Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Competition

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 12 9:27 AM
      If you run out of space to move the target and you have tie scores
      at that point, you can have the next end at the same distance and the
      archer closest to the center mark wins. This was a period practice.

      When will I make it to Pennsic .... when I win the Lottery. ;-)
      Sounds like a fun competition, I wish I could make it.

      I just ran a somewhat similar competition at An Tir/West war. I had
      a series of rings of decreasing size, all shot at the same distance.
      Each archer had three arrows, only the archers that one arrow hIt
      inside the ring continued to the next smaller target. It was based
      on a period Italian competition.

      Jon

      On Jul 12, 2009, at 9:05 AM, James Koch wrote:

> [...]
      > > > winning crossbow shooter remain.
      > > >

      > >What happens if after X number of ends, you have two archers and two
      > >crossbow shooters remaining, and then they all miss with their
      > >remaining arrows/bolts?
      > >
      > >Jon
      > >
      > >On Jul 11, 2009, at 8:39 PM, James Koch wrote:
      > >

      > > > Gentlemen & Ladies,
      > > > >
      > > > I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic. I have drawn
      > up a
      > > > set of rules for the contest and have included them below. Be
      > > > advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
      > > > butt. I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
      > > > tripod. This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition. No
      > > > math whatsoever on anyone's part. Even the distances shot will
      > > > remain unknown and irrelevant. The only counting required will
      > be in
      > > > selecting 6 projectiles.
      > > > >
      > > > I have a question for the group. Are the following rules clear,
      > and
      > > > have I covered all the bases? Please understand that I am not
      > asking
      > > > for improvements or major changes to the competition. If you
      > think a
      > > > different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
      > > > sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.
      > > > >
      > > > Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
      > > > 1) This competition will award two prizes. One prize will go to
      > > > the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning
      > crossbow
      > > > shooter. Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
      > > > same target.
      > > > 2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
      > > > hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
      > > > which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as
      > good.
      > > > 3) The shoot is un-timed.
      > > > 4) Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts. Each
      > > > participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
      > > > remaining arrows or bolts have been expended. Participants who hit
      > > > the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
      > > > did not make a hit are eliminated.
      > > > 5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow
      > shooters
      > > > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
      > > > target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for
      > safe
      > > > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
      > > > eliminated from the competition.
      > > > 6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which
      > has
      > > > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
      > > > re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
      > > > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
      > > > remaining from the previous round.
      > > > 7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and

    • James McAdams
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 12 10:43 AM
        John edgerton wrote:

        >I just ran a somewhat similar competition at An Tir/West war. I had
        >a series of rings of decreasing size, all shot at the same distance.
        >Each archer had three arrows, only the archers that one arrow hIt
        >inside the ring continued to the next smaller target. It was based
        >on a period Italian competition.

        We did a combination of these last year as a fundraiser. 3 arrows,
        and the target moves back. Any arrows that missed the target were lost
        for future rounds.
        The fundraising aspect was that you could re-buy any 'lost' arrows.
        A couple of generous and competitive archers made this the most
        successful of a half-dozen fundraisers we did that day.

        Xavier
      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 12 12:56 PM

          > The butt will definitely be moved
          > back a bit for each new round.

          Move the people, not the butt.
        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 12 4:20 PM
            Kelly,

            That's it in a nutshell. The rest is all legal mumbo jumbo.

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 12 4:30 PM
              Hobbe,

              It may be possible to move the people back, if the parallel ranges
              are closed at that time. I expect to use the existing gates, but
              until the new ranges are set up, it's hard to say which will work
              best. Leaving the butt stationary does make finding lost arrows easier.