range set up

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
      So what are the standard target distances for SCA shoots?

      William
    • THL Caedmon Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
        On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM, William<wjbates1430@...> wrote:
        > So what are the standard target distances for SCA shoots?

        For the IKAC and similar shoots, 20/30/40 yards are the standard
        distances. But, you can use any distance your range will safely
        handle. Many novelty shoots occur as 20 yards or less, but if you
        have the space, feel free to go out to 100 yards!

        -Caedmon
      • Alexandre Saint Pierre
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
          The standard types of shoots I've seen here in the East Kingdom and their
          details:

          Royal Round & IKAC - 60 cm rounds at 20, 30 and 40 yards. Center of the
          target ~3 feet off the ground.

          Advancing Soldiers - "man sized" targets at 60, 50, 40, 30, 20 and 10

          Castle Window - a slot, 6 or so inches wide, 18-24" tall, usually at 30
          yards.

          Clout - a 30 foot diameter circle on the ground with a target (soldier or
          window) in the center, with the center at 100 yards.

          As Caedmon mentioned, novelty shoots are often at close distances, often
          random, un-announced distances to challenge those archers who usually shoot
          at 20, 30 and 40 yards. I've seen targets for "roving ranges" or "woods
          walks" anywhere from 5 to 30 yards, depends on the terrain.

          -Alexandre