Re: [SCA-Archery] Teaching a 5 year old

  • Sheri Rees
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      Simon,
      The biggest thing that will help your great-grandson is
      practice. Verbal instructions can and do work with this age when
      combined with lots of practice and reassurance. As well as his being
      able to watch you and others shooting properly.

      My son is now 5 and a half, he's been shooting without my direct help
      for almost 2 years. He shoots with us every week during Baronial
      practice (which is in our yard) and whenever else he asks to. He's
      also competed in one Shire Champions shoot 2 years in a row (later
      this month will be the third time). He's competed mostly because I
      was there to shoot and he wanted to when I did (more fun than the
      babysitter).

      Give yourselves the time to work with this, you can't rush it.
      Also find some fun targets to shoot at - keep this a game for him.

      Shadhra, AnTir
      (who works at a preschool many months a year)

      At 09:41 AM 6/30/2009, you wrote:
      >I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
      >very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
      >keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
      >(since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
      >the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.
      >
      >Any other suggestions?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Simon Sinneghe
      >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
    • Lord Richard Woodenbridge
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2009
        Greetings all,
        I thought that this discussion was related to a video I posted on youtube today. Its my son age 6 as of March at practicing shooting.
        I jsut thought those of you who commented might like to see this:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ1wPKoWsKo

        Richard Woodenbridge
      • Hank Steinfeld
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2009
          In general, his form looks very good especially for someone that young.  I hesitate to make suggestions but I will add that if you look at his feet, you will see an opportunity to increase draw and improve form even more.  Have him stand with his rear (right foot) slightly behind a line drawn from the tips of his toes to the target. (the purpendicular to the shooting line).  This will allow him to get a better draw and will make shooting even easier.  Looks like he was having a good time and that is as important.

          In Service
          Khadir