Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Blowguns

  • Mark Cipra
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1 5:11 AM
      I've been watching him practice. Amazing. You should see hit hit the clout (just kidding).

      Mark Cipra
      __

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1 7:48 AM
        Can you describe what you are using for darts?

        Logan

        > Gentlemen and Ladies,
        > >
        > I finally did it. I submitted 4 royal round scores shot with a
        > blowgun. I was using a 7 foot blowgun with a range sight and wooden
        > darts with metal points. My current average score is 55, which is
        > probably higher than I can shoot with a hand bow. It is also 15
        > points higher than I ever expected to shoot when I started two years
        > ago. The improvement was due to better darts. I have not yet had a
        > really calm day for shooting and I am making even better darts. If
        > the new design lets me load faster in the speed round and still gives
        > as good or better accuracy at 40 yards, then I am confident that I
        > may eventually shoot scores in the 70+ points range.
        > >
        > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1 1:16 PM
          Logan,

          You can find a photo of the wood fletched darts here
          http://www.alcheminc.com/blowgun.html . These are the ones I have
          found to be the most accurate at longer ranges.

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 24, 2010
          Rick,

          Ask and ye shall receive.

          Jim, Alchem Inc.

          >At 09:58 AM 11/24/2010, richard johnson wrote:

          Can you upload pics so we can see whatthey look like?

          On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

          To Whom It May Concern,

          If anyone is interested, I now have a pile of 50 caliber lined bamboo
          blowguns for sale cheap. These are the early medieval type which
          would have been in use in Europe prior to the 13th Century. They
          shoot a simple primitive dart made from bamboo shish kebab
          skewers. So the ammunition is cheap when home made. This caliber is
          ideal for use by children. That said, these are no more a toy than a
          child's bow. Blowguns were the medieval equivalent of a .22
          short. So if anyone wants to give their kid the medieval equivalent
          of a Red Rider BB Gun, this is it. The price will depend on the
          length. These are still an experimental weapon on SCA archery
          ranges, so you have to obtain permission from the marshal in charge
          before using one at an official SCA event.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com