  Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia, fencer and possible future target archer

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

                  > During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is again and then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going to stop forcing this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the feeling you are doing this only so you can have another Peerage.
                  >
                  > It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead
                  >
                  > Iain Griffen

                • Beth Kilburn
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                    Hi, all! Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Below is most of the feedback I myself sent to the SCA comments email address...
                    Eibhlin

                    I am for either a fourth Peerage (preferrable) or officially making a Peerage recognition "the other half" of OL (if that makes it easier to swallow) even though that may not make much sense, having A&S as one half & weapons/equestrian as the other half. I am still relatively new to the SCA. I have no rank, nor am I in a Peerage group. The Chivalry is for Knights (oath of fealty) & Mastery of Arms (no oath of fealty), the Laurels have theirs for excellence in A&S, and the Pelicans have theirs for excellence in service. What about those of us who do not do heavy combat or have yet to excel in A&S or may never hold a kingdom/society level office?

                    There is a Peerage for those who do great service to their kingdom with heavy weapons but not a Peerage for those who do great service with non-rattan weapons? There is a Peerage to include those who do beautiful & delicate embroidery but not for those who know how to handle a beautiful horse on a field? It definitely seems to me that since there is Peerage recognition for some who excel but not for all who excel, that a slight re-organization can be done in order that all who are dedicated (to learning about x, participating in x, & teaching others what they've learned about x so that they too may excel in x) might have equal opportunity to attain Peerage status.

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tibbiecroser" <kmackavanagh@...> wrote:

                    > I personally don't favor the proposal, but I commend Sir Jon and his collaborators for working very hard, through the proper channels, to try to effect changes they want. There are many, many people on SCA lists who repeatedly gripe about how this or that should be banned, but they never *do* anything to get the rules changed.
                    >
                    > Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia, fencer and possible future target archer
                    >
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is again and then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going to stop forcing this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the feeling you are doing this only so you can have another Peerage.
                    > >
                    > > It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead
                    > >
                    > > Iain Griffen

                  • Dan Scheid
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                      I need to make some correction before this gets out of hand .. post inserted
                      below.

                      _____

[...]

                      / no service is service you can get a pelican for anything in this group it
                      just a measure of work for the group

                      There is a Peerage to include those who do beautiful & delicate embroidery
                      but not for those who know how to handle a beautiful horse on a field?

                      Wrong again riding well can get you invited into the order of the Laurel.
                      (I know that's how I got invited)

                      It definitely seems to me that since there is Peerage recognition for some
                      who excel but not for all who excel, that a slight re-organization can be
                      done in order that all who are dedicated (to learning about x, participating
                      in x, & teaching others what they've learned about x so that they too may
                      excel in x) might have equal opportunity to attain Peerage status.

                      What is at odds here is NON RATTAN COMBAT. This is a whole in our group
                      that does not fit in service, A&S or Rattan combat (chivalry)

                      Damales Redbeard O.L.

                      --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                      "tibbiecroser" <kmackavanagh@...> wrote:

                      > I personally don't favor the proposal, but I commend Sir Jon and his
                      collaborators for working very hard, through the proper channels, to try to
                      effect changes they want. There are many, many people on SCA lists who
                      repeatedly gripe about how this or that should be banned, but they never
                      *do* anything to get the rules changed.

                      > Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia, fencer and possible
                      future target archer

                      > --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@> wrote:

                      > > During the past 10 years You have been putting this in front of the
                      Board of Directors. They have been rejecting it You rewrite is again and
                      then resubmit is again it is rejected. When are you going to stop forcing
                      this issue. You are a triple Peer. I get the feeling you are doing this only
                      so you can have another Peerage.

                      > > It may be a good idea to let the dead horse stay dead
                      > >
                      > > Iain Griffen

                    • Sandra
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                        Friends and comradres lets be civil and try not to start any flame wars (it hasnt yet but its getting a lil warm)... there are differences in opinion on this and guess what, if you have an opinion that's what this proposal is about. Submit your comments to BoD; both pro and con are welcome. :)

                        Personally, I find I am on the fence with the 4th peerage idea. I am all for recognizing people for thier talents and strengths but whether or not they "fit" into one of the 3 exisitng peerages or if a new one should be created is a tricky thing to figure out. Many have argued that any of the non-rattan fighters can fit into either of the 3 existing peerages and I can see that but only in a certain sense. Like fitting a round peg into a square hole....it can fit if its the right size; the mission could be accomplished but was it really meant to be by that method? I am finding ways I can fit a peerage through archery (both target and combat) in either Chivalry or Laurel pathway myself; a personal vendetta of course to see if its possible. But then again after all there are Knights who made it not by sword and board but rather (ie)spear; rare but possible. Then at the the same I would like to see a peerage for what specific discipline it is suppose to encompass... but specific to one "class" so a "catch-all" peerage I think is a bad idea. Equal recognition for each different discipline could be complicated still even with a peerage that catches all [others].

                        Best I can do at this point is share my opinion, submit my comments to the BoD thingy then get out there (events), play, fight, shoot, create/recreate, make friends, learn, teach etc but most importantly have fun.

                        Respectfully,

                        Rohesia
                        Shire of Border Vale Keep
                        Kingdom of Atlantia
                      • Beth Kilburn
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                          I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able to maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.

                          Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group", what exactly does that mean?

                          Eibhlin

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

                          > I need to make some correction before this gets out of hand .. post inserted
                          > below.
                          >
                          > _____

                        • Dan Scheid
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                            Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a
                            pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group",
                            what exactly does that mean?

                            Eibhlin

                            -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It does not
                            matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun marshalling if
                            you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that pelicans
                            recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel made for
                            there "work" to better the game.

                            Make since?

                          • Dave Poulin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                              I suspect that is only confusing due to a lack of punctuation... My 'take' on that comment was that it should read thusly:

                              "No, service is service. You can get a Pelican for anything in this group. It is just a measure of work for the group."

                              Lord Antony

                              Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group", what exactly does that mean?

                              Eibhlin

                              MARKETPLACE
                              Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their families, for the world and for each other

                              a.. 4New Members
                              Visit Your Group
                              Yahoo! News
                              Fashion News

                              What's the word on

                              fashion and style?

                              Share Photos
                              Put your favorite

                              photos and

                              more online.

                              Celebrity Parents
                              Spotlight on Kids

                              Hollywood families

                              share stories
                              .

                            • Dan Scheid
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                                I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able to
                                maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of
                                my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an
                                "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.

                                Eibhlin._,__

                                I will respectfully disagree. And here is why . Art and science are
                                something that is insulted. Your goal is to make the best widget you can or
                                to develop the best theory on how the moon moves. I does not matter what you
                                friend is doing. The goal is for YOU to do the best You can.

                                COMBAT is 180 deg. Different. Your goal is to best your opponent. . You do
                                not have to pull your bow absolutely correctly to get a shot on your
                                opponent. You can bounce all over you horses back if you can place your
                                lance on his shield . You goal is not to make it perfect. Your goal it to
                                make your opponent to miss or to make a mistake.

                                See the difference? This is why I feel it should be place in the Chivalry

                                Damales

                                _

                              • Beth Kilburn
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                                  Yes, it does! Thank you for clearing that up for me!
                                  Eibhlin

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

                                  > Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a
                                  > pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group",
                                  > what exactly does that mean?
                                  >
                                  > Eibhlin
                                  >
                                  > -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It does not
                                  > matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun marshalling if
                                  > you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that pelicans
                                  > recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel made for
                                  > there "work" to better the game.
                                  >
                                  > Make since?

                                • John edgerton
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                                    But the intent of the proposals is to gain peerage recognition for
                                    those that have the peerage level qualifications and excel in the
                                    "skills" of one of those fields, e.g. archery, rapier, equestrian,
                                    etc. If you do service, it is a Pelican. If you do arts and science
                                    work or research it is a Laurel.

                                    Jon

                                    On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Dan Scheid wrote:

                                    > Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you
                                    > can get a
                                    > pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for
                                    > the group",
                                    > what exactly does that mean?
                                    >
                                    > Eibhlin
                                    >
                                    > -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It
                                    > does not
                                    > matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun
                                    > marshalling if
                                    > you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that
                                    > pelicans
                                    > recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel
                                    > made for
                                    > there "work" to better the game.
                                    >
                                    > Make since?

                                  • Beth Kilburn
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                                      I actually agree that the OL isn't the place for non-rattan combat peerage skill recognition, at least not as the OL stands now and it I don't think it'd be fair to change the OL to accomodate combat to go along side A&S in the same peerage group unless all peerage belong to the same group, but the SCA has advanced way beyond that point. Ok, right now I'm just rambling, huh? That's why a fourth peerage is preferable.

                                      Guess I should've stated my disagreement to even that particular part - that if non-rattan combat peerage skill recognition be side by side with another peerage, then Chivarly be considered. But is that something that should be considered? Maybe it would just be easier on everyone involved if a fourth peerage be made. Is peerage skill non-rattan combat the only peerage skill level not already covered? Might should consider them, too, if any, while we're at it... Ok, I'm starting to get a headache now.

                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

                                      > I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able to
                                      > maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of
                                      > my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an
                                      > "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.
                                      >

                                      > Eibhlin._,__
                                      >
                                      > I will respectfully disagree. And here is why . Art and science are
                                      > something that is insulted. Your goal is to make the best widget you can or
                                      > to develop the best theory on how the moon moves. I does not matter what you
                                      > friend is doing. The goal is for YOU to do the best You can.
                                      >
                                      > COMBAT is 180 deg. Different. Your goal is to best your opponent. . You do
                                      > not have to pull your bow absolutely correctly to get a shot on your
                                      > opponent. You can bounce all over you horses back if you can place your
                                      > lance on his shield . You goal is not to make it perfect. Your goal it to
                                      > make your opponent to miss or to make a mistake.
                                      >
                                      > See the difference? This is why I feel it should be place in the Chivalry
                                      >
                                      > Damales
                                      >
                                      > _

                                    • i_griffen
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:

                                        > Master Damales Redbeard, When you say, "no service is service you can get a
                                        > pelican for anything in this group it just a measure of work for the group",
                                        > what exactly does that mean?
                                        >
                                        > Eibhlin
                                        >
                                        > -in simple terms work is work. pelicans are the work horses. It does not
                                        > matter if your cleaning toilets or out standing in the sun marshalling if
                                        > you are doing service to the group. You are doing the work that pelicans
                                        > recognized for. I have seen more then one archery and rapier pel made for
                                        > there "work" to better the game.
                                        >
                                        > Make since?

                                        I Also have see people over looked for doing the above. the main reason given (was because their personal opinion and ideal were different)
                                      • Sandra Rangel
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 6, 2009
                                          The problem is that it looks good on "paper" to say non rattan combat
                                          should be encompassed in Chivalry. But when you read about Chivalry it
                                          states prowess in tournaments. That said, name me what crown
                                          tournament allowed for an archer or rapier combatant to compete?? And
                                          add in the fact that if you don't know or practice "sword and board"
                                          its doesn't matter what non rattan discipline you excel in you will
                                          most likely dare I say not be considered for a peerage in Chivalry.
                                          Hence the reasoning behind a fourth peerage. :)

                                          Advance thought on the other end of the spectrum is that as a peer you
                                          a laurel, knight or pelican of the SCA not such-n-such Kingdom. So how
                                          can a peerage be created if not every Kingdom has rapier or combat
                                          archery. Then (rambling on myself lol) one could argue back that not
                                          every Kingdom has soap makers but they could still obtain a peerage in
                                          OL.

                                          This is like a circle....round and round the debate can go. But its
                                          good... It can bring change or at the very least an awareness of a
                                          long standing issue in the way we allow ourselves and other to play
                                          the game.

                                          ~Rohesia

                                          On 8/6/09, Beth Kilburn <iamanirishrose@...> wrote:
                                          > I actually agree that the OL isn't the place for non-rattan combat peerage
                                          > skill recognition, at least not as the OL stands now and it I don't think
                                          > it'd be fair to change the OL to accomodate combat to go along side A&S in
                                          > the same peerage group unless all peerage belong to the same group, but the
                                          > SCA has advanced way beyond that point. Ok, right now I'm just rambling,
                                          > huh? That's why a fourth peerage is preferable.
                                          >
                                          > Guess I should've stated my disagreement to even that particular part - that
                                          > if non-rattan combat peerage skill recognition be side by side with another
                                          > peerage, then Chivarly be considered. But is that something that should be
                                          > considered? Maybe it would just be easier on everyone involved if a fourth
                                          > peerage be made. Is peerage skill non-rattan combat the only peerage skill
                                          > level not already covered? Might should consider them, too, if any, while
                                          > we're at it... Ok, I'm starting to get a headache now.
                                          >

                                          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Scheid" <damales@...> wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >> I apologize for not knowing one who excels in horsemanship would be able
                                          >> maybe achieve peerage in OL. Given that, aside from the equestrian part of
                                          >> my statement, I'm still under the impression a fourth peerage or an
                                          >> "amendment" to OL should still be seriously considered.
                                          >>

                                          >> Eibhlin._,__
                                          >>
                                          >> I will respectfully disagree. And here is why . Art and science are
                                          >> something that is insulted. Your goal is to make the best widget you can
                                          >> or
                                          >> to develop the best theory on how the moon moves. I does not matter what
                                          >> you
                                          >> friend is doing. The goal is for YOU to do the best You can.
                                          >>
                                          >> COMBAT is 180 deg. Different. Your goal is to best your opponent. . You
                                          >> do
                                          >> not have to pull your bow absolutely correctly to get a shot on your
                                          >> opponent. You can bounce all over you horses back if you can place your
                                          >> lance on his shield . You goal is not to make it perfect. Your goal it to
                                          >> make your opponent to miss or to make a mistake.
                                          >>
                                          >> See the difference? This is why I feel it should be place in the Chivalry
                                          >>
                                          >> Damales
                                          >>
                                          >> _

                                          >> 05:57:00

                                          Sent from my mobile device
                                        • George Ledbury
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 9, 2009
                                            Dan Scheid wrote:

                                            > I need to make some correction before this gets out of hand .. post
                                            > inserted
                                            > below.
                                            >
                                            > _____
                                            >
                                            > From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                            > <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>

                                            what you are saying is that if you are not a heavy fighter you have no
                                            chivalry and if you are a Knight you do you don't know the same knights
                                            I do if you think that is atomatic
                                          • Dan Scheid
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 9, 2009
                                              By caporal Chivalry Is the name of the order no more no less

                                              Damales

                                              >what you are saying is that if you are not a heavy fighter you have no
                                              >chivalry and if you are a Knight you do you don't know the same knights
                                              >I do if you think that is atomatic

                                              _,___